The Next England Manager (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

Not sure we will qualify to be honest, not if it is Southgate. Can see Scotland beating us and Slovakia away will provide tricky I think. First game after all change, so tactics and formations all over the place.

Oh...... hang on ........

In comparison to the last qualifying group (on paper):
1. Despite the shower that's been displayed over the past couple of weeks our team is better now than it was 2 years ago. It just needs to be ran and prepared more efficiently.
2. Slovakia aren't as good as the Swiss.
3. Slovenia are ok and gave us a good fight for he points before.
4. Scotland are on par with Estonia.
5. Lithuania aren't going to be improved enough to get close to beating us or Slovakia and Slovenia for that matter.
6. Malta are much better than San Marino by some way but shouldn't really take any points off the other 5 teams.

However, Scotland will be desperate to beat us and I'd say they were the problem. Can see us getting a win at Wembley and a draw at Murryfield.

When it comes to Slovakia they could surprise us in Trvana. If that was the case I wouldn't be too worried as we should hammer them at home.

As a side note I was so happy when Slovenia got drawn in our group again. Best away trip I've been on. The place is stunning. If you ever want a cheap and easy weekend away, Ljubljana is the place to go.

Otis

In comparison to the last qualifying group (on paper):
1. Despite the shower that's been displayed over the past couple of weeks our team is better now than it was 2 years ago. It just needs to be ran and prepared more efficiently.
2. Slovakia aren't as good as the Swiss.
3. Slovenia are ok and gave us a good fight for he points before.
4. Scotland are on par with Estonia.
5. Lithuania aren't going to be improved enough to get close to beating us or Slovakia and Slovenia for that matter.
6. Malta are much better than San Marino by some way but shouldn't really take any points off the other 5 teams.

However, Scotland will be desperate to beat us and I'd say they were the problem. Can see us getting a win at Wembley and a draw at Murryfield.

When it comes to Slovakia they could surprise us in Trvana. If that was the case I wouldn't be too worried as we should hammer them at home.

As a side note I was so happy when Slovenia got drawn in our group again. Best away trip I've been on. The place is stunning. If you ever want a cheap and easy weekend away, Ljubljana is the place to go.
Cheers for that, CJ. :)

Sky_Blue_Daz

I would honestly break the bank to get Wegner although I think he honours his contract so give Shearer and Redknapp the job in conjunction with Wegner for a year

CCFC88

Wenger? He'll be looking for a "way out" of Arsenal without just moving upstairs after not winning anything again.

Build a coaching team full of English inspiration, the likes of Adams, Keown etc

Nick

Administrator
p01lstsr.jpg

Sadly, probably more of a clue and more inspirational to the players than Hodgson. And he is a piss take :)

Captain Dart

I would honestly break the bank to get Wegner although I think he honours his contract so give Shearer and Redknapp the job in conjunction with Wegner for a year
Will not happen, he wants 1 more shot at Premiership, maybe 2, then might get him after WC, though he would be 68 then, same age as Woy is now.

Covstu

See - to me there's too much of this media thing going on. They will say anything to sell their story (or in modern parlance get the site hits)
This Iceland poulation blah blah blah is all irrelevant. NZ have been at the very top of world rugby for how long? They are a small nation too. So it must be more about the quality of what is produced from the very early ages...& that is largely influenced by attitude. And then much later the quality of coaching.
Many of these international players in successful teams can play out of their preferred position purely because of superior technical ability. The actual basic job of scoring or stopping someone else from scoring is not complex. It doesn't need coaching. Micro tactics probably are a step too far - & likely to be what we do too much of. Show the players the oppositions last 2-3 best results & let instinct do the rest! They should already be able to control a ball, pass it or head it & to make a fair but strong challenge without giving get a foul away.
As kids...dont discard them because they are a foot shorter than others on the same position - if their attitude & determination is such...that will make them winners. That's why the lies of Joey Barton & Robbie Savage & David Speedier & Lionel Messi have excelled.
Mental attitude at the early age means more than technical ability or size...unless you're unfortunate enough to be English where the approach is more a case of 'if you're big enough you're hard enough and therefore good enough'...& 'a good big'n will always beat a good little'n'. Let's focus on fidi get the good ones first then sift the best!

...onwards & upwards PUSB
Did you really just put Robbie Savage and Lionel Messi in the same comparison here???

Covstu

Southgate rejected interim job, FA shitting themselves they might actually have to do their job now.
I have a lot more respect for GS for this, he knew he wasn't ready for this job but didn't BS himself or the country but taking it. This needs careful planning rather than knee jerk reactions and lets face it we have a lot of time to make the right decision. I wouldn't want Howe to wreck his career but I would take Hoddle with someone like Pearce behind him.

Otis

I have a lot more respect for GS for this, he knew he wasn't ready for this job but didn't BS himself or the country but taking it. This needs careful planning rather than knee jerk reactions and lets face it we have a lot of time to make the right decision. I wouldn't want Howe to wreck his career but I would take Hoddle with someone like Pearce behind him.
Hoddle and McGrath would be perfect.

Pipehitterz

I would go with hoddle .
I can't see us going abroad for a manager ever again, and nobody interests me in england currently.
Glenn had a great england record , just questionable beliefs. I think the do good folk made them over react in getting him to quit before , I felt like it was the start of something good

Grendel

Hoddle and McGrath would be perfect.

Hoddle hasn't managed for years and sounds brain dead as a commentator.

What other country would dig some relic out if retirement?

Grendel

As for not going abroad at least until his last campaign Sven always delivered a quarter final.

Huddle isn't scraping the barrel it's looking underneath it.

Grendel

Terry Gibson's perm

They should go for Marcelo Bielsa, has managed Argentina and Chile, the has no chance though as he is Argentinian and doesn't seem to suffer fools gladly so no good for the Blazers at the fa and empire builders like Ashworth.

Hadji10

Honestly I hate the bloke but give it Big Sam.

We need to get rid of this notion that we are a powerhouse in international football when we are not, infact were about as much as a powerhouse as the rest of the U.K. Teams. Allardyce gets the best out of poor teams (which is what we are) and plays to the strengths of a team and won't bow to media pressure like Hodgson did.

God we are so fucking bad it's unreal really.

philster11

Is there any point chasing a top manager when our game is broken from top to bottom.

Should we nt being investing this money in top class coaching badges teaching from the grass roots up. Making sure our players can do the basics right from top to bottom, ensuring the can understand different tactics and making sure they have the right mentality to cope.

Otis

Honestly I hate the bloke but give it Big Sam.

We need to get rid of this notion that we are a powerhouse in international football when we are not, infact were about as much as a powerhouse as the rest of the U.K. Teams. Allardyce gets the best out of poor teams (which is what we are) and plays to the strengths of a team and won't bow to media pressure like Hodgson did.

God we are so fucking bad it's unreal really.

I don't think we are that bad though are we. Just not good enough to compete with the best.

Belgium have had good players for years. Look at their record:

World Cup

2006 - Didn't qualify
2010 - Didn't qualify
2014 - Quarter finals

European Championship

2004 - Didn't qualify
2008 - Didn't qualify
2012 - Didn't qualify

Holland

European Championship

2008- Quarter finals
2012 - Group stage
2016 - Didn't qualify

We are not a bad side. We're just not that good a one.

We qualified easily and dominated the three group games. We are mentally weak though and crumble too easily.

Hadji10

We qualify easily because we are number 1 seeds, why are we always number one seeds? We've won 6 knockout games since we won the World Cup in 66, in that time Germany have won 6 tournaments.

We're in the same bracket as the Switzerland's, Turkey's, Poland's, Serbia's yet many think we're up there with Germany, Italy, Spain etc.

eastwoodsdustman

Big Sam is realistic with his teams and doesn't try to get them to do things that they can't do or be things that they can't be (like rooney as a midfielder FFS). Sure he'd have a big and little striker 2 wide men and play 'the English' way. I'd be happy enough with him but they'd be loads of moaners.

Otis

We qualify easily because we are number 1 seeds, why are we always number one seeds? We've won 6 knockout games since we won the World Cup in 66, in that time Germany have won 6 tournaments.

We're in the same bracket as the Switzerland's, Turkey's, Poland's, Serbia's yet many think we're up there with Germany, Italy, Spain etc.
But who does?

Did any of us have us getting past the quarter finals?

Quarter finals is where we should have been and got to, but we put in the worst performance in living memory against Iceland.

Very few of us think we should be winning stuff.

Hadji10

And no Otis, we didn't dominate the three group games at all. Don't listen to what Lee Dixon and Ian Wright tell you, first half against Russia we played well. That's where it ends. Dominating a team is what Germany done to Slovakia, beat them 3-0 and absolutely rampaged through them in pretty much every attack. We created one good chance that game, the rest were half chances.

Hadji10

But who does?

Did any of us have us getting past the quarter finals?

Quarter finals is where we should have been and got to, but we put in the worst performance in living memory against Iceland.

Very few of us think we should be winning stuff.

Come off it, loads of people had us as nailed on semi finalists. Look at the bookies, they had us joint third favourites to win the Damn thing, it's mental.

Otis

And no Otis, we didn't dominate the three group games at all. Don't listen to what Lee Dixon and Ian Wright tell you, first half against Russia we played well. That's where it ends. Dominating a team is what Germany done to Slovakia, beat them 3-0 and absolutely rampaged through them in pretty much every attack. We created one good chance that game, the rest were half chances.

I am not listening to what Lee Dixon and Ian Wright are telling me at all. Why would you say that? Just because we came to the same conclusion? I watched the games and that is the way I saw it. All three groups sides defended really deep against us. If we really were a poor side they would have gone on the attack.

I know we were terrible in front of goal. A lot of that down to players badly out of form (Kane in particular, but also Sterling and Alli and Wilshere too). Hand of heart, did any of us think Kane was going to be so dreadful?

Otis

Come off it, loads of people had us as nailed on semi finalists. Look at the bookies, they had us joint third favourites to win the Damn thing, it's mental.

Have a look on here and see what people thought. I spoke to a lot of people (friends and family) and no-one expected us to win the thing. Hope is a different thing altogether.

Every tournament many of us hope England are going to be victorious, just as I do every year with the City hoping we are going to be promoted. There's wishful thinking and reality and I really don't think there were many people at all thinking we could win it.

Hadji10

I am not listening to what Lee Dixon and Ian Wright are telling me at all. Why would you say that? Just because we came to the same conclusion? I watched the games and that is the way I saw it. All three groups sides defended really deep against us. If we really were a poor side they would have gone on the attack.

I know we were terrible in front of goal. A lot of that down to players badly out of form (Kane in particular, but also Sterling and Alli and Wilshere too). Hand of heart, did any of us think Kane was going to be so dreadful?

Slovakia defended deep against Germany too. But that's the difference between a very average side and a very good side. Good sides can cut through stubborn defences. We didn't once try and vary the attack, we tried the same thing over and over and over.

No one can tell me played well in a group stage that Wales won.

Otis

Slovakia defended deep against Germany too. But that's the difference between a very average side and a very good side. Good sides can cut through stubborn defences. We didn't once try and vary the attack, we tried the same thing over and over and over.

No one can tell me played well in a group stage that Wales won.

Ah, but you have now gone from calling us a f***ing bad side to an average one. ;) Big difference. Average side I would agree with.

Hadji10

I take back my average comment, we are well below average. Which keeps getting proven, tournament after tournament after tournament.

Grendel

Ah, but you have now gone from calling us a f***ing bad side to an average one. ;) Big difference. Average side I would agree with.

How many of our players would get in any of the following;

Germany
Belgium
Italy
Spain
Poland

Reality is we are not even in the top 8 in Europe that's below par in a big way. Other than the Russia game we've been terrible and Russia were the worst team in the competition

Users who are viewing this thread