The Worst of the Worst (1 Viewer)

Grendel

To be honest I always laugh when someone says "that is the worst Coventry city player in that position I've ever seen"

We had it the other day. Tudgay - the worst striker - oddly the poster admitted to seeing John Gayle. They cannot have seen the dying embers of Bob Latchford, the curious Graham Withey or the Greek beach bum Tommy Langley whose sprinting prowess made Yakubu look like Bolt on a very good day.

The point is comparisons normally are pointless as there are hundreds of worse examples from the archives.

However, as I sat watching the ensuing car crash on Saturday I did genuinely think as a regular first choice Lee Burge has to be the worst goalkeeper. Yes the inevitable Italian will be mentioned but I'd wager hardly anyone saw his game (I did ironically) and it's one game. There was the French guy and the Danish one and Scott shearer but I can't recall the depths I see this guy sink to.

The tennis ball game he looked like he'd been hit by one as he staggered around the 6 yard box. The first goal on Saturday I thought the poor chap had contracted St Vitus dance. Then he seemed to have concrete boots as he lumbered out to not claim a ball that was 80 20 his to get.

Yet when Mowbray first arrived he never addressed the most important position in the team - he started as his number one.

Lee Burge enters my hall of fame as the worst of the worst. Yet no one has done anything about it at the club.

Nick

Administrator
Danny Ireland, he was a mixture of Burge and Yakubu that time he came on.

Can't see why for what Yakubu is getting we couldn't have got an older, experienced goalie.

Grendel

Fabian Debec, without question, as the worst.

(As we're doing keepers, I'll throw in an honourable mention for Gary Montgomery who was thrust in too soon, and ended up giving up football to play cricket!)

Burge is worse. He looks like a lumbering fool and is getting worse every game. It's now beyond embarrassing.

nmp2327

Remain staggered that no recent manager has addressed the goalkeeping issue we clearly have. I am certain our defensive frailties start with our totally inept keepers and their inability to take charge of their own areas. Whoever should manage us next season please make this a number 1 priority and build a team that starts with a goalie the defence can have confidence in

Nick

Administrator
Wonder why Michael Quirke just vanished but Burge is still here.

Should have got an old head in to stand in goal and command the back 4.

Addai seems to be a bit ropey as well.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

As my username suggests, it would be churlish of me to opt for anyone other than the great Dimi Konstantopoulos - though seems he's gone on to forge a reasonable enough career post-City.

ajsccfc

I can't believe Danny Ireland isn't retired from football, he seemed like his spine was made from papier mache.

Grendel

Rafael nuzzo who remembers his debut against tranmere!

But he was 3rd choice as was Ireland who pulled his hamstring 5 minutes after coming on for his only game.

oucho

We had it the other day. Tudgay - the worst striker - oddly the poster admitted to seeing John Gayle. They cannot have seen the dying embers of Bob Latchford, the curious Graham Withey or the Greek beach bum Tommy Langley whose sprinting prowess made Yakubu look like Bolt on a very good day.
Or Roy O'Donovan

Paxman II

To be honest I always laugh when someone says "that is the worst Coventry city player in that position I've ever seen"

The point is comparisons normally are pointless as there are hundreds of worse examples from the archives.

However, as I sat watching the ensuing car crash on Saturday I did genuinely think as a regular first choice Lee Burge has to be the worst goalkeeper. Yes the inevitable Italian will be mentioned but I'd wager hardly anyone saw his game (I did ironically) and it's one game. There was the French guy and the Danish one and Scott shearer but I can't recall the depths I see this guy sink to.

The tennis ball game he looked like he'd been hit by one as he staggered around the 6 yard box. The first goal on Saturday I thought the poor chap had contracted St Vitus dance. Then he seemed to have concrete boots as he lumbered out to not claim a ball that was 80 20 his to get.

Yet when Mowbray first arrived he never addressed the most important position in the team - he started as his number one.

Lee Burge enters my hall of fame as the worst of the worst. Yet no one has done anything about it at the club.

Should we not be asking questions of the goal keeping coach? The legend that is Oggy?

CJ_covblaze

Wonder why Michael Quirke just vanished but Burge is still here.

Should have got an old head in to stand in goal and command the back 4.

Addai seems to be a bit ropey as well.

Addai's style is very unorthodox. When I've seen him play it takes me back to watching Kasper Schmeichel whilst being sat with someone from the FA's national set up. Anti everything the FA's coaching manual says you should do but still fairly effective. Issue is when you're like that when you make a mistake you look a lot worse than if you do things by the book.

Grendel

Should we not be asking questions of the goal keeping coach? The legend that is Oggy?

No how can he coach the worst goalkeeper to be anything else?

The other really bad one was Raddy Avramowich - what can he do if the guy is a useless fuckwit.

CJ_covblaze

Rafael nuzzo who remembers his debut against tranmere!

"The third best keeper in Serie A". Can't normally think about poor keepers without mentioning Rafaelle Gonzalez Robles. Signed for us several years ago. He turned up every week home and away to warm up and have a kick about at half time but rarely even made the bench, even if we only had one other keeper there!

clint van damme

Remain staggered that no recent manager has addressed the goalkeeping issue we clearly have. I am certain our defensive frailties start with our totally inept keepers and their inability to take charge of their own areas. Whoever should manage us next season please make this a number 1 priority and build a team that starts with a goalie the defence can have confidence in

got to agree. Don't think any side as ever had a modicum of success swapping and changing goal keepers like we have.
Personally I'd have got an experienced keeper in and had RCC as his understudy and let Burge go.

StevieM

What!!!! How very dare you question the mighty ones "job for life" status?
How many third division clubs that haven't got a pot to piss in still employ a full time couldn't coach a goalkeeper as long as they have a hole up their arse / dugout proper upper / substitute paperwork hander inner / seemingly untouchable throughout multiple management staff changes until they feckin' decide that they will retire types?

Bumberclart

Debec was a different class of useless.
Try and dig out the footage of the goal he conceded away at Bradford.........just comical.

SkyBlueSid

I guess I must be older than most people on here. How can we have got this far into discussing CCFC's worst goalkeepers without a single mention of the hapless Eric McManus? He was the one who let in 6 in Munich, playing for the first 20 minutes like he was blindfolded. He had other memorable moments, his speciality being letting the ball trickle between his legs into the net. His handling was as if he was wearing greasy boxing gloves.

lifeskyblue

Burge certainly one of if not the worst. Trouble is rcc not much if any better. Like others surprised we haven't bought in an experienced keeper.
The only thing I would say in their defence is that they are playing behind the worst defensive unit we have ever had in the worst team we have ever had. Of course burge and rcc also give the back 3/4 jitters.
I agree with Grendel that often impossible to compare 'worst ' individuals. One thing I think we can all agree on is we now have the worst team we have ever seen in sky blue.

PUSB

Ashdown

Got to agree with some of the comments, Burge is a shocking liability but I haven't been blown away by RCC either who was worth a goal a game to the oppo last year at times. At this level, you need someone very robust and brave above all else. Your defenders completely change in attitude for the good with a shouty, dominant type behind them. I also agree that the game has changed so much now and Oggy has had his day. He would have been comical playing in todays game as his actual 'football' ability was dreadful, so how can he coach anyone with confidence.

NortonSkyBlue

I can't recall his name but the Yugoslav goalkeeper who had such a bad game in 83-4 that Gould said in the press he would never play again. Next game the replacement was injured and Gould had to eat humble pie!

Grendel

eastwoodsdustman

I can't recall his name but the Yugoslav goalkeeper who had such a bad game in 83-4 that Gould said in the press he would never play again. Next game the replacement was injured and Gould had to eat humble pie!

Raddy avramovic is the one.
I'll say that Dimi and Scott Shearer were both on the same level as Burge in my opinion. None of them instil any confidence in the back 4 as their decision making is awful.

Liquid Gold

Yep completely agree, he's terrible. Most of the other players mentioned either didn't play too many games or made mistakes but at a higher level.

bringbackrattles

The great Brian Clough said to build a winning team you have to start with the keeper.So he bought Shilton and built from the back.Even an average team needs a solid goalie,and we haven't got one !

Users who are viewing this thread