The Butts (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

A secure tenancy that the tenant signed up for and here we go again......round and round
What was the alternative?

But you're right no need to rehash old arguments, it's universally accepted that the previous agreement was crippling the club.

chiefdave

I thought the clause already existed. Originally put in to protect the rugby club?
The current lease is rugby only, that is being changed (if it wasn't Cov Utd wouldn't be able to play there). The suggestion from the council was that as part of the change a clause was inserted to allow other uses but specify that professional football couldn't be played there.

Otis

Yep. Problem is, as a support, we are so desperate for and end to our problems we tend to jump on anything that gives us a glimmer of hope and blow it our of all proportion, (I include myself in that).
BPA, Malakas investment post, Simon Jordan.
There are a myriad of reasons why BPA won't happen but I think you've hit upon the main one, CRFC wouldn't touch CCFC with a barge pole, (at least with sisu at the helm).
Yes. BPA was a non-starter, but we as City fans so wanted it to be true.

Irish Sky Blue

BPA was a complete non starter, Fisher had to be seen as at least trying to be doing something new ground related after being exposed by that freedom of information request.

Fisher can blame fans and CCC as much as he likes but CRFC would not touch SISU with a barge pole. Yes it's blame SISU again but they are the common denominator in all CCFC problems.

The FOI requests seems to me to be the conclusive proof that Fisher has been lying all along. In one of his "two sites down to one site soon" interviews I am sure he actually stated that the local authority of which the "favoured" site was in were thrilled about the proposed plans and would look favourably on a planning application. I am sure this was in the CT. The FOI requests seem like the ideal stick to beat him with and yet whenever he is interviewed, Talksport, or Cov and Warwicks, none of the interviewers bring it up. I am no expert, but surely one of the first things that you would do when you identify a site for a building, let alone one as big as a football stadium, is to contact the LA to see what their initial views on the site would be.The FOI requests show that no local council, I think the requests went out to 12 of them, have had any conversation with CCFC about a new ground. How would Fisher worm his way out of that? It would be good to see him really embarrassed if that were possible.

Gosford Green

If you do the corporate thing at BPA the chairman or other club senior apparatchiks often work the room and take questions, the SISU was asked quite often.

CRFC are performing well on the pitch and interest In the sport is increasing since "you know who" arrived and gates are increasing.
Coventry people see the club as their own and with the BPA secure the club is looking to expand in several ways.

In other words look how SISU have tainted and almost destroyed the city's football club do you really think we want to have any of that?
The FOI requests seems to me to be the conclusive proof that Fisher has been lying all along. In one of his "two sites down to one site soon" interviews I am sure he actually stated that the local authority of which the "favoured" site was in were thrilled about the proposed plans and would look favourably on a planning application. I am sure this was in the CT. The FOI requests seem like the ideal stick to beat him with and yet whenever he is interviewed, Talksport, or Cov and Warwicks, none of the interviewers bring it up. I am no expert, but surely one of the first things that you would do when you identify a site for a building, let alone one as big as a football stadium, is to contact the LA to see what their initial views on the site would be.The FOI requests show that no local council, I think the requests went out to 12 of them, have had any conversation with CCFC about a new ground. How would Fisher worm his way out of that? It would be good to see him really embarrassed if that were possible.

Most people would resign just on the basis of that.

It's hardly mentioned on here either, now if a fan blows a whistle?

Nick

Administrator
Most people would resign just on the basis of that.

It's hardly mentioned on here either, now if a fan blows a whistle?
A whistle that causes the opposition to score you mean? Amazing how things sound so different when you miss bits off

Gosford Green

A whistle that causes the opposition to score you mean? Amazing how things sound so different when you miss bits off

Chairman of the club outed as a serial bulkshiter, no ground deal after summer 2018. Blame Wasps/ council/ Higgs/CT or no comment on the matter.

Fan with whistle is seen as the reason we drew game draws a comment in seconds.

I think that explains where we are at with Nick. No more words are needed.

Nick

Administrator
Chairman of the club outed as a serial bulkshiter, no ground deal after summer 2018. Blame Wasps/ council/ Higgs/CT or no comment on the matter.

He has hardly only just been outed as a Serial Bullshitter has he?

Wasn't it Cov Rugby who first said it at their fans meeting?

Still, Fisher is full of shit so it means it's perfectly fine for others to be dicks right?

Gosford Green

He has hardly only just been outed as a Serial Bullshitter has he?

Wasn't it Cov Rugby who first said it at their fans meeting?

Still, Fisher is full of shit so it means it's perfectly fine for others to be dicks right?

Not sure and not bothered as it's a none story whipped up mainly by the CT oddly.

All I recall is CCFC making noise and apportioning blame on the council before anything even got off the ground,

Fisher hinted the pitch invasion would damage a deal/talks. CRFC then issued a denial about any such thing. Here lays the problem with CCFC, totally awful management, not the fans.

clint van damme

you're actually the one bullshitting now.

There were whole threads devoted to calling fisher out, I started one of them.
I also called out the fuckwit who blew the whistle.

Some of us can think about two different hings at the same time, that also doesn't mean we give them parity of importance.

wingy

Not sure and not bothered as it's a none story whipped up mainly by the CT oddly.

All I recall is CCFC making noise and apportioning blame on the council before anything even got off the ground,

Fisher hinted the pitch invasion would damage a deal/talks. CRFC then issued a denial about any such thing. Here lays the problem with CCFC, totally awful management, not the fans.
Pretty sure it came from Les Reid at the Observer first.

Gosford Green

you're actually the one bullshitting now.

There were whole threads devoted to calling fisher out, I started one of them.
I also called out the fuckwit who blew the whistle.

Some of us can think about two different hings at the same time, that also doesn't mean we give them parity of importance.

You could always try reading what I said.

I was referring to this sites esteemed admin and owner not the site in general.

I can't recall him mount mounting such a concerted tirade against Fisher as I did towards a pissed fan with a whistle.

skybluetony176

I can't recall him mount mounting such a concerted tirade against Fisher as I did towards a pissed fan with a whistle.

Well what do you expect? The fan apparently cost us two points. What's Fisher ever cost us? The two don't compare ;)

clint van damme

My mistake, I've quoted the wrong post, in post 76 you said:

"It's hardly mentioned on here either, now if a fan blows a whistle?"

Implying fishers bullshit didn't get mentioned when it has, it sounded like a go at the forum in general which is divisive.

Apologies if I've read something into that that isn't there but it's ridiculous to suggest that people shouldn't be pissed off with the whistler because sisu are cunts, it's possible to hold both trains of thought.

Calista

Ah, a stretched metaphor, you should perhaps warm up properly before you post. Still, makes a change from your usual straw man arguments I suppose.

Basically then, you've got one bloke who gets paid by Wasps and it's easy enough to understand why he supports them.

Fans like you supporting the deal with them is mystifying however - your hatred of SISU has blinded you to the obvious and you've done so many somersaults to try to justify it that you've just ended up with your panties in a fucking huge knot.

The only point you can ever make is that we've got shit owners - who here doesn't get that? Using it to disregard everything else that's been done to the club is just lazy one-eyed idiocy though, I'm afraid.

Duffer, you’ve taken a principled stance and said some pretty harsh things about those who disagree - stupid, immoral, lazy idiocy etc.

The Council flogged the stadium business to Wasps, who moved from the London area to Coventry, and as a result Coventry City lost any chance to have a stake in the venue which was built for them. It’s a no-brainer, you have to oppose it don’t you?

So I ask myself why in reality I didn’t (and can’t) oppose the move? And then I remember …

- Their fans didn’t mount any meaningful opposition. No marches to Twickenham, no questions in Parliament, no appeal to Sky Blues fans to help them – just a bit of angst on Twitter and a poorly-supported petition. There was never a cause to support, because they moved to a dormitory town for so long and their identity had been weakened too much.

- People who follow rugby around here seem to love what’s happened. They’ve brought top sport to the city, with all that entails including sponsors, and I really don’t see much controversy about it in the press or the sports world in general. Are they really all stupid and immoral, and is it right to criticise their enjoyment and success?

- Crucially, the Council didn’t have the ideal alternative of working constructively with the local football club. The inevitable consequence of turning Wasps away would have been, at great cost to the public purse, to submit to the demands of SISU – the very people everyone agrees are useless and impossible to deal with. What a huge call that would have been.

I think Councillors of all parties were pitched into a difficult moral and financial maze, and took the decisions they felt they had to take. Fair play to anyone who’s 100% certain they did the wrong thing, but at least respect the other ways of looking at it.

Calista

At the end of the day we all support CCFC, and we’re all as frustrated as hell that we can’t do anything about the situation. I guess it’s not surprising that we shout at each other. I mean look at this thread, it starts off about the Butts, and ends up with arguments about Wasps and whistles :)

Irish Sky Blue

,l
Duffer, you’ve taken a principled stance and said some pretty harsh things about those who disagree - stupid, immoral, lazy idiocy etc.

The Council flogged the stadium business to Wasps, who moved from the London area to Coventry, and as a result Coventry City lost any chance to have a stake in the venue which was built for them. It’s a no-brainer, you have to oppose it don’t you?

So I ask myself why in reality I didn’t (and can’t) oppose the move? And then I remember …

- Their fans didn’t mount any meaningful opposition. No marches to Twickenham, no questions in Parliament, no appeal to Sky Blues fans to help them – just a bit of angst on Twitter and a poorly-supported petition. There was never a cause to support, because they moved to a dormitory town for so long and their identity had been weakened too much.

- People who follow rugby around here seem to love what’s happened. They’ve brought top sport to the city, with all that entails including sponsors, and I really don’t see much controversy about it in the press or the sports world in general. Are they really all stupid and immoral, and is it right to criticise their enjoyment and success?

- Crucially, the Council didn’t have the ideal alternative of working constructively with the local football club. The inevitable consequence of turning Wasps away would have been, at great cost to the public purse, to submit to the demands of SISU – the very people everyone agrees are useless and impossible to deal with. What a huge call that would have been.

I think Councillors of all parties were pitched into a difficult moral and financial maze, and took the decisions they felt they had to take. Fair play to anyone who’s 100% certain they did the wrong thing, but at least respect the other ways of looking at it.

I agree with most things you say except the fact that it was okay for Wasps to upsticks and move because their fans made little fuss. The fact remains that that club was ripped away from the region where it began its existence and from the fans who had supported it and kept it going. I am sure there are people in the south east who have lost a big part of their lives by Wasps moving here. Sports clubs should belong to the communities that created them and not be moved simply on the whim of business people who have no affinity with that club. Despite the council's assurances Wasps have certainly harmed CCFC and I can't see their precense as being good for CRFC either.
They have nothing to do with Coventry. Who were all of the local Wasps fans supporting before? Had they supported Coventry Rugby Club perhaps they would now be alongside Wasps in the premier league.

Hobo

The current lease is rugby only, that is being changed (if it wasn't Cov Utd wouldn't be able to play there). The suggestion from the council was that as part of the change a clause was inserted to allow other uses but specify that professional football couldn't be played there.

Yes but it is an old clause. You suggested the council had an emergency meeting to make it to spite SISU.

It was an original clause inserted to protect the site for Coventry Rugby Club. Stop your spin mate, the situation is clouded enough.

peeler

Woman at work this morning saying her husband went to a fans forum for Coventry rugby club earlier this week and the chairman said they have agreements in place with a rugby league team, Coventry City Ladies FC and Spartans (aka Cov Utd, the poor mans franchise) to install an artificial pitch which all four teams can use but CCFC are definitely not involved and the whole land lease thing is so the rugby club can build shops on the site as a money spinner.

There's no such team as Coventry City Ladies FC.

Nick

Administrator

Really? Have a look at the lengthy posts about chairman etc.

It wasn't just a fan with a whistle, you really should explain things fully.

Somebody who blew a whistle which then caused us to concede and not win a game. Strange that a football fan would be annoyed

It's almost like you want to justify it because Fisher talks rubbish.

Nick

Administrator
Yes but it is an old clause. You suggested the council had an emergency meeting to make it to spite SISU.

It was an original clause inserted to protect the site for Coventry Rugby Club. Stop your spin mate, the situation is clouded enough.
What was the suggestion about specifically pro football about?

Hobo

Really? Have a look at the lengthy posts about chairman etc.

It wasn't just a fan with a whistle, you really should explain things fully.

Somebody who blew a whistle which then caused us to concede and not win a game. Strange that a football fan would be annoyed

It's almost like you want to justify it because Fisher talks rubbish.

Why are you still flogging this dead horse Nick? Most of us have moved on. No player involved has said it affected them. Therefore no proof. Other bystanders perception is not proof, just conjecture.

Hobo

What was the suggestion about specifically pro football about?

Reply with something that makes sense.

The clause was in place before SISU showed any interest. The poster suggests CCC implemented the clause once SISU showed an interest in the site. I know you hate incorrect facts and like balance so you owe me a like.

chiefdave

The clause was in place before SISU showed any interest. The poster suggests CCC implemented the clause once SISU showed an interest in the site. I know you hate incorrect facts and like balance so you owe me a like.
The clause in place doesn't allow any sport apart from rugby. There was a requirement to change it as part of CRFC purchasing the lease. When it became know CCFC were talking to CRFC about a groundshare CCC wanted to get the clause amended to forbid professional football.

Nick

Administrator
Reply with something that makes sense.

What was the clause in place and why did they suggest adding one specifically about pro football?

No, ccc tried to add the clause about pro football once they heard about it. That's true and fact.

Nick

Administrator
Why are you still flogging this dead horse Nick? Most of us have moved on. No player involved has said it affected them. Therefore no proof. Other bystanders perception is not proof, just conjecture.
I didn't bring it up did I?

There was video proof, a player on his debut isn't going to come out and say that.

Hobo

The clause in place doesn't allow any sport apart from rugby. There was a requirement to change it as part of CRFC purchasing the lease. When it became know CCFC were talking to CRFC about a groundshare CCC wanted to get the clause amended to forbid professional football.

I know. But CCC didn't rush off and insert it. It was a historic clause before you probably realised Coventry Rugby played at the Butts and before SISU talked bollocks about being interested in it. I think you have just invented the "professional" football bit. It was a historic clause to protect the site for Coventry Rugby club. The fact American football and Rugby League has been played on the site for a number of years and soon Coventry United, shows there is not a draconian policy in place. Also Coventry Rugby it appears have their own plans for the site around development. I don't see what SISU can bring to their party?

Has Fisher shown any intent with money on the table around development? Have they applied for "Professional Football" to be played? Or is it more smoke and mirrors with no substance and just bleating about being hard done by?

Hobo

I didn't bring it up did I?

There was video proof, a player on his debut isn't going to come out and say that.

Aren't managers and senior players there for that? You will still be bleating about this at the end of the season.

As I said last week..ditch the whistles it is a really crap form of protest. But I am not convinced it cost us a goal. But the point is it could cost someone a goal and either way that would be wrong. The fact it pisses fans off is wrong. But poor defending cost us the goal.

Nick

Administrator
Aren't managers and senior players there for that? You will still be bleating about this at the end of the season.

As I said last week..ditch the whistles it is a really crap form of protest. But I am not convinced it cost us a goal. But the point is it could cost someone a goal and either way that would be wrong. The fact it pisses fans off is wrong. But poor defending cost us the goal.

Again, you do realise I didn't bring it up don't you?

Nick

Administrator
But posting on the back of it
As you are you mean? What you should really do is make comment at it being brought up then rather than moan at me for replying to it, when you are also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread