The Butts (1 Viewer)

Generally Midfield

Woman at work this morning saying her husband went to a fans forum for Coventry rugby club earlier this week and the chairman said they have agreements in place with a rugby league team, Coventry City Ladies FC and Spartans (aka Cov Utd, the poor mans franchise) to install an artificial pitch which all four teams can use but CCFC are definitely not involved and the whole land lease thing is so the rugby club can build shops on the site as a money spinner.

Captain Dart

Woman at work this morning saying her husband went to a fans forum for Coventry rugby club earlier this week and the chairman said they have agreements in place with a rugby league team, Coventry City Ladies FC and Spartans (aka Cov Utd, the poor mans franchise) to install an artificial pitch which all four teams can use but CCFC are definitely not involved and the whole land lease thing is so the rugby club can build shops on the site as a money spinner.

Been on the cards for ages, Cov Utd have been talking to Cov RFC for several years and they've have bought Massey ground for training as I understand it.

duffer

At least Wasps didn't go for a synthetic pitch like they could have done and put us out of Coventry altogether. :angelic:

They've laid a semi-synthetic pitch, in fact which actually suits them better - don't kid yourself that our needs were front and centre when they did this.

And give it time mate, they've only got the ground and the academy so far. Given they don't want to talk about a deal, and in any case seem unable to offer what we need long term, I think there's every chance we'll be out of the City eventually. Keep taking the cash and writing the adverts though, eh. Ching ching. :)

duffer

Been on the cards for ages, Cov Utd have been talking to Cov RFC for several years and they've have bought Massey ground for training as I understand it.

I'm not sure about them buying Masseys in truth mate, the sports and social club have just invested in a new pavilion and other facilities up there. The deal to share with Cov RFC has been on the cards for a little while though - suits both teams I'd say.

The Reverend Skyblue

At least Wasps didn't go for a synthetic pitch like they could have done and put us out of Coventry altogether. :angelic:
What Rugby club in the UK has got a synthetic pitch, totally unsuitable for rugby as you know so have you made that up ?
apology waiting if you can come up with one as I have no interest at all in the boring game

duffer

What Rugby club in the UK has got a synthetic pitch, totally unsuitable for rugby as you know so have you made that up ?
apology waiting if you can come up with one as I have no interest at all in the boring game

Some people don't like football Rev, it's just a matter of opinion. At the top level Newcastle Falcons and I think Saracens have fully-synthetic 3G pitches I believe. Not ideal for rugby though; the Desso semi-sythentic ones like Wasps have laid are better for that...

Additionally, we had a contract with Wasps that would have prevented them installing a 3G pitch at the time it was relaid - it wasn't done as a favour to us.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Some people don't like football Rev, it's just a matter of opinion. At the top level Newcastle Falcons and I think Saracens have fully-synthetic 3G pitches I believe. Not ideal for rugby though; the Desso semi-sythentic ones like Wasps have laid are better for that...

Additionally, we had a contract with Wasps that would have prevented them doing installing a 3G pitch at the time it was relaid - it wasn't done as a favour to us.

Almost like giving up your ground was a bad idea, eh?

D

Deleted member 4439

and no different to central six, so long as they rejigged the entrances.

letsallsingtogether

I'm not sure about them buying Masseys in truth mate, the sports and social club have just invested in a new pavilion and other facilities up there. The deal to share with Cov RFC has been on the cards for a little while though - suits both teams I'd say.
I'm sure CUFC brought it last year, but I thought it was as there home ground.

duffer

I'm sure CUFC brought it last year, but I thought it was as there home ground.

You could be right LAST, though when I was up there earlier in the year and talking to the groundsman he was certainly still working for Masseys. In all honesty I wouldn't think it would suit CUFC's needs for their first team.

I know that Masseys own team dropped out of the Midland Combination because the ground requirements were too rigorous (The End for Massey Ferguson?). I can't see that CUFC would want less than this given their ambition but I don't want to claim insider knowledge.

clint van damme

It will flop just as the plan to build shops in the nearby former technical college flopped.
The former technkcal college is a premier inn which is extremely busy. I think shops would do well there. CRFC have some decent plans in place

dutchman

The former technkcal college is a premier inn which is extremely busy. I think shops would do well there.

My point was the owners of the Technical College abandoned plans to build shops and a restaurant on the ground floor and are now converting it to office space instead. Other shops in the area have not done well and plans to convert the former pub opposite to a restaurant have floundered.

Hobo

It's just what the city centre needs more empty shop units

Replace shops with retail outlets...gymnasium, fast food franchise, restaurant. The Premier Inn in the Butts College Building is often sold out especially at weekends. The site has potential. A lot of Ice hockey fans populate the Butts Premier and Ramada. The area has potential to be more vibrant than it already is and is in walking distance of the city centre. Possibly more potential than the Ricoh.

Terry Gibson's perm

Replace shops with retail outlets...gymnasium, fast food franchise, restaurant. The Premier Inn in the Butts College Building is often sold out especially at weekends. The site has potential. A lot of Ice hockey fans populate the Butts Premier and Ramada. The area has potential to be more vibrant than it already is and is in walking distance of the city centre. Possibly more potential than the Ricoh.

You would have to ask the university if they are happy with other people developing :D

Hobo

You would have to ask the university if they are happy with other people developing :D

There is a hand in hand agreement waiting to happen. Physiotherapy, sports degrees all at Cov Uni.....Academy?...Partnership?...SISU just haven't got the business sense to see it.

shmmeee

Indeed (if you're talking about HR, the Ricoh was techncially never ours to give up).

Either way, it wasn't as stupid and immoral an idea as selling the Ricoh to a franchise - but hell as long as we've given SISU a bloody nose what does that matter, eh?

What you on about?

We had a secure tenancy. Now we don't. That's literally all there is too it.

Keep spitting feathers at the guy who's dating the girl you dumped though.

Captain Dart

My point was the owners of the Technical College abandoned plans to build shops and a restaurant on the ground floor and are now converting it to office space instead. Other shops in the area have not done well and plans to convert the former pub opposite to a restaurant have floundered.
If there was a serious plan to develop the Butts for CCFC then that pub site would have been snapped up by now. There never was a plan, just more smoke & mirrors.

Otis

If there was a serious plan to develop the Butts for CCFC then that pub site would have been snapped up by now. There never was a plan, just more smoke & mirrors.
Which I believe was to be the name of the newly restored pub.

Terry Gibson's perm

We should stop all the messing about and buy Nuneaton Town and their ground and develop that put a car park on the rugby pitch would be a good start

Hobo

Indeed (if you're talking about HR, the Ricoh was techncially never ours to give up).

Either way, it wasn't as stupid and immoral an idea as selling the Ricoh to a franchise - but hell as long as we've given SISU a bloody nose what does that matter, eh?

1. There was a lot of sense in selling Highfield Road, but perhaps the plans got too grand. Also maybe individuals played an opportunist card?

2. SISU had first bite of the cherry but got distracted by the pay out of quick promotion. Potential development opportunities would piggy back that for potential buyers.

3. People get distracted by SISU trying to drive down the Ricohs value (that certainly soured relationships). But what is overlooked is they never put forward viable development plans. Not only did this erode confidence in their business ability, it spawned suspicion and speculation about their real motives for the site.

4. Add on their conflicting and at times confrontational publicity statements and you have a self destruct policy of Ratners proportions.

I don't know why I should feel sorry for them? I don't know why they are feeling sorry for themselves? They have missed a catalogue of business opportunity!

duffer

What you on about?

We had a secure tenancy. Now we don't. That's literally all there is too it.

Keep spitting feathers at the guy who's dating the girl you dumped though.

Ah, a stretched metaphor, you should perhaps warm up properly before you post. Still, makes a change from your usual straw man arguments I suppose.

Basically then, you've got one bloke who gets paid by Wasps and it's easy enough to understand why he supports them.

Fans like you supporting the deal with them is mystifying however - your hatred of SISU has blinded you to the obvious and you've done so many somersaults to try to justify it that you've just ended up with your panties in a fucking huge knot.

The only point you can ever make is that we've got shit owners - who here doesn't get that? Using it to disregard everything else that's been done to the club is just lazy one-eyed idiocy though, I'm afraid.

Flying Fokker

They've laid a semi-synthetic pitch, in fact which actually suits them better - don't kid yourself that our needs were front and centre when they did this.

And give it time mate, they've only got the ground and the academy so far. Given they don't want to talk about a deal, and in any case seem unable to offer what we need long term, I think there's every chance we'll be out of the City eventually. Keep taking the cash and writing the adverts though, eh. Ching ching. :)

Or taken in to the sports club format that they seem to be building. Which is not a major problem for me because any move away from Coventry (Regardless of blame) is not acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread