The Club that vanished (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Did anyone else see this SKY programme on Sunday.

The story of Gretna Football Club. For a few brief seasons (around 6 years) they had terrific success rising from Village club through the divisions to the SPL, Cup final and even Europe. Then in 2008 it all fell apart and Gretna folded, disappeared over night.

Sky Sports documentary marks 10-year anniversary of Gretna's doomed fairytale

Nick

Administrator
Didn't see it but looks / sounds quite interesting. Haven't got Sky channels but will keep an eye out for it to see if I can get it to watch.

Looking about them on Wiki and they played in both English and Scottish football, imagine playing them away!

steve82

Yes seen it a few years ago. Very interesting, enjoyed there rise in my football coupon for a few years with the Dr up top scoring for fun

wingy

Yeah remember the era well.
Makes you wonder why no one else picked up the mantle.
Would FGR or Fleetwood survive a similar sudden loss of benefactor.

Nick

Administrator
It's a perfect example of when people plough money in the club can't afford then for various reasons the money tap stops, isn't too much different to Leyton Orient.

Liquid Gold

Sounds interesting. Bump the thread if you ever see a stream online for the doc as I don't have sky.

Gazolba

Lots of clubs have vanished. I was going through old winners of various cups like FA Amateur Cup, FA Trophy and Vase and leagues like the Southern League.
Lots of the clubs have ceased to exist or merged with other clubs.
Walthamstow Avenue is an example of a once famous club that is no more.

NorthernWisdom

It's a perfect example of when people plough money in the club can't afford then for various reasons the money tap stops, isn't too much different to Leyton Orient.
Quite different to Leyton Orient in that Gretna reached their national cup final, and played in European Competition.

The question more worth asking is would you sacrifice your club for that, when your club was going nowhere much before that?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Quite different to Leyton Orient in that Gretna reached their national cup final, and played in European Competition.

The question more worth asking is would you sacrifice your club for that, when your club was going nowhere much before that?

No.

Currently I'm leaning towards school of thought that doesnt even want to return to the top 2 divisions due to their financially poisonous and morally bankrupt nature......

........although I also obvioulsy acknowledge the whole game is currently fucked up beyond belief......

......yet im stilll jelous of the sba who will be there tomorrow......

Its a funny old game......

Users who are viewing this thread