Things you miss most about the 'old' Coventry? (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

I guess this is one for the older folks. But maybe even the younger ones have something that they miss.
Or maybe you think it's better than ever and everything is an improvement?

I think the biggest loss is the city centre where Broadgate with the traffic circling the Lady Godiva statue surrounded by a green lawn was the focal point of the city. And all the great shops there used to be in the city. It seemed like the entire population came into the city centre by bus on a Saturday and it really was a bustling shopping mecca.
Cov-Broadgate.jpg

Last edited:

B-Ban-Boogie

Running through the Belgrade Theatre fountain... :)

UBYNAEs.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Running through the Belgrade Theatre fountain... :)

UBYNAEs.jpg

Still remember watching some bloke get thrown in there, was the randomest / funniest thing. He was kicking off and shouting abuse and mouthing, the other guy just walked up and sort of power slammed him in there and walked off.

Captain Dart

A poorly lit (old) pool meadow on a dark winters night & boarding the bus to go home.
I seem to remember stalls selling roasted chestnuts near the way in (or an I imagining that, I was quite young at the time, early 60's).
B008.jpg

Otis

I guess this is one for the older folks. But maybe even the younger ones have something that they miss.
Or maybe you think it's better than ever and everything is an improvement?

I think the biggest loss is the city centre where Broadgate with the traffic circling the Lady Godiva statue surrounded by a green lawn was the focal point of the city. And all the great shops there used to be in the city. It seemed like the entire population came into the city centre by bus on a Saturday and it really was a bustling shopping mecca.
View attachment 5458
Yeah, agree. Broadgate is okay now and they can obviously do the market stalls and ice rinks and beer festival tents they do every now and again, but I prefer it green.

Shame.

Sky_Blue_Daz

The parsons nose
The chess board that was outside the library
Davies sport shop
The courtyard pub
The toy shop that's where the library is now(it might not have been by the library actually)

Joy Division

I moved away when I was a kid back in the early 90's. It was horrible then and not much better now, which is a shame.

I do miss poster place though, that was cool.

Grendel

Poster place and the concert hall are the things missed most.

That said the motor museum is the only decent thing there now.

Rest is a hell hole.

skybluedan

Shambles
Hannigans for me Simpson jeans and rockports
Leisure land next to porkys (Hot pork roll)
Parsons nose
What was the chippy in the burgess called backed in the day the one where they already have the chips half cooked already ?
Going swimming at cov baths and diving off 5th all day then a cone from fishys

skybluedan

Rest is a hell hole.

The car museum used to be so good, last time I went thrust 2 was in there

Otis

Rest is a hell hole.
The old cathedral ruins? That's a hell hole? St Mary's Guildhall? A hell hole? The Herbert Museum? A hell hole? Holy Trinity Church with its doomsday painting? Fargo Village?

Okay. Nowt like a bit of generalising is there.

I miss Poster Place and also Broadgate being green. Used to like it before Cathedral Lanes was built too with the views of the cathedral.

Miss Tiffany's and Virgin's (the old store).

Otis

It was. Anyone remember the Sizzler restaurant? I used to love that place. It was at the side of Coventry Theatre (in the same building)

Oh and I miss the Coventry Theatre. Saw some great bands there.

skybluedan

The bird cage as well I liked, and the bmx jumps where cathedral lanes was , think there was a a wishing well too

Grendel

The old cathedral ruins? That's a hell hole? St Mary's Guildhall? A hell hole? The Herbert Museum? A hell hole? Holy Trinity Church with its doomsday painting? Fargo Village?

Okay. Nowt like a bit of generalising is there.

I miss Poster Place and also Broadgate being green. Used to like it before Cathedral Laneswas built too with the views of the cathedral.

Miss Tiffany's and Virgin's (the old store).

It's ghastly, you will think I'm making this up but I'm not,

I had to meet some overseas guests at the motor museum. I parked in the open car park by the swimming pool. I was approached by some heroine addled creature begging for money.

After showing round the muses I decided to go for a drink, I went in a pub that is mock Tudor - was the Tally Ho? It was shit. In the pub I was propositioned for sex by someone who looked about 80 and weighed 80 stone. She wanted cash and asked to go to the Brittania hotel - I told her to fuck off.

Going back to the car park by the pay machine another beggar

We don't let overseas visitors book in coventry. It's dire.

skybluedan

I had to meet some overseas guests at the motor museum. I parked in the open car park by the swimming pool. I was approached by some heroine addled creature begging for money.

After showing round the muses I decided to go for a drink, I went in a pub that is mock Tudor - was the Tally Ho? It was shit. In the pub I was propositioned for sex by someone who looked about 80 and weighed 80 stone. She wanted cash and asked to go to the Brittania hotel - I told her to fuck off.

How much did she want ? And was this recently

Gazolba

There used to be so many record stores in town. I used to get the bus in on a Saturday morning go round them all, <snip>
Fennels is the one I remember. I still have a couple of LPs I got there. But the very first place I ever bought a record was BHS. They had a counter that dealt with just music. They had these little free booklets that listed every record released that month. Hundreds of obscure artists.

Si80

I can quite believe that all of that happened. But fuck me you must've known never to step foot in the Tally Ho / Tudor Rose :D

Theirs some nice places to eat and drink in Cov now. Certainly in and around Spon St, Broadgate and the Belgrade Plaza areas. I agree with regards to hotels though, we have no "nice" hotel in the city centre imo.

Gazolba

Anyone remember the Alhambra? It was at the bottom of the street behind where the Silver Sword is/was (if my memory is not playing tricks). It was a nice comfy place to go for a drink.
I also used to go to the Cheylesmore quite a bit. Another nice place, now demolished.
The Smithfield Hotel was another place I frequented, now gone as well.

Otis

Well that's your experience. We have had visitors over from Canada, Russia and the States and they have loved it here.

Why did you go to the Tudor Rose? You go to the wrong places you will meet the wrong people.

Simple really.

Users who are viewing this thread