The Worst Matchday Experience (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

I would say there a few worse. Only just a few.
Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers are two I can think of.

Terry Gibson's perm

Rubbish it's soulless but places like Crewe and Grimsby are far worse an experience

ccfc92

Well 8000 in a 33000 seater stadium is more empty that 5000 in a 9000 seater stadium for example.

Agreed, but the Ricoh is listed as the worst matchday experience out of 92 grounds on the basis of being "empty".

Bit strange IMO.

wingy

That will change soon enough.
I have every confidence we'll be somewhere else after next season.

Last edited:

pusbccfc

Depends what you want from a matchday experience. The Ricoh is very comfortable, has perfect views across the ground and has a roof unlike some grounds in the league.

rupert_bear

We have to live with it unfortuanately 25/30000 gates are light years away but HR wasn't always noisey. I would close a number of top rows down so the rest houses about 15000 and have dads and kids behind one goal for a tenner a pair and allow the singers corner part way behind the goal nearest them, might help might not but worth a try.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Yes, but it's like a morgue and has been a major contributor in the death of the team it was built for. Vile place.
Absolute crap the reason it's like a morgue is because it's empty,the reason it's empty is because we 're crap. Funny how this ground is vile but you'd be all over Tims shiny shed if he could ever get round to getting it. Perhaps if it wasn't for the fact that that the people usually complaining about the lack of atmosphere contribute the least to it then it would have one.

Terry Gibson's perm

We have to live with it unfortuanately 25/30000 gates are light years away but HR wasn't always noisey. I would close a number of top rows down so the rest houses about 15000 and have dads and kids behind one goal for a tenner a pair and allow the singers corner part way behind the goal nearest them, might help might not but worth a try.

I think many look back on HR and remember it differently than it was, the seats were small and had very limited legroom, the facilities were almost non existent, the toilets were interesting and it was never full certainly from the mid 80's until big Ron came in.

The matchday experience for the away fan is awful at places like Wolves as well, I got soaked there and my nephew is a blues fan and he went there a couple of weeks ago and said he came out covered in pies and beer whee they were throwing it from he top tiers

jabharty

One of the weirder lists, especially when MK Dons gets 47th. Because of course MK Dons always sell their games out.

Hobo

I think many look back on HR and remember it differently than it was, the seats were small and had very limited legroom, the facilities were almost non existent, the toilets were interesting and it was never full certainly from the mid 80's until big Ron came in.

The matchday experience for the away fan is awful at places like Wolves as well, I got soaked there and my nephew is a blues fan and he went there a couple of weeks ago and said he came out covered in pies and beer whee they were throwing it from he top tiers

Agree HR had loads of faults. The West End provided no atmosphere acoustically. The Ricoh, like most grounds needs to be two thirds full.

CCFC88

Stewarding costs would go through the roof

italiahorse

Yes, but it's like a morgue and has been a major contributor in the death of the team it was built for. Vile place.
Are you of the same opinion when it's full ?
What do you think of the atmosphere when we returned and played Gillingham?
One of the greatest feelings I have had with the team is when the team walked out for that game. Shivers and tears.

Moff

Despise the place, empty or full. Crap soulless stadium. Have been to better, been to worse, its where we are so stuck with it for now.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Match day experience there can't be many worse for home supporters.

The 'greeting' from stewards, the lack of atmosphere, lack of quality on the pitch.

Travs

Match day experience is far more than the view from your seat, and legroom. It's the location of the ground, proximity to decent facilities like public transport, town/city centre, atmosphere.

Unfortunately the Ricoh is rightfully situated at the bottom of the pile. I've been to games in the Spanish 4th division which are a better match day experience overall.

I do take issue with the list though. Liverpool and Man Utd near the top?

For me the top few would be Norwich, Forest, Barnsley, Brentford, Everton, Sheff Weds.

Despite the current hatred for Sheffield United, in terms of overall experience it's a lot better than my eyes than the Ricoh. Although for such a 'massive club' the atmosphere is usually startlingly poor.

Travs

Derby seems to be the best of a bad bunch when it comes to the new stadiums. Always found their home fans to be reasonably noisy (although there's not much competition in this country, perhaps Wolves and Forest being two of the better ones as well).

Although Derby knocking out over 25000 fans every week does help their atmosphere...

shmmeee

We've been saying for years they need to artificially restrain capacity at the Ricoh.

The original super stadium with the roof and sliding pitch had it built in IIRC. But it also had unicorns to wipe your arse so...

wingy

We've been saying for years they need to artificially restrain capacity at the Ricoh.

The original super stadium with the roof and sliding pitch had it built in IIRC. But it also had unicorns to wipe your arse so...
MK 's structure would have helped with this.
Reality is it was built for top tier football.
It will never suffice in the current model.

Bumberclart

I hate the Ricoh, always have, and its not necessarily about the construction or layout.
Its on a retail park, miles from the city centre, with no feeling of a community or hospitality.

At least its owned by some shitty London franchise.

The Reverend Skyblue

I dislike the Ricoh as well, just a stale atmosphere and has no heart to the place.
It sounds good to have a 32000 seater stadium and if it was in the heart of the community would be a good day out but its sterile stuck out there on the outskirts of the city on a bloody trading estate.

Grendel

it's grim and what's worse is the way structurally it seems declining at an alarming rate.

fernandopartridge

it's grim and what's worse is the way structurally it seems declining at an alarming rate.

What? As in the physical structure is deteriorating? I must say, the external maintenance since it was built has been non-existent, no landscaping, it's very tatty looking.

Users who are viewing this thread