The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (11 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chiefdave

IMO, people living without a home are either doing it by choice or mentally ill. I base this on several experiences:
Don't agree with that at all. How many people, if they were unexpectedly to lose their jobs, could sustain themselves through a few months of unemployment. If you have a mortgage that's not covered by benefit. You're likely to have credit to pay, be it car loans, credit cards or something else.

It wouldn't take much for most people, especially if they don't have family to rely on.

clint van damme

Don't agree with that at all. How many people, if they were unexpectedly to lose their jobs, could sustain themselves through a few months of unemployment. If you have a mortgage that's not covered by benefit. You're likely to have credit to pay, be it car loans, credit cards or something else.

It wouldn't take much for most people, especially if they don't have family to rely on.

they call it living paycheck to paycheck in the Sates and they reckon approximately 8 million would be vulnerable after a month if they lost their job in this country.

I don't know how accurate this figure is though. If you try and find the percentage for America the figures vary massively, from 50% upto 75%.

Even if the 8 million figure is out by 50% and only 4 million are vulnerable, that's still a fairly frightening statistic.

Ashdown

Many people are ridiculous with money too. They have no self discipline, no self control and always seek to keep up with the Jones's. There are many people who make the wrong choices, throw money and food away regularly, have to have everything that's trending. Facebook and shit like that have a lot to answer for, impressionable idiots always snooping to see what they are missing out on. In general most folk need to rein in their expectations for life, take some pleasure from the simple things, things that don't involve a fortune spent on electronic gadgets, gambling or extortionate travel options etc

mrtrench

University debt isn't normally a problem. It only gets repaid after earnings reach a certain level. But then if they are earning just over the threshold it becomes a problem.

How do you get a mortgage when you already owe £50k of university debt?

mrtrench

Chief Dave and Astute. I agree with you. I haven't made myself clear. I know many families who have just enough to get by every month. Ashdown has a point that many of these families also have the latest iphone and gadgets that I wouldn't imagine buying for myself because I'm frugal - but let's not dwell on that because there will be families on low pay who don't. I'm sure there are many like this who get into difficulties and end up in temporary accommodation. I'd say the ones that had enough to save and didn't have to some extent brought it onto themselves but the others didn't. My point was about people living on the streets.

mrtrench

Fair play.

Part of me feels it needs to be videoed for some Channel 5 TV show though ;)

Cheeky. If you have a picture in your head of me as a tweed-sporting dandy you'd be disappointed. Still have a Cov' accent and dress in 20 year old clothes.

Astute

How do you get a mortgage when you already owe £50k of university debt?
Like I said the difficulty is when earnings just come above where you have to pay back the loan. Mortgages are just part of it.

Astute

I'm sure there are many like this who get into difficulties and end up in temporary accommodation.
But as I said if you don't have kids of a certain age you don't qualify for emergency housing. Councils have to prioritise the homeless as there is so many. Then you have the bedroom tax if you are on benefits. It is getting really hard to survive if you lose your job and don't have younger kids. Or how about landlords that hand you notice to leave as they want to put the rent up?

Astute

Cheeky. If you have a picture in your head of me as a tweed-sporting dandy you'd be disappointed. Still have a Cov' accent and dress in 20 year old clothes.
Don't you think it is time that you bought some new clothes? There is being frugal and there is being tight :rolleyes:

Captain Dart

I have stuff that is 20 yrs old but will never wear it.
I thought you meant you were still dressing like a 20 yr old.
Well if he is 40ish then yes, but a 20 year old from the mid 90's :nailbiting:

Astute

Shall I put one up that shows those crying about the remainers acting like spoilt brats who will do anything in the hope of getting their own way?

Or another that shows what they were worried about what would happen if there was a leave vote? The problem is that the worrying points didn't happen so they make out that those who voted leave haven't got a clue what they voted for.

chiefdave

Shall I put one up that shows those crying about the remainers acting like spoilt brats who will do anything in the hope of getting their own way?

Or another that shows what they were worried about what would happen if there was a leave vote? The problem is that the worrying points didn't happen so they make out that those who voted leave haven't got a clue what they voted for.
Yep go for it.

dutchman

tumblr_o8m58gvpau1slqt1mo1_1280.jpg

wingy

I had an Interesting chat walking up to the game yesterday with a spritely 83 year old gent (If I were to make that age I doubt I'd be so mobile)
So his view was he didn't want be dictated to from Germany and all the other obvious failings of open borders on Housing, Schools, Infrastructure etc. For me those arguments are, apart from Borders better solved by domestic policy.
So as I was with my 15 yr old Nephew it was interesting as I relaid the conversation to hear him insist his agegroup should have been given the Vote.

Terry Gibson's perm

I had an Interesting chat walking up to the game yesterday with a spritely 83 year old gent (If I were to make that age I doubt I'd be so mobile)
So his view was he didn't want be dictated to from Germany and all the other obvious failings of open borders on Housing, Schools, Infrastructure etc. For me those arguments are, apart from Borders better solved by domestic policy.
So as I was with my 15 yr old Nephew it was interesting as I relaid the conversation to hear him insist his agegroup should have been given the Vote.

Where would it end though with the ages? Also why did he feel he should get a vote as a few young people I spoke to were only worried about ease of holidays and gap year or travelling problems.

Grendel

I would genuinely like to invite you to a homeless shelter for young adults where I volunteer, you can listen to their stories and learn about some real life experiences. We're both on the south coast.

Mr trench isn't saying that there isn't poverty and hardship in this country. There of course is.

The point is though that the definition of poverty is used to create an unrealistic view of this society. There is a welfare system which is supportive. I've seen poverty in some parts of the world that defy anything that exists here.

Poverty in this country would be considered luxury in others. Everything is relative.

ccfc92

I still don't understand how Cameron can call a vote, then when the result is leave, it's suddenly not possible/illegal without Parliament etc? Surely they knew this before the EU vote?

chiefdave

I still don't understand how Cameron can call a vote, then when the result is leave, it's suddenly not possible/illegal without Parliament etc? Surely they knew this before the EU vote?
Everyone did, that was what was in the referendum bill. It was only every advisory and would need to go through parliament however it was expected parliament would vote in line with the referendum result.

What's happening now is they are trying to avoid using the agreed process. I have a suspicion that is because they know the longer they delay it going to parliament the more chance there is it won't be voted straight through.

ccfc92

Everyone did, that was what was in the referendum bill. It was only every advisory and would need to go through parliament however it was expected parliament would vote in line with the referendum result.

What's happening now is they are trying to avoid using the agreed process. I have a suspicion that is because they know the longer they delay it going to parliament the more chance there is it won't be voted straight through.

It was hardly put across that way though in the lead up.

It was a simple leave or stay, stay and "you secure Britain's future for your children", leave and you're a skin headed fascist. (These are not anyone's exact words) *cough*

ccfc92

I assume though, that as the vote was Leave, they can't overturn that vote? They'd have to have another vote, if anything?

wingy

Where would it end though with the ages? Also why did he feel he should get a vote as a few young people I spoke to were only worried about ease of holidays and gap year or travelling problems.
Could anyone have objected to 16yr olds having a say as Scotland had been permitted.
It may have covered but did no one raise it?

chiefdave

I assume though, that as the vote was Leave, they can't overturn that vote? They'd have to have another vote, if anything?
They can't overturn the vote as such but they can choose to ignore it as it was advisory.

Similar happening in the states, there are some pushing for the electoral college not to put Trump through even in areas he won the vote.

chiefdave

After months of analysing the data at the most localised levels possible Martin Rodenbaum, on behalf of the BBC, has concluded the following:

The data confirms previous indications that local results were strongly associated with the educational attainment of voters - populations with lower qualifications were significantly more likely to vote Leave. (The data for this analysis comes from one in nine wards)

The level of education had a higher correlation with the voting pattern than any other major demographic measure from the census

The age of voters was also important, with older electorates more likely to choose Leave

Ethnicity was crucial in some places, with ethnic minority areas generally more likely to back Remain. However this varied, and in parts of London some Asian populations were more likely to support Leave

The combination of education, age and ethnicity accounts for the large majority of the variation in votes between different places

Across the country and in many council districts we can point out stark contrasts between localities which most favoured Leave or Remain

There was a broad pattern in several urban areas of deprived, predominantly white, housing estates towards the urban periphery voting Leave, while inner cities with high numbers of ethnic minorities and/or students voted Remain

Around 270 locations can be identified where the local outcome was in the opposite direction to the broader official counting area, including parts of Scotland which backed Leave and a Cornwall constituency which voted Remain

Postal voters appear narrowly more likely to have backed Remain than those who voted in a polling station

jimmyhillsfanclub

A total waste of the licence fee heads should roll at the BBC for this.

Certainly smacks of research for researches sake......confirming what the vast majority already knew.....

After months of analysing all the data available, the delicate bbc flower can confirm that water, is indeed wet.

Maybe though...just maybe....the "less educated" didn't vote leave because they're thick....

..maybe it has something to do with their wages being suppressed or their livelihoods threatened by the expansionist EU policies......

....How very dare they.

Dear BBC....get over it.

Users who are viewing this thread