The Walking Dead - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Otis

walking-dead.png

gareth-wd.jpg

1dhrr3.jpg

article-0-1EF577CE00000578-329_634x593.jpg
I notice you put the most evil one last.

skybluegod

Easily the most boring yet, small bit of plot development but only to really make it obvious what is going to happen long term. Almost at the mid-season break and the story hasn't progressed at all really.

Otis

Read that the viewing figures have dropped rapidly for this season
Viewers I think are now getting sick to death of the thrill ride first episodes followed by 12 or 13 snore fest padded ones, before returning to a thrill fest finale.

I recorded last night's and nearly put it on fast forward at one point.

ajsccfc

One of those slow episodes that really takes you out of the flow of things, an hour to either rope in some lesbians to fight the Saviours later on or to come steal their guns. I still have no idea who Heath actually is, but one thing I did like is how they let Tara have a bit of personality.

Otis

One of those slow episodes that really takes you out of the flow of things, an hour to either rope in some lesbians to fight the Saviours later on or to come steal their guns. I still have no idea who Heath actually is, but one thing I did like is how they let Tara have a bit of personality.
Well, yes, I found that odd.

Great for her and I quite like her as a character, but that is really the first time we have seen her character with any depth whatsoever.

It seemed to be played out last night as 'look audience, it's good old Tara,' like we knew her as a warm fuzzy friend, but we have hardly got to know her at all.

She was warm and humourous, but we hadn't really seen any of that at all . It was out of kilter.

It was almost as if the producers said 'Why don't we give some periphery characters a bit of a go.

ajsccfc

It was particularly odd when the head woman said to her 'you're a skilled fighter' Is she? Have we ever seen that?

Her reaction to Denise dying lost all meaning when they leave characters for so long you forget where they were in the story. An hour to focus on Tara and Heath and all I still know about Heath is that his name is Heath

Otis

It was particularly odd when the head woman said to her 'you're a skilled fighter' Is she? Have we ever seen that?

Her reaction to Denise dying lost all meaning when they leave characters for so long you forget where they were in the story. An hour to focus on Tara and Heath and all I still know about Heath is that his name is Heath
Me too.

In fact, when he was first introduced in the episode I had no idea who he was until Tara called him Heath.

King of the Lesbians

Just felt like a bullshit episode to help further on into the series...

<cut to meeting in church>
Michonne "We've got to do something Rick! We have to stop Negan."
Rick "How are we supposed to do that without any guns?"
Tara "Oh, I know where there are fuck loads of guns..."

I'd completely forgotten about Tara. Did she go off on a gap year or something?

Liquid Gold

Obviously a meh episode with the point of bringing together a team of villages to take on Negan. I still don't get this argument that the show has got shit, it's always been shit, watch season 2 again and tell me that which is better.

Otis

Obviously a meh episode with the point of bringing together a team of villages to take on Negan. I still don't get this argument that the show has got shit, it's always been shit, watch season 2 again and tell me that which is better.
I liked season two. Thing is, back then it was still all fresh and new.

It's now grown old and tired.

chiefdave

From the Guardian website

You’re not enjoying this season of The Walking Dead. You can’t be. It’s physically impossible, because it’s the most thankless six episodes of television I can recall seeing. And I can remember Eldorado.

Viewers know how The Walking Dead works by now: it starts big, percolates, stalls until you start to tire, then builds, and finally explodes, and soon all is forgiven. This is the formula that, over six years, has turned a humble genre show about mulched zombie craniums into something my – and possibly your – mum watches.

But this feels different. It’s not that it is miserable now (always was). Or dull (often that too). It’s that it’s both – both, a million times over; both, to the extent that it makes you strongly consider going down to the bottom of the garden for a cry in the weeds. It can be dull, or miserable, but not both – and definitely not for this long.

Previous seasons had long stretches of frowning and little in the way of action, yet relationships were always twisting, growing, fraying. You knew this was solely to maximise the agony of them being torn to shreds, but still. It was enough to keep you invested. Even at its worst, The Walking Dead was a compelling character study.

This year? Things began with the infamous premiere, in which some miserable and incredibly violent things happened, slowly and miserably. Then came an equally slow if refreshingly jovial episode about Carol eating some chocolate and meeting a man with a tiger. Then the one in which Daryl was subjected to assorted discomforts by Dwight – which impressively managed to pack 10 minutes of plot into a meritless 45. Next, a feature-lengther in which nothing of note happened: Rick sweated. Michonne skulked. Carl continued to ecstatically need a haircut. Negan said mean things in that funny way he does, then went home. Last week’s instalment, the soporific nadir if you like, was set at the Hilltop colony. Carl and Enid roller-skated, Maggie and Sasha hid in a cupboard – but not the cupboard you thought! – and there was actually an extended scene in which three characters prayed near some bread.

And what of this week? Well, someone peered at a fish, something about a bridge with sand zombies on it, some talk of the Saviours being bad, Tara made a friend, Eugene cried. Fin. Which part was meant to be entertaining? Which part of any of these episodes, in fact? I did my tax return during one of them, to break the tedium.

A large portion of the blame goes to Negan, who is simply not captivating enough as a villain; his brutality never sufficiently established to acceptably counterpoint his faux-chipper “hot-diggity-dog”isms. Yes, he did cave in a couple of heads, but who hasn’t? It’s the apocalypse.

Remember Terminus? They slaughtered people and ate them! That’s far worse. Negan is just a bully. Yet conversely, whenever he isn’t on screen, nothing happens. Daryl and Rick are mute. Carol’s with that tiger. Who else is there? I can’t even remember. I don’t care.

The ratings for this season have taken a huge hit, now at their lowest since the third series, so audiences are clearly tiring. This isn’t a slow-build. This is an endurance test – and it’s no fun at all.

When you’ve stuck with something for six years, it’s hard to give it up, particularly as you know what’s going on: yes, it’s working up to something. Yes, the mid-season finale will doubtless be spectacular. But is it worth it? Six episodes of misery for a few seconds of release? There comes a point when you have to stop. For me, as far as The Walking Dead goes, this is that point. It has one more chance.

If the next episode isn’t the most thrilling hour of television ever televised, that’s it. I don’t care how much I once loved it. It’s dumped. Damn you, Walking Dead, for letting it come to this.

Otis

From the Guardian website

You’re not enjoying this season of The Walking Dead. You can’t be. It’s physically impossible, because it’s the most thankless six episodes of television I can recall seeing. And I can remember Eldorado.

Viewers know how The Walking Dead works by now: it starts big, percolates, stalls until you start to tire, then builds, and finally explodes, and soon all is forgiven. This is the formula that, over six years, has turned a humble genre show about mulched zombie craniums into something my – and possibly your – mum watches.

But this feels different. It’s not that it is miserable now (always was). Or dull (often that too). It’s that it’s both – both, a million times over; both, to the extent that it makes you strongly consider going down to the bottom of the garden for a cry in the weeds. It can be dull, or miserable, but not both – and definitely not for this long.

Previous seasons had long stretches of frowning and little in the way of action, yet relationships were always twisting, growing, fraying. You knew this was solely to maximise the agony of them being torn to shreds, but still. It was enough to keep you invested. Even at its worst, The Walking Dead was a compelling character study.

This year? Things began with the infamous premiere, in which some miserable and incredibly violent things happened, slowly and miserably. Then came an equally slow if refreshingly jovial episode about Carol eating some chocolate and meeting a man with a tiger. Then the one in which Daryl was subjected to assorted discomforts by Dwight – which impressively managed to pack 10 minutes of plot into a meritless 45. Next, a feature-lengther in which nothing of note happened: Rick sweated. Michonne skulked. Carl continued to ecstatically need a haircut. Negan said mean things in that funny way he does, then went home. Last week’s instalment, the soporific nadir if you like, was set at the Hilltop colony. Carl and Enid roller-skated, Maggie and Sasha hid in a cupboard – but not the cupboard you thought! – and there was actually an extended scene in which three characters prayed near some bread.

And what of this week? Well, someone peered at a fish, something about a bridge with sand zombies on it, some talk of the Saviours being bad, Tara made a friend, Eugene cried. Fin. Which part was meant to be entertaining? Which part of any of these episodes, in fact? I did my tax return during one of them, to break the tedium.

A large portion of the blame goes to Negan, who is simply not captivating enough as a villain; his brutality never sufficiently established to acceptably counterpoint his faux-chipper “hot-diggity-dog”isms. Yes, he did cave in a couple of heads, but who hasn’t? It’s the apocalypse.

Remember Terminus? They slaughtered people and ate them! That’s far worse. Negan is just a bully. Yet conversely, whenever he isn’t on screen, nothing happens. Daryl and Rick are mute. Carol’s with that tiger. Who else is there? I can’t even remember. I don’t care.

The ratings for this season have taken a huge hit, now at their lowest since the third series, so audiences are clearly tiring. This isn’t a slow-build. This is an endurance test – and it’s no fun at all.

When you’ve stuck with something for six years, it’s hard to give it up, particularly as you know what’s going on: yes, it’s working up to something. Yes, the mid-season finale will doubtless be spectacular. But is it worth it? Six episodes of misery for a few seconds of release? There comes a point when you have to stop. For me, as far as The Walking Dead goes, this is that point. It has one more chance.

If the next episode isn’t the most thrilling hour of television ever televised, that’s it. I don’t care how much I once loved it. It’s dumped. Damn you, Walking Dead, for letting it come to this.
Agree with so much of that.

It's not about whether season 2 or 3 was more boring, it's about the here and now and the fact there is a treadmill that keeps turning and revolving ad nauseum and that they keep putting us through the same stuff over and over and that after a while it all gets very tiresome in its repetitiveness.

We've done the baddies over and over again now. New faces, same old baddieness.

What I now worry about is that they keep adding new characters and locations into the mix and that seemingly points to being able to drag out more episodes and seasons as a result, with each character having their backstory and desires told in turn.

I never usually turn my back on any series once I have been hooked from the onset. I even stuck with the infuriating and increasingly bad Lost right to the end. With this though I am teetering.

We all know the finale will be a barnstormer, but how much appetite do we all have left to keep coming back after each finale?

If it were me, I would finish this season and then attempt to wrap everything up next season, with the downfall or victory of Negan and a resolution and happy existence or total wipeout of the Alexandria and Rick mob.

Otherwise viewing figures will continue to drop.

stupot07

Strange episode and I've got no idea where they will go with this. I can only assume the next 3-4 episodes will be flitting between the Tiger gang, Alexandria, the Hill Top group And this new group, oh and back to check on Daryl. There's another 5-6 episodes on which sweet fa will happen. They have made it too big it will be difficult go get to know what's going on where. Too many peripheral characters (I don't mind Tara that much Shea been in it for 2-3 seasons), but I'd forgotten who Heath was, I'd forgotten the guy at Alexandria who had hidden thr guns (I'm terrible with names when it comes to TV programmes), they just flit in and then out again for 6-7 episodes.

I didn't mind seasons 2 and 3 it felt like it was building a story and build characters after season 1 was very much 'hey look, holy shit there are Zombies everywhere". But as the guardian article says, this feels different. I just can't see thr longevity of Neegan's character, he's too cartoonish and seemingly undefeatable - and you kind of get thr feeling from thr bits and bobs I've seen on thr talking dead, that Neegan is supposed to be a long term character, this from now on is phase 2.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ajsccfc

Trevor from GTA was a better Negan when he was giving it loads to that Hilltop creep.

This season is close in structure to the one where they were all separated and mooching about towards Terminus in that it drops in on different people at a time, but the advantage then is that you at least knew those people, half the episodes are a case of 'who's that? where are we?'

covcity4life

booooooooorrrrrrrrrinnnnnnnggggggg

turned off after 20 mins, will watch at some point before next monday

every settlement is evil all the time lol

Otis

much better this week..but bound to be as its midseason break
It was better, but still drawn out and Negan for me is becoming too cartoon, twirly moustache villain-like. Way OTT now I feel.

Also getting a bit silly in general. Negan has them all by the balls, has already killed two of Rick's inner circle, the Saviours must out number the Alexandria lot 20/1 and Negan has ALL of their guns.

They all know the guy's as nutty as a fruitbat and will kill on a whim, especially if you piss him off, yet tonight we had
Daryl escaping (impossible surely), Carl confronting Negan and putting all of Alexandria at risk and Michonne on her way to see Negan, again putting all of Alexandria at risk.

We then have Rosita and her one solitary bullet. While they were there why not try and make as many bullets as they can rather than just the one? Crazy.

Be glad of the mid-season break to be honest.

Otis

I've heard that in future, upon every Negan entrance, this music is going to accompany.

covcity4life

my episode didnt record wtf

put it on demand but taking too long to download so went sleep

will make it a double header tonight alongside westworld finale

ajsccfc

Return to form, although I can't believe for a second they'd have him do anything to Judith. Assuming he was sincere when he upset Carl about the eye, Negan showing an actual person rather than a cartoon villain raising his VOICE every third WORD will help the character a lot.

I was happy they didn't show the iron, but then it being pulled away was disgusting.

Otis

Return to form, although I can't believe for a second they'd have him do anything to Judith. Assuming he was sincere when he upset Carl about the eye, Negan showing an actual person rather than a cartoon villain raising his VOICE every third WORD will help the character a lot.

I was happy they didn't show the iron, but then it being pulled away was disgusting.
It was. Especially as I was making waffles at the time.

ajsccfc

I thought Daryl would have got the iron when they kidnapped him instead of dressing him as a scarecrow and treating him with a megamix of top flight catchy pop.

Otis

Yeah, of course he won't hurt Judith. All designed to rile Rick. I think he wants Rick to react so he can wield Lucille again.

Could well be Carl being the recipient. Interesting that he has now finally revealed his eye to the world, a kind of final denouement and also apparently, Chandler Riggs dad put something on Twitter thanking the producers for the last 6 years.

True, all the contracts are up, but could be Carl's exit perhaps. And if Carl dies, we get back vengeful, steamrolling Rick back.

And isn't Spencer one of the most annoying characters ever! Everyone agree? As well as being one of the weakest too!

skybluegod

Yeah, of course he won't hurt Judith. All designed to rile Rick. I think he wants Rick to react so he can wield Lucille again.

Could well be Carl being the recipient. Interesting that he has now finally revealed his eye to the world, a kind of final denouement and also apparently, Chandler Riggs dad put something on Twitter thanking the producers for the last 6 years.

True, all the contracts are up, but could be Carl's exit perhaps. And if Carl dies, we get back vengeful, steamrolling Rick back.

And isn't Spencer one of the most annoying characters ever! Everyone agree? As well as being one of the weakest too!

Absolutely agree, kill off him and Carl, and all the shit episodes this season are forgiven for me. The most annoying thing is when he keeps going on about how they shouldn't have started against the saviours... No shit sherlock, congratulations you have hindsight.

Overall good episode though, and to be fair to them, they have done two, hour-long episodes this season, and there will be a third next week.

Otis

Absolutely agree, kill off him and Carl, and all the shit episodes this season are forgiven for me. The most annoying thing is when he keeps going on about how they shouldn't have started against the saviours... No shit sherlock, congratulations you have hindsight.

Overall good episode though, and to be fair to them, they have done two, hour-long episodes this season, and there will be a third next week.
Not exactly leadership material when even Father Gabriel is really talking you down and giving you lip.

Last edited:

Otis

As you would expect another good episode, and one that leaves us in suspense until Febuary.
I thought it was just okay. Not great, not poor. Somewhere in the middle.

Negan is already getting rather tiresome and what was with the soap opera-ish close up on each face at the end, just to bash our brains in with a virtual Lucille and let us know they are all as one together once more.

Err.... we got it. No need for the OTT neverending, tediously lingering close ups, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread