The Lease situation - what is the law ? (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I posted this on another thread but thought it might be useful to include separately

"interesting articles on leases while in administration

http://www.wrighthassall.co.uk/artic...dministration/

http://www.microscope.co.uk/feature/...property-lease

seems to me that a landlord can be in the hands of the administrator as long as it takes ....... (perhaps we have seen the issue of time things take and the financial cost/implications of that before?)

but certainly seems because the purpose of an administration is to save the business that the lease remains "live" unless agreed by the landlord or the court decides otherwise"

from those articles...........
- Under the Insolvency Act 1986, landlords are prevented from recovering rent arrears by forfeiture or other legal action if a company goes into administration unless either the administrator consents or the court gives permission.
- Permission for forfeiture can only be given if it will not prejudice the administration by preventing it from achieving its purpose (namely the rescue of the company or to get a better realisation for its creditors that would be achieved in a liquidation)
- Administration allows for an attempt to be made at putting the tenant company back on its feet. At commencement of administration a statutory moratorium is placed on all proceedings against the tenant company during the period of administration. Also, the landlord is prevented from exercising any right of distraint or forfeiture. This means that the landlord will be prevented from bringing any action to recover rent or the property without first obtaining the consent of the administrator or the court. The administrator cannot disclaim the lease like a liquidator; however, if the premises are surplus to the requirements of a business which is looking to continue trading, the administrator can assign the lease in the usual way.

It would seem to me from this and other articles

That unless both sides agree or the court instructs the lease is still in existence.
The lease can be assigned by the administrator but not disclaimed (ie written off)
That if still in existence a landlord has to deal through the administrator
That if still in existence a new lease can not just be put in its stead
That any party interested in leasing the premises has to deal directly with the administrator.
That a third party has no rights to use the premises in stead of the lessee unless agreed by administrator & landlord (and perhaps Court)
That a landlord cannot simply take back the lease or stop the administrator using the premises for the period of administration
That the administrator can hold the lease via the company but not use the premises, so avoiding a personal cost because of the lease moratorium in place.

Will leave you apply that little lot to what is going on and the front page headlines in the CT today

Guess it just proves how much spin is around and how the facts are hidden

Last edited:

wingy

However if the premises are surplus to the requirements of a business looking to continue trading the Administrator can ASSIGN the lease in the usual way.

What difference is the between disclaim and Assign ,this seems to be what is happening .:thinking about:

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
If you assign the lease you transfer or sell the existing lease to a third party eg CCFC H or PH4
(landlord has to approve the assignment but can not unreasonably withold that approval)

If you disclaim the lease that's the same as saying it doesn't exist any more

Mr Appleton doesn't have the power as administrator to disclaim the lease, he does have the power to assign the lease (with the landlords consent).

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
So to apply the above to what is being said

The administrator acts for CCFC Ltd which has the lease

TF says the club CCFC is in CCFCH and being operated from there - whether or not it is there the administrator says that CCFCH are operating the club (whether it should or not is a different question)

CCFC H has no lease to use the facilities (so its is not accurate at all to say you are being locked out when there is no right to be there in first place) The lease is in the name of CCFC Ltd not CCFC or CCFCH

The landlord (ACL) has to deal with the administrator regarding the lease. It is a matter of law but also a reality as only the administrator has power to make decisions for CCFC Ltd which is the tenant and therefore holds the lease

CCFC H (or any third party) if they want the lease have to deal with the administrator. CCFC Ltd own the rights to the lease and all that involves so anyone interested has to deal with it via administrator. The current lease is the only one available and effectively blocks there being a new one until it is assigned by the administrator, disclaimed by a liquidator or cancelled by the landlord.

ACL are not getting paid and are not able to take action to recover during administration without permission from administrator or the court

The original lease still remains

Lot of clever use of words on both sides ........ but the club statement from Mr Fisher contains "inaccuracies"

Last edited:

rupert_bear

If you assign the lease you transfer or sell the existing lease to a third party eg CCFC H or PH4
(landlord has to approve the assignment but can not unreasonably withold that approval)

If you disclaim the lease that's the same as saying it doesn't exist any more

Mr Appleton doesn't have the power as administrator to disclaim the lease, he does have the power to assign the lease (with the landlords consent).
But if the administrator assigns the lease to ccfc H, PHIV or someone else i believe they have to pass the "fit and proper" test. Now would the administrator need to know the answer to that before assigning ?

James Smith

Lot of clever use of words on both sides ........ but the club statement from Mr Fisher contains "inaccuracies"

Not from our Tim, I can't believe it.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
But if the administrator assigns the lease to ccfc H, PHIV or someone else i believe they have to pass the "fit and proper" test. Now would the administrator need to know the answer to that before assigning ?

no fit and proper tests for leases ............ the administrator could for instance sell the lease to an investor who then looks for their own tenant. Not up to administrator to assess fit and proper. To be owners of the football club that's a different matter outside of the administrators remit.

i do accept that for the club to have the lease then the owners have to pass the FL fit and proper rules for ownership of the club which would leave a viable business (and plan) for the administrator to assign it to...... which i think is what you mean

Last edited:

wingy

ITs easy to see why they think that it will float right over our heads ,incredibly twisted reasoning in whats allowed .:thinking about:

Last edited:

Paxman II

Yep perfect summary OSB. I have many lease dealings under my belt and that's just about the size of it.
It all rest with the definitive answer to which party will eventually be determined to hold the Golden Share and then the fight for who really wants the football club will begin. SISU will continue to be an obstacle regardless.

chiefdave

what does the current lease actually cover? if it's only for use of the ground for x number of days a year could holdings not have a separate lease? I appreciate there's the FL rule about having first pick of dates but we all know there isn't going to be 2 Coventry City sides in L1 next year.

Of course that would require SISU and ACL to talk to each other and would be a pointless exercise if the golden share is in Ltd but then that isn't down to the landlord. If somewhere wants to hire a venue off me frankly I don't care if they're going to be able to use it or not.

pugwash

Interesting information (as usual, thanks OSB), but I can't see that any of it really matters. I would think that a) ACL could cancel the lease for breach of contract, and b) Sisu already feel the lease terms are too onerous so wouldn't want CCFCH to take it over.

Users who are viewing this thread