The Boat Race (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Not been mentioned much but the posh boys sport event is this Sunday.So Oxford are well represented in the capital on the day.
I remember being at Craven Cottage to watch us play in the 70's and you could watch the boats go by on the Thames. They do get big crowds so even more security going on ?

dancers lance

Not been mentioned much but the posh boys sport event is this Sunday.So Oxford are well represented in the capital on the day.
I remember being at Craven Cottage to watch us play in the 70's and you could watch the boats go by on the Thames. They do get big crowds so even more security going on ?
A massive security wall made of Pimms and cucumber sandwiches ;)

rob9872

I normally prefer Oxford for no valid reason but this year feck em! Go on the Bridge!

lifeskyblue

2 of our daughters went to oxford so do support them in the boat race for that reason only but this year i will have to support Cambridge. However as I'm at Wembley Sunday I won't care what happens on the Thames.

PUSB

bringbackrattles

I say posh sport but rowing is tough and they're no wimps. My late father went to school in Rugby and he said they used to take the piss out of the posh kids in the town. He admitted the public school kids were hard as nails and always got the better of the rough kids in fights !

lifeskyblue

The problem I have with the boat race is that both teams are full of rowing internationals taken on by the universities just for the race.

PUSB

dancers lance

I say posh sport but rowing is tough and they're no wimps. My late father went to school in Rugby and he said they used to take the piss out of the posh kids in the town. He admitted the public school kids were hard as nails and always got the better of the rough kids in fights !
As a kid growing up in Canley we had our own version of the Boat Race, we would swim 10 yards in Canley Ford and whoever didn't swallow a turd was the winner!

Last edited:

Gazolba

What an anachronism the boat race is! Why would anyone be interested in rowers from two elite universities competing on a London river?
If it was the final of a competition in which many universities took part, it would have more meaning.

Johnnythespider

We came out of it naturally the worst
Beaten and bloody and I was sick down my shirt
We were no match for their untamed wit
Though some of the lads said they'll be back next week

Users who are viewing this thread