The unasked question (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

I've got my tin hat ready for this one :droid:

It's not been said yet so I'll ask.... with all these new signings, the traditional comment around multiple signings is "won't they take a while to get to know each other ?" I've been impressed with how Robins has done business since he came back onboard. But are we looking at a team that won't show their true colours until they get comfortable with each other ? Slow start then pick up in October ? Will the fans give the team time to gel ?

Cov kid 55

It's not been said yet so I'll ask.... with all these new signings, the traditional comment around multiple signings is "won't they take a while to get to know each other ?" I've been impressed with how Robins has done business since he came back onboard. But are we looking at a team that won't show their true colours until they get comfortable with each other ? Slow start then pick up in October ? Will the fans give the team time to gel ?
Yes, a very different scenario, although a fair point, until we start playing competitive matches, we won't know. They have a full pre season, although more to come in. Presumably MR is fully aware of this, and why he is moving quickly to get players in.

RFC

You can't have it both ways, last season for whatever reason recruitment was to say the least poor. Missing out on 'A' targets and not having a plan 'B'. Pleased to say this years been so different (with still more to come), not including possible loans but the proof of the pudding as they say, we'll just have to wait and see!
Hindsights a wonderful thing. Onwards & Upwards.

Reactions: vow

SkyBlue79

I must admit I thought that the players might need some time to gel... With our usual Jan/summer turn over of players though it isn't necessarily something new. What is refreshing is that we have bought players in early on in anticipation for replacing those that might leave. I've also got a fair bit of confidence in MR and what he is building, hopefully he has picked players that he thinks will compliment each other and be able to hit the ground running. I'm looking forward to the pre season now!

chiefdave

Having them in for pre-season and the friendlies is going to be a big advantage over last year when we we getting players in after the season had started.

Nick

Administrator
When we had that good start with Armstrong the players barely had time to get to know each other, they un-gelled.

Winny the Bish

My only worry is how long it might take MR to find his Best XI. Will we see too much rotation and trying different lineups if we draw or lose a couple games at the start of the season.

The Reverend Skyblue

It's the first week in July, they have five weeks to get to know each other.
Great business from Mr Robins, polar opposite from last season.
My God it's great to be prepared for the long haul that will be this season, come on you mighty skyblues

Last edited:

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

It's the first week in July, they have five weeks to get to know each other.
Great business from Mr Robins, polar opposite from last season.
My God it's great to be prepared from the long haul that will be this season, come on you mighty skyblues
Yes it's so different to last season !

Let's hope lessons have been learnt ! :happy:

Nick

Administrator
It was only the c bomb as a test ;)

giphy.gif

fatso

If I remember rightly, Sheffield united had a poor start to last season after recruiting a few new players (including 2 from us, the tossers) but that didn't stop them from pissing the league.
And I remember easily beating big spending Wigan athletic on the opening day of the previous season. So I wouldn't get too despondent if we don't set the football world alight from day one.

Nick

Administrator
If we don't win at Notts County I am going to pull out some scissors and chop up my ST. They will be blunt scissors too so they don't cut through it to the point I get annoyed and throw them both and storm out.

Then when I get home I am going to email the ticket office and say I lost them and have no idea where it is and could I have a replacement.

Skyblueweeman

Fair comments by the OP. I keep thinking that whilst it's great to get all these newbies through the door so early (very refreshing), they could all be duds.

I'm not being pessimistic, I just remember people like Lorentzon (spelling?) coming in thinking he'd be ace for us and alas, it didn't work out.

Slightly more confident than normal though with MR at the helm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

What I like the look of is that we appear to have a few scrappers on the pitch. I'm hoping that the team can gel in terms of togetherness and that we become a much harder team to beat (particularly away from home), Getting the mix between gritty and having enough flair is the tricky bit. Hopeful early signs though, in terms of recruitment/retention.

Nick

Administrator
I hope we get in referees faces, I hope if one of their players puts a bad tackle in they instantly get 4 or 5 of our players in their face, I hope that if one of our players puts a bad challenge in and the other team give it some then our players are straight over, I hope we know when to slow the game down and time waste and when not to.

Basically, I hope we do everything that offends me when other teams do it.

Last season there was no bite, no passion and no togetherness. In some instances it took DKE to get stuck in and have a bit of beef with a bloke 3 times as big and their teammate and our players would be stood there scratching their arses.

SkyblueBazza

I just hope we start off-loading a few. Otherwise we are going to have to get a new double-decker team bus!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

steve82

I think we will start slow anyway, I don't think it's gonna be as straight forward as a few think.
We've got a few league two experienced heads in but im predicting we will stutter the first 2 months

I think we hit some form around late September October time and from that momentum will pick up for a play off push.

Cavan O'Doherty

I think we will start slow anyway, I don't think it's gonna be as straight forward as a few think.
We've got a few league two experienced heads in but im predicting we will stutter the first 2 months

I think we hit some form around late September October time and from that momentum will pick up for a play off push.

I think it's crucial that we start off well. It won't take long for people to get on their backs if we don't perform for the first couple of months. We need some positivity as soon as possible after the shambles that was last year. If we're up there I'm looking forward to the Port vale away game on Boxing Day. Could be a sell out if we're at the right end of the table.

Gazolba

I think most teams in L2 will be in the same position with lots of incoming and outgoing players.
How hard can it be? You kick the ball to someone in sky blue, preferably forwards.
I doubt there will be lots of intricate passing moves requiring a deep understanding of each others habits.
I just hope we have someone who can take effective corners and someone who can score penalties.

steve82

I think it's crucial that we start off well. It won't take long for people to get on their backs if we don't perform for the first couple of months. We need some positivity as soon as possible after the shambles that was last year. If we're up there I'm looking forward to the Port vale away game on Boxing Day. Could be a sell out if we're at the right end of the table.

Yes easily our fan base could turn quickly if we're giving soft goals away and get on the backs of our players. Likewise if the strikers don't hit the ground running.

We've gotta stick with them, thick and thin. I believe we will come good. Exeter proved it can be done this year from the bottom 2 to play offs they charged.

It's a marathon not a sprint.

covcity4life

i think league 2 wont be as tough as you think it is

thats not saying cov will dominate it. i am just not expecting us to do badly

should never be out of top 10 i expect(barring first 3 games where obviously table is close)

just a prediction not a guarantee! my hope is we win 3 out of every 5 games.

edit- just seen exeter point, that is good. wont cut myself if we are 11th now.

Covstu

Its a good and valid point from the OP. The major difference is that these are our players this time and not loanees which should hopefully have more engagement and drive to make the team work rather than personal profit.

Liquid Gold

should never be out of top 10 i expect(barring first 3 games where obviously table is close)

Remember when Henderson fell over nothing against Peterborough, that's above average league 2 standard.

steve82

I'm not saying we will do badly. I'm sure we will be competitive after a month or two adapting but anyone can beat anyone on there day. A few clubs will shock us tho.
I just don't think it will be the walk some are expecting.
Obviously I hope we do tho....

SkyBlueCRJ

We are potentially looking at a scenario where CCFC won't hit the ground running until September time. A typical comparison is Wigan Athletic's 2015/16 season. They had a new manager in Gary Caldwell and a pretty much a brand new team - during the summer of 2015 they brought in a total of 14 players. On the first day of the season, you'll all remember that we beat them 2-0 curtesy of an Adam Armstrong brace. Until September 19th, Wigan recorded 3 wins, 3 losses and a draw. This is roughly mid-table form; something that wasn't acceptable in the eyes of their fans considering the amount they had spent in the previous window.

However, something we have in our advantage is that pretty much 75% of our signings have been brought in before pre-season has even kicked off properly. Whereas, 7 out of the 14 players Wigan brought in were acquired half way through pre-season or beyond. So, l personally think we have more than enough time to adequately gel. The importance of a full pre-season for a squad is something that isn't shouted about enough, in my eyes it's crucial. It's by no coincidence that Robins has brought in the amount of players as he already has - so there's no doubt he clearly thinks the same. Last season's pre-season was nothing short of a shambles, it was completely unorganised from the get-go. A combination of crap players and a crap pre-season was never going to end well. How we start this season however is likely to be 50/50, it's very difficult to predict. What is certain however is the fact that Robins is making sure we have the smoothest transition into league games as possible by getting business done early.

Users who are viewing this thread