The Great Outdoors (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Agreed. You ought to take her to Hoar farm too. good for the kids, and reasonably priced too.

Go there a lot to buy stuff from the pet shop anyway so she enjoys it.

I just prefered watching the pig called Marlon as he lies in his own shit, farts, gets up and strolls over to take food then goes back to sleep. Life envy! He's died now though :(

Marty

I love being outdoors. I don't understand people who go to a gym to run on a treadmill for an hour. Get out in the sun and experience life, it's about time people just started living in the moment instead of trying to capture everything on film.

Seen a bird a few days ago which i think was a red kite. The thing was huge.

Also saw a fox and her cub crossing the road. The cub was hit and the adult darted into the bushes. I approached and the fox came back out picked up her cub in her mouth, she looked at me and then ran off with it. I felt so sorry for it.

bringbackrattles

I love being outdoors. I don't understand people who go to a gym to run on a treadmill for an hour. Get out in the sun and experience life, it's about time people just started living in the moment instead of trying to capture everything on film.

Seen a bird a few days ago which i think was a red kite. The thing was huge.

Also saw a fox and her cub crossing the road. The cub was hit and the adult darted into the bushes. I approached and the fox came back out picked up her cub in her mouth, she looked at me and then ran off with it. I felt so sorry for it.
Echo all of what you say. Since I stopped playing football/rugby in the 80's I started walking to replace it. I have been to gyms but prefer outdoors, it is natural and you can go where you like and it's cheap.I got my son into walking when he was a kid and he loved it,but my then missus said he was too young. She was lazy so I ignored her and he thanked me when he was older !

duffer

Buzzards are pretty common around Eastern Green and Allesley Park from what I've seen. You'll often see them getting mobbed in flight and chased away by the crows, whom I reckon are from Tile Hill. :)

The reason I've been told is that Buzzards, despite their size, mostly feed on carrion which puts them into direct competition with the crows. Either way they're great to see.

I love the outdoors too, and there's no shortage of wildlife in the suburbs round our way if you keep your eyes open. The only things I really dislike are pigeons, at least the ones that crap all over my car. I'm thinking catapult!

clint van damme

Buzzards are pretty common around Eastern Green and Allesley Park from what I've seen. You'll often see them getting mobbed in flight and chased away by the crows, whom I reckon are from Tile Hill. :)

The reason I've been told is that Buzzards, despite their size, mostly feed on carrion which puts them into direct competition with the crows. Either way they're great to see.

I love the outdoors too, and there's no shortage of wildlife in the suburbs round our way if you keep your eyes open. The only things I really dislike are pigeons, at least the ones that crap all over my car. I'm thinking catapult!

didn't realise until quite late in life what vicious bastards birds are.
Once got mugged by a couple of seagulls in Cornwall. One pecked the hand I was holding a burger in and the other snaffled up the burger when I dropped it.
I tried to kick it up the arse but it got away.
Id like to say the missus and kids felt sorry for me but in truth they were a hairs breadth away from needing oxygen they were laughing that much.

bringbackrattles

Once got mugged by a couple of seagulls in Cornwall. One pecked the hand I was holding a burger in and the other snaffled up the burger when I dropped it.
Id like to say the missus and kids felt sorry for me but in truth they were a hairs breadth away from needing oxygen they were laughing that much.
I took my lad to Scotland about 20 years ago on a week long walking holiday.It was my first time there and it was a tough hike and we got hit by all types of weather and it wasn't for the faint hearted. But a guide asked me if I'd heard of their famous midges ? I hadn't but he said I will know all about them shortly. They are the nastiest little bastards you'll ever face without doubt !
I got bit all over by these insects and so did my son which made me feel guilty bringing him along. We had 2 days of the bastards attacking us and looking back amazed we got through it. But on a lighter note the Jock guide said the midges only bite English people. My 12 year old lad believed him and said that's out of order !

clint van damme

I took my lad to Scotland about 20 years ago on a week long walking holiday.It was my first time there and it was a tough hike and we got hit by all types of weather and it wasn't for the faint hearted. But a guide asked me if I'd heard of their famous midges ? I hadn't but he said I will know all about them shortly. They are the nastiest little bastards you'll ever face without doubt !
I got bit all over by these insects and so did my son which made me feel guilty bringing him along. We had 2 days of the bastards attacking us and looking back amazed we got through it. But on a lighter note the Jock guide said the midges only bite English people. My 12 year old lad believed him and said that's out of order !

where would you stay on a walking holiday BBR? Do they have hostels or do you camp?

Ranjit Bhurpa

LOL. Same thing happened to us on Llandudno Pier eating ice cream 99's. I'd finished mine and the missus had left the chocolate flake to the end. Next thing the flake had gone, snaffled by an effing great seagull that had flown up behind us. The missus thought it was me then saw the blood on her hand. My laughing probably didn't help much.

clint van damme

LOL. Same thing happened to us on Llandudno Pier eating ice cream 99's. I'd finished mine and the missus had left the chocolate flake to the end. Next thing the flake had gone, snaffled by an effing great seagull that had flown up behind us. The missus thought it was me then saw the blood on her hand. My laughing probably didn't help much.

they're horrible creatures mate!

ccfc92

Yep evil bastards things, same as pigeons Clint. I will cross the road to get out of their way. Managed to take one out the other week that flew into the car windscreen. Was smiling for a few days about that one.

I've cut a few up before (at a Butchers!), stinky little bastards.

ccfc92

I love the great outdoors, but unfortunately I suffer quite bad with hayfever so that ruins the summer for me :(

Went to a BBQ once, and the host had loads of different plants in the garden, sneezed all night, then when I got home, I had a fever :(

Nick

Administrator
By the cathedral walking through to cathedral lanes, there are squirrels there that aren't scared of humans.

Daughter had a bag of crisps, they were crowding her and jumping up her to try and get them.

giphy.gif

bringbackrattles

I'd stick a large bet on anybody surviving a week being attacked by midges in Scotland. Scientists from around the world have tried to find ways to eliminate them but to no avail. They are viscious bastards.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I'd love to do something like that, just be random and go out into the countryside. Thankfully my daughter loves the countryside and nature and will happily spend a day looking for ladybirds and making birds nest so she would love it and i think it does them good!

Keep looking at Glamping but it is just finding somewhere dog friendly and not silly prices.

ccfc92

I'd love to do something like that, just be random and go out into the countryside. Thankfully my daughter loves the countryside and nature and will happily spend a day looking for ladybirds and making birds nest so she would love it and i think it does them good!

Keep looking at Glamping but it is just finding somewhere dog friendly and not silly prices.

What exactly is Glamping?

What's the difference with regular camping?

clint van damme

just take her camping mate. There's plenty of places just outside Cov, (couple of sites at Wolvey), and that way, if the weather turns or she doesn't like it you can easily pack up and come home.

Monners

Get some basic ID guides for butterflies, the more common wildflowers and dragonflies/damselflies. Really good way to gain an interest. Look at local Wildlife Trusts for volunteer work and training courses. Highly recommended. Once you learn a bit, you soon see how invaluable the natural (or semi natural) environment is, and begin to see it in a different light.

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

Start em young. First outdoor trip I got my lad on he was only about 7 years old. He ran up the Malvern Hills and back down again ! My then missus was dead soft with him but that's not good for young lads. He thanks me now for toughening him up as he's a roofer but mothers often wrap them up in cotton wool.

Nick

Administrator
just take her camping mate. There's plenty of places just outside Cov, (couple of sites at Wolvey), and that way, if the weather turns or she doesn't like it you can easily pack up and come home.

Just about at the stage of a play tent in the living room last summer! Would need a trial in the garden first.

duffer

Get some basic ID guides for butterflies, the more common wildflowers and dragonflies/damselflies. Really good way to gain an EA. Look at local Wildlife Trusts for volunteer work and training courses. Highly recommended. Once you learn a bit, you soon see how invaluable the natural (or semi natural) environment is, and begin to see it in a different light.

Sound advice Monners, but showing my ignorance here what's an EA?

clint van damme

Just about at the stage of a play tent in the living room last summer! Would need a trial in the garden first.

been taking my kids camping since they were nippers, they always loved it and they still enjoy going now they're older.
Nothing too bear grylls mainly local with a bit in the south west.
There's one site I love near Cullompton in Devon, it's a clearing in a forest and you can't get out of first gear on the way up the approach is so steep.
But the air is so pure it's like breathing in nectar and a night you can see every star in the sky.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Start em young. First outdoor trip I got my lad on he was only about 7 years old. He ran up the Malvern Hills and back down again ! My then missus was dead soft with him but that's not good for young lads. He thanks me now for toughening him up as he's a roofer but mothers often wrap them up in cotton wool.
Fantastic scenery around Great Malvern and Little Malvern BBR. Also went on the steam railway at Bridgnorth. Don't know if it's still there but a great family weekend.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Me and a mate once played golf up at Hexham and got attacked by hundreds of midges. I found out they didn't like cigarette smoke so smoked the bastards out. My mate who was an ex smoker started on my fags by the 3rd hole and I reckon we got through a packet of 20 by the end of the round.
Maybe they were your Scottish midges who had flown South a bit?

Grappa

I live in Norway and the midges here are horrible little buggers too. Even worse though are the horseflies. They basically locate any bit of exposed skin and rip a hole in it. I think they've got some sort of anticoagulant thing going on because the bleeding doesn't stop for ages. Then it starts to itch, really itch.

Saying that though, if you've got some decent repellent, Norway is great for outdoor stuff. There's a country-wide right to roam law so you can camp anywhere you want so long as you're more than 150 meters from an occupied property. I took my 8 year old daughter on her first camping trip last summer in the Nordmarka - it's a massive forest just outside Oslo - and she loved it. She's been pestering me all winter about going again so we've planned a week in July up north on the island of Senja where my wife's family is from. Bit of trekking, set up the tent, catch a cod for dinner, watch the whales. Really looking forward to it.

clint van damme

I live in Norway and the midges here are horrible little buggers too. Even worse though are the horseflies. They basically locate any bit of exposed skin and rip a hole in it. I think they've got some sort of anticoagulant thing going on because the bleeding doesn't stop for ages. Then it starts to itch, really itch.

Saying that though, if you've got some decent repellent, Norway is great for outdoor stuff. There's a country-wide right to roam law so you can camp anywhere you want so long as you're more than 150 meters from an occupied property. I took my 8 year old daughter on her first camping trip last summer in the Nordmarka - it's a massive forest just outside Oslo - and she loved it. She's been pestering me all winter about going again so we've planned a week in July up north on the island of Senja where my wife's family is from. Bit of trekking, set up the tent, catch a cod for dinner, watch the whales. Really looking forward to it.

that sounds incredible.

Otis

A house down Henley Road last week had a rifle sticking out from a bedroom window.I asked the owner what's all that about ? He said his garden is plagued with squirells nicking bird feed and messing up his flower beds etc. So he shoots them !! I said can you do that without getting nicked ? He laughed and said grey squirells are vermin,if they were red it would be different.
That strikes me as rodent racism. You shouldn't judge someone by the colour of their skin or in this case, their fur.

I love being outdoors. Going to Kingsbury Water Park on Sunday and the Earlsdon Festival on Monday. Might visit the vegan festival at Fargo too if time permits.

Users who are viewing this thread