The boy in the striped pyjamas (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Is it conceivable that German citizens weren't aware of the concentration camps in the 1930's?

derbyskyblue

Is it conceivable that German citizens weren't aware of the concentration camps in the 1930's?
Not sure, but let me put it like this, used to work with a chap many years ago who helped liberate belsen concentration camp. They were actually going to go in hard thinking it was a german army base....till theses skeletal figures came out crying asking for food , water etc. He didn't know about concentration camps either....and this was in 1945.

Nick

Administrator
I haven't read the book but surely local people would have seen train fuls of people going in, drivers delivering things etc?

derbyskyblue

you would think so nick...but many didn't know , some turned a blind eye, some scared to say anything. Like i say this chap i worked with said they had tanks , artillery, air cover to attack belsen and they wasn't taking prisoners and these skeletal figures came out (german guards had done a runner) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KCKagd6Ihk

Sky Blue Pete

And sorry I should have said the treatment of the Jewish people in the 30's and concentration camps during the war. Good point derby. Makes me wonder how I would have reacted and all the more focused at seeking justice and peace where I do have influence

Users who are viewing this thread