'There's a lot of tired legs out there' (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueMania

I just caught the last ten minutes of Fulham v Blackpool and then switched to watch the end of the Johnstone paint trophy. There are a few minutes left of the game, a winger sprints down the side line and there's no one in the middle to cross to and the commentator says 'there's a lot of tired legs and tired minds out there'. Never mind the fact that they are 1 nil up and in the final minutes of a cup final and don't want to commit players forward, it's obviously because they are tired.

It could just be me but it's a football cliche that i only ever hear when watching lower league, including championship, or FA cup games and it insinuates, to me, that the so called 'tired team' are of poor quality and fitness and are punching above their weight.

Why is this? Carlisle and Brentford are both professional teams, their fitness will be no less than that of a premier league side? I never hear it said in premier league ties, gets right on my tits so it does! Is it just me that thinks this?

hamil99

Facebook User
Work rates a lot higher in the premier. Players move more off the ball then they do in lower leagues, generally exerting themselves continually. Wud be interesting to see, on average, how far a premier footballer runs and how far a conference player runs in a match. Ez

Nonleagueherewecome

Steve Bull always said the players at the top are there due to hunger, pride and ambition-they work that much harder to get the best out of their talent. Bullly reckoned he was a "rubbish" player-not good enough for the league, never mind England-but there was no-one in the game as determined who worked on fitness, sharpness and getting everything he could out of himself. The lower leagues are littered with gifted but lazy players who didn't have the graft or fitness to do it justice. Mental sharpness goes hand in hand with physical fitness. Thornton is an example-by the end of his time here he could barely run, yet as a youngster had the ability to become a Prem player and Irish International.

SkyBlueMania

yeah i suppose the difference between league 1 and the premiership is probably down to continual effort and commitment at a young age, its just something thats always bugged me how if your not in the premiership you're tired after 75 minutes.

derbyskyblue

Am i right in thinking steve bull got called up for england while still playing 3rd division football for wolves?

Users who are viewing this thread