The Handmaid's Tale (1 Viewer)

Otis

Anyone else watching it?

I think it is fantastic. Really very impressive. Saw the film from a few years back, so was apprehensive, but I needn't have been.

Great premise, beautifully played out.

lifeskyblue

I'm recording the series but not watched any yet. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lifeskyblue

Thanks Otis. Yes wife and I wanting to watch and have heard great reviews. Trouble for us is these days we like binge watching. Perhaps at our age we can't remember the previous episode if we leave it a week.

Otis

Thanks Otis. Yes wife and I wanting to watch and have heard great reviews. Trouble for us is these days we like binge watching. Perhaps at our age we can't remember the previous episode if we leave it a week.

The whole thing, though that of a dystopian future, just seems so real and relevant to the world we now live in.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Philosorapter

Slowly getting through this. Absolutely intriguing portrayal of a theocracy.

Otis

New series started last night and it was a really excellent first episode I thought.

Really loving this show. So relevant to what's going on in the world today, despite it being set in some mythical future.

My two favourite shows now on, in this and Westworld.

LastGarrison

Got to admit the first couple of episodes of the first series it was just on in the background whilst my missus was watching it and I was messing about on the net but then slowly I realised I was just watching it and really got into it.

Last nights was a very intriguing episode and you just know it’s not going to end well.....

Otis

Got to admit the first couple of episodes of the first series it was just on in the background whilst my missus was watching it and I was messing about on the net but then slowly I realised I was just watching it and really got into it.

Last nights was a very intriguing episode and you just know it’s not going to end well.....
Yup.

Freedom my arse.

Otis

My thought is that Nick
is just going to sell June on to another baby hungry rich couple for the highest price.

oakey

Very dark first episode to new series but just as good as before.
Excellent novel too, although, of course, a feminist set text!
:woot:

A very dystopian theocracy. Offred has realised the quotes they use from the Bible are inaccurate, but, of course, she cannot access a Bible herself to check. God has no place in Gilead, except a hateful man-made version.

tommydazzle

There are plenty of terrible obscenely violent quotes in the bible. It's a rich vein of immorality. Blessed be the fruit...

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Tried watching this. Just didn't like it. I found it boring. But then, that's just me. I prefer a good crime thriller like the Blacklist, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos etc....

Otis

Should have stuck with it, Houch.

Would say it is anything but boring. Really taut and gripping in places

Houchens Head

I'm just not into all this "fantasy" stuff, Otis. I only watch TWD coz the missus watches it and raves about it, but I could easily give that a miss.
My ultimate viewing for a film/series is (not necessarily in order):
history (mainly Tudor / Cromwellian)
a really good Western (not old Audie Murphy types of thing, but one with a clever plot and action)
a good war film (e.g. Hacksaw Ridge, Allied, The Exception etc)
a great thriller such as the John Wick films.
I've never watched Game of Thrones, Tolkien films, Star Trek films or any Star Wars film.

Otis

I'm just not into all this "fantasy" stuff, Otis. I only watch TWD coz the missus watches it and raves about it, but I could easily give that a miss.
My ultimate viewing for a film/series is (not necessarily in order):
history (mainly Tudor / Cromwellian)
a really good Western (not old Audie Murphy types of thing, but one with a clever plot and action)
a good war film (e.g. Hacksaw Ridge, Allied, The Exception etc)
a great thriller such as the John Wick films.
I've never watched Game of Thrones, Tolkien films, Star Trek films or any Star Wars film.
Wouldn't say this is fantasy though. It sort of is, but is so real and just about everything taking place in the show IS actually happening in the real world somewhere.

That's what makes it so clever and so relevant and so believeable.

Houchens Head

I'll give it another go then Otis, on your recommendation. I believe I can still watch Season 1 on Kodi.

Mr Panda

I really do like this TV show, so much so that if I get a new pet in the future I'm going to call it 'Ofjohn'.

oakey

There are plenty of terrible obscenely violent quotes in the bible. It's a rich vein of immorality. Blessed be the fruit...
My point was not that the Bible does not contain some vile stuff, it does. We should be well aware that the God as portrayed in the New Testament, the God embodied by Jesus, is the version of God Christians are supposed to follow. My point was that the Quotes from the Bible cited by Aunt Lydia, and others, are not in the Bible. Indeed God may well be man-made but the New Testament's version of God is not the one Gilead is following.
Blessed be the fruit, is a prime example of a quotation being twisted, since in the Bible it refers to Jesus, in a joyful greeting to the pregnant Mary from her cousin, Elizabeth.

Last edited:

Otis

Yeah, but surely that is the author forming and creating her own group of religious zealots for the story, just as you create any group of characters when you write. It's not non fiction, it's fiction.

I don't think it ever suggests that these sayings are in the Bible. It's artistic licence and her wanting to create her own language for the characters.

The essence of the programme (and book) is to show what is really happening in the world out there and the way the world could go in the future.

The subjugation of women, female genital mutilation, women as objects, rapes, arranged 'marriages' etc. is already happening out there.

Houchens Head

The "Immaculate Conception" never fails to make me laugh! So, there's this woman and her husband Joe. They've been married for some time, I guess, when one day, Mary, his missus, discovers she's pregnant.
"Who's is it!!?" demands an angry and very hurt Joe. (Who has fired blanks since birth!)
"Er.... It's God's!" comes back our heroine, Mary.
"Phew!" says Joe, mopping his sweaty brow, "for a moment there, I thought you'd been shaggin' around!"
Mary looks aghast! "Who me?" she gasps as she feigns innocence.
Meanwhile, out of the bedroom window, sneaks Hymie, the local tailor.

Users who are viewing this thread