The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (10 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dutchman

How do you know those who were registering later voted remain?

Because the pro-EU government wouldn't have allowed it if they thought otherwise.

And wouldn't democracy be having as many people as possible voting

Provided they actually live here and legally qualify, yes.

Of course the solution is to hold the vote again.

Like they did in Ireland you mean?

Kingokings204

No-one is disputing the result in the courts or the Lords. I don't know where you got that from. Farage when pressed about a supposedly clear statement wriggled and tried to twist it round. What a surprise.

52/48 would not be acceptable in most countries' parliaments or constitutions to enforce a major change like Brexit. Usually you need a two thirds majority.

Hardly a decisive vote. First past the post,yes. Not a convincing mandate though.

They are trying to frustrate and delay the process though and that's wrong.

Not a convincing mandate? Anyone would think we haven't just had the largest election turnout ever. Biggest democratic process ever in the U.K. and you call it not a mandate. I give up.

Kingokings204

Remoaners? Sounds like someone reads too much of the the Sun/Mail/Express.

It's difficult to take anyone seriously who users the terms remoaners/breshiteers.

What have the eurosceptics being doing for the last 40 years? Did they not accept a clear result? Did they just suck it up?

In the long-run the UK will end up trying to rejoin when Empire 2.0 is shown up for what it is..only this time it'll probably get rejected.

Remoaners is a term only for a bit of fun. Is fun allowed in politics anymore. Calm down it was just a bit of jest.

Ok so remainers are in my opinion struggling to accept the result. So much so they want to over turn a democratic decision. The lords certainly do.

Sick Boy

Remoaners is a term only for a bit of fun. Is fun allowed in politics anymore. Calm down it was just a bit of jest.

Ok so remainers are in my opinion struggling to accept the result. So much so they want to over turn a democratic decision. The lords certainly do.

It has nothing to do with politics and is a term that has been invented by the vile rags such as the Mail and the Express.

martcov

They are trying to frustrate and delay the process though and that's wrong.

Not a convincing mandate? Anyone would think we haven't just had the largest election turnout ever. Biggest democratic process ever in the U.K. and you call it not a mandate. I give up.

So you should. You cannot distinguish between a 4% majority and a high turnout. The fact that, despite the high turnout, leave could only reach a 4% majority shows that the result is far from being convincing. A win, but not be a decent margin.

They are trying to frustrate and delay the process though and that's wrong

No, they are trying to ensure that the law of the land is followed. It is democracy, get over it.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'd say the fact this thread is about to get to 100 pages suggests there might be a problem with people accepting the result.

The same attitudes towards the result are not disimilair to the ones that pushed a lot of people to turn against the remain campaign.

Liquid Gold

I wish people would give up deeply held personal beliefs so easily too. It's an indication of how much the EU means to people that this thread is at 100 pages and people are trying to prevent or delay it. European before British.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The EU meaning a lot to people is not an excuse for half the stuff this thread has contained, be it derogatory comments or ganging up on others.

It's effectively 100 pages of people that mostly don't comment on the football getting upset because they didn't get their own way. 'The democracy' argument is just a smokescreen and once article 50 is triggered, I imagine they'll be another showpiece to take its place.

It was a close referendum, but if you lose one nil, you lose one nil. You don't circle the referee for the next 9 months asking for a rematch because maybe the team you put out wasn't as good as you thought, or the tactics you deployed were wrong.

Grendel

In other words the result was far from convincing.

Regarding your opinion that a two thirds majority is required for a referendum should that apply to Scotland and the independence vote ?

Kingokings204

So you should. You cannot distinguish between a 4% majority and a high turnout. The fact that, despite the high turnout, leave could only reach a 4% majority shows that the result is far from being convincing. A win, but not be a decent margin.

No, they are trying to ensure that the law of the land is followed. It is democracy, get over it.

So you admit leave won. That's a good start now instead of blaming a leave win on we all "bought it" maybe accept a lot voted based upon their own beliefs that the Eu doesn't work for Britain or them. It's called democracy and what happens is there is a vote when you chose one of two ways and then you have a count up. One side will win and one will lose. That simple.

I know you're not happy with the result Martcov and that's fine I get that bit but by not accepting the result and blaming it on everything you can find to suit your agenda when that won't change the result is just sour grapes to me. Be unhappy with the result by all means but be a democrat and accept the result also.

As for the lords if you really think they are trying to ensure the law of the land is followed then sadly some can't be helped. It's a clear attempt to delay frustrate and even over turn the result. Ironically of all by a group of unelected old men mainly who ride a gravy train. Maybe we should have a refendum on the House of Lords?

martcov

The EU meaning a lot to people is not an excuse for half the stuff this thread has contained, be it derogatory comments or ganging up on others.

It's effectively 100 pages of people that mostly don't comment on the football getting upset because they didn't get their own way. 'The democracy' argument is just a smokescreen and once article 50 is triggered, I imagine they'll be another showpiece to take its place.

It was a close referendum, but if you lose one nil, you lose one nil. You don't circle the referee for the next 9 months asking for a rematch because maybe the team you put out wasn't as good as you thought, or the tactics you deployed were wrong.

If you lose 1:0, then there is always next season. You are not out forevermore - hopefully.

One team's fans will be happy with 1:0, the others will not. They won't be asked to now support the other team though.

martcov

So you admit leave won. That's a good start now instead of blaming a leave win on we all "bought it" maybe accept a lot voted based upon their own beliefs that the Eu doesn't work for Britain or them. It's called democracy and what happens is there is a vote when you chose one of two ways and then you have a count up. One side will win and one will lose. That simple.

I know you're not happy with the result Martcov and that's fine I get that bit but by not accepting the result and blaming it on everything you can find to suit your agenda when that won't change the result is just sour grapes to me. Be unhappy with the result by all means but be a democrat and accept the result also.

As for the lords if you really think they are trying to ensure the law of the land is followed then sadly some can't be helped. It's a clear attempt to delay frustrate and even over turn the result. Ironically of all by a group of unelected old men mainly who ride a gravy train. Maybe we should have a refendum on the House of Lords?

I have accepted the result. I think it is the wrong result and will continue to criticize it.

It was a narrow result and there are many people like myself who think it was the wrong outcome.

Time will tell who is right.

The Lords has not overturned Brexit. The Lords reviews all acts- that's why it's there. It makes amendments and passes it back to the commons.

Normal procedure. I understand you don't like it, but that is democracy.

If you want to mention gravy train..... how many times did Farage turn up for the Fisheries Commission? How much did he get paid for being on the commission? How much EU money did UKIP funnel off for their own campaign via Farage's mistress ( sorry, the tasty French waitress that he is helping out with accommodation)?

martcov

Regarding your opinion that a two thirds majority is required for a referendum should that apply to Scotland and the independence vote ?

Not now. We have set a precedent on this subject. That is the danger of referenda.

We have set the ball rolling with the use of referenda - in Scotland and for the EU.

Northern Ireland will probably always be first past the post because it is not really about politics, it is about ethnicity and history. It will always be divisive because of the population make up.

England and Wales pulling out of the EU whilst NI voted to stay in will not help the peace process.

Basically, it was a weird and selfish decision to hold a non-binding advisory referendum on a first past the post system just to shut up the opposition in your own party.

It should have been binding or not at all and preferably with some sort of percentage ruling to avoid a small percentage on the day deciding it.

Last edited:

Captain Dart

Anyone see the lords defeat annother bill again today. That's two now. Oh dear signing their own death warrant you ask me.
They have many ways...

mrtrench

All decisions should be backed with 100% turnout and 100% agreement. This is why we can never decide on what to have for dinner in our house. Just two of us left now, the others having starved to death over time. Once the last one goes the survivor gets to eat.

Kingokings204

I don't see anyone who hasn't accepted the result? In a democracy people are always going to challenge and try to change, much like the Brexiteers in the Tory party did...learn to accept it.

I see a few who havent accepted even on here the result. You don't see that? That's called denial. I also didn't see mass marches/ protests in London before the refendum just because we weren't given a referendum for many years. No Tory led protests through London with 250k people about having a referendum. Hey ho I guess some deal with it better than others.

Kingokings204

I have accepted the result. I think it is the wrong result and will continue to criticize it.

It was a narrow result and there are many people like myself who think it was the wrong outcome.

Time will tell who is right.

The Lords has not overturned Brexit. The Lords reviews all acts- that's why it's there. It makes amendments and passes it back to the commons.

Normal procedure. I understand you don't like it, but that is democracy.

If you want to mention gravy train..... how many times did Farage turn up for the Fisheries Commission? How much did he get paid for being on the commission? How much EU money did UKIP funnel off for their own campaign via Farage's mistress ( sorry, the tasty French waitress that he is helping out with accommodation)?

Normal procedure for a Bunch of old men not elected to frustrate and criticize the biggest election result in history. They are not fit for purpose but carry on defending them.

We had a referendum where 34 million people took part in the biggest democratic exercise ever taken and leave won. Normal procedure, I know you don't like it but that's democracy.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

I see a few who havent accepted even on here the result. I also didn't see mass marches/ protests in London before the refendum just because we weren't given a referendum for many years. No Tory led protests through London about having a referendum. Hey ho I guess some deal with it better than others.

You still don't appear to understand how democracy works. It's highly possible then when it all goes horribly wrong the UK will attempt to rejoin one and quite possibly adopt the Euro. What a fine day that would be, we could hopefully look to start speaking French again.

SkyblueBazza

Why bother with a referendum then? Just count how many are young and how many are old and apportion the votes accordingly.
So are you saying that many of those bleating about the result are those that couldn't be arsed to register despite all the media attention, campaigns in colleges & universities etc?
I don't think they were too bothered really, or the attitude of everyone else is responsible/owes me has caught up with them pretty quick in life - but caught up they were.
Like would all those people that voted Labour in have any chance of changing the decision to go to war in Iraq? Not until the next regular election...but referendums are not regular.

So we simply have to either have a major constitutional overhaul - or suck it up!

...onwards & upwards PUSB

SkyblueBazza

But how many didn't vote because they listened to the media & thought it was unthinkable the vote would be to leave?

Could be a massive majority of Brexit supporters were none voters because of that just as easily as the assumed other way around.

We voted as a nation to leave⏺

(That's a big full-stop btw)

SkyblueBazza

I don't see anyone who hasn't accepted the result? In a democracy people are always going to challenge and try to change, much like the Brexiteers in the Tory party did...learn to accept it.
They won't change it by posting on this forum

Sick Boy

But how many didn't vote because they listened to the media & thought it was unthinkable the vote would be to leave?

Could be a massive majority of Brexit supporters were none voters because of that just as easily as the assumed other way around.

We voted as a nation to leave⏺

(That's a big full-stop btw)

At least you didn't say 'period'. :)

Sick Boy

They won't change it by posting on this forum

As far as I am aware, the Open Britain group are campaigning for the rights of EU citizens here and parliament to have a vote at the end of the negotiations. Doesn't sound like trying to overturn the result to me.

We were told that leaving the EU would lead to cheaper good due to trade deals with other countries and more money in people's pockets. Not sure why some are getting anxious about it being overturned? ;)

Liquid Gold

On the other side of that there have been people in this thread that have been horribly racist. You don't help your argument that leave voters are all criticised for being racist when you don't shut down the racists just because they have the same point of view in this matter.

Kingokings204

You still don't appear to understand how democracy works. It's highly possible then when it all goes horribly wrong the UK will attempt to rejoin one and quite possibly adopt the Euro. What a fine day that would be, we could hopefully look to start speaking French again.

Yeah sure. Fingers crossed for you.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

On the other side of that there have been people in this thread that have been horribly racist. You don't help your argument that leave voters are all criticised for being racist when you don't shut down the racists just because they have the same point of view in this matter.

If you go back about 69 pages you'll see comments from me saying that kind of behaviour is not acceptable.

Nice try trying to deflect my points though. You kind of just proved one of them by using the racist card.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

So are you saying that many of those bleating about the result are those that couldn't be arsed to register despite all the media attention, campaigns in colleges & universities etc?
I don't think they were too bothered really, or the attitude of everyone else is responsible/owes me has caught up with them pretty quick in life - but caught up they were.
Like would all those people that voted Labour in have any chance of changing the decision to go to war in Iraq? Not until the next regular election...but referendums are not regular.

So we simply have to either have a major constitutional overhaul - or suck it up!

The initial outrcry certainly from my generation (18-35) as I saw it, was that older people ruined the referendum (some even said they shouldn't be allowed to vote in future), and they felt that their fellow age-group-people let them down too, by not turning up to vote.

Smacks of arrogance to assume that would have won them the referendum.

Not saying this covers the entire country as an top notch example, but it was certainly an echo chamber rhetoric I came across many a time.

Users who are viewing this thread