The old crown (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

On Aldermans green , just been there for some dinner. Honest to god one of the nicest meals I’ve had in ages fully recommend it. Not a bad pint of Staropraman either

ccfctommy

Been there several times for food for quite some years now. Never once had a bad meal. Not that dear either.

Adge

Go there occasionally when in Cov-very good food and Carvery is the best one I’ve ever had 👍
Best to book well in advance regarding the carvery aswell.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Planning on going again next week , just out of interest how far is the greyhound at Sutton stop from the Crown?

Kneeza

Planning on going again next week , just out of interest how far is the greyhound at Sutton stop from the Crown?
Depends. We used to walk from the Crown, via the Elephant & Castle along the towpath (after visiting the Green Man, the Bird in Hand, and the Miners) so the time very much depended on whether one or more of us fell in...
You can drive round in less than five minutes though. (Via Jackers and Grange, not the towpath!).

Sky_Blue_Daz

Depends. We used to walk from the Crown, via the Elephant & Castle along the towpath (after visiting the Green Man, the Bird in Hand, and the Miners) so the time very much depended on whether one or more of us fell in...
You can drive round in less than five minutes though. (Via Jackers and Grange, not the towpath!).
To be fair I like the sound of your walk

Sbarcher

It was always fun. Back in the 70s...
Sadly the Green Man, the Miners, and the Elephant have all long gone.
Was thinking the other day how pubs were there for decades surviving on profits for drinks only before many started selling food.
Have we changed our spending habits, greedy breweries, etc. Granted energy and staff costs have increased the last couple of years but over the last decade pubs have been devastated.

fernandopartridge

Was thinking the other day how pubs were there for decades surviving on profits for drinks only before many started selling food.
Have we changed our spending habits, greedy breweries, etc. Granted energy and staff costs have increased the last couple of years but over the last decade pubs have been devastated.
The beer orders that broke up the big breweries and created the non brewer pub owning companies have a lot to answer for.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

I reckon people drink less today compared to 20-50 years ago.

Robinshio

I think it is the crackdown on underage drinking and smoking ban which are the biggest impact
Back in the day going to the pub was part of life by the time you were 18 - now kids go out for a pizza or something
Also the smoking ban, which has made pubs more pleasant, but they are also now quasi restaurants instead of somewhere to go for a drink

Sick Boy

I think it is the crackdown on underage drinking and smoking ban which are the biggest impact
Back in the day going to the pub was part of life by the time you were 18 - now kids go out for a pizza or something
Also the smoking ban, which has made pubs more pleasant, but they are also now quasi restaurants instead of somewhere to go for a drink
Yeah back in the early 00s I was getting served in 90% of pubs when I was 14, no chance that’d happen now.

Users who are viewing this thread