This forum Works Well. (1 Viewer)

Flying Fokker

But anyone remember the days of waiting outside newsagents at 5:45 for the Pink to be dropped off.

Simple, basic journalism that few of us questioned. When results counted, attendances,league position on a cold winter's evening.

rustyredline

The sky blues were covered in the national press alot more back then, being a top league side. Remember people taking the wireless on the last day of the season, now they just check their iphones etc.

wingy

For us Dinosuars it was an impressive feat to get it out so swiftly.Promoting dangerous driving by those delivery drivers in their black austin J4 vans with their sliding doors.

More appreciated due to the impatiance involved .

Kind of proves the theory that work fills the amount of time available to complete it.

lordsummerisle

The second half report was always a lot briefer than the first half one!

They used to have the late results printed up the side of the back page as well from what I can remember.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I remember having to deliver the pink newspaper every saturday night ......... reading it first of course :)

lordsummerisle

Used to get it sent out to me every week when I was based out in Germany in the RAF, always a good day when that arrived.

torchomatic

Me and me Dad used to wait outside the newsagents with the other old blokes waiting for that black Telegraph van to deliver them on a Saturday night. He used to drop them outside the newsagents door and everyone would take one, then go in next day and pay. Brilliant.

torchomatic

Just after six on a Saturday night for us!

The paper used to arrive in Switzerland on the following Wednesday at the earliest - a loooong wait!

SkyBlueSwiss

Used to get it sent out to me every week when I was based out in Germany in the RAF, always a good day when that arrived.

Where were you posted?
I was at Waterloo barracks outside Munster for two years (memories of NATO war games in deep mid-winter up Paderborn way - you lazy air force types never got involved in those hardships :D ).

hutch1972

Still have a box load up the loft, the wife wonders why it takes me hours to get the christmas decs down every year. I cannot go up there without getting my old fac preview papers out, if you remember they used to produce them every round,not just the big matches.

lordsummerisle

Where were you posted?
I was at Waterloo barracks outside Munster for two years (memories of NATO war games in deep mid-winter up Paderborn way - you lazy air force types never got involved in those hardships :D ).

I had a couple of years at Widenrath before it closed down in '92, then a year in Gutersloh until that closed down, I was a bit like the Grim Reaper when it came to places I was posted to closing down.

Liked the RAF, the only Service that sent the officers out to fight!

hutch1972

Where were you posted?

Paderborn, now that brings back memories of a few hangovers. Spent a while in sennelager and 5 years in sleepy fallingbostal so we might have crossed along the way !

SkyBlueSwiss

Paderborn, now that brings back memories of a few hangovers. Spent a while in sennelager and 5 years in sleepy fallingbostal so we might have crossed along the way !

I was there in 1971 to 1973, so might have been a bit before your time?
Without alcohol I think we would have frozen to death on those NATO winter exercises on the North German border!
How would the youth of today fare if they had to man the Iron Curtain I wonder :D

SkyBlueSwiss

I had a couple of years at Widenrath before it closed down in '92, then a year in Gutersloh until that closed down, I was a bit like the Grim Reaper when it came to places I was posted to closing down.

Liked the RAF, the only Service that sent the officers out to fight!

RAF used to fly us around in all sorts of Helicopters in those days when on exercises. Remember the first time I went on a recce in a scout chopper. That pilot started straight up at full blast, leaving my breakfast several thousand feet directly below!
Second tour of Northern Ireland, RAF flew us over in a Hercules. Never experienced such noise as that - even worse than being flown into combat on those Sea King choppers! (were they Sea Kings that took a full combat squad with all their equipment? Might have the name wrong).

Last edited:

lordsummerisle

RAF used to fly us around in all sorts of Helicopters in those days when on exercises. Remember the first time I went on a recce in a scout chopper. That pilot started straight up at full blast, leaving my breakfast several thousand feet directly below!
Second tour of Northern Ireland, RAF flew us over in a Hercules. Never experienced such noise as that - even worse than being flown into combat on those Sea King choppers!

Hercs bloody noisy! Had a few far too long flights on them, 8 to 10 hours and you can't hear for the next week.

Far preferred the old VC10 and Tristar for flying in(which are still going!).

SkyblueBazza

Anyway...the Pink...
It was part of an exciting era. Where there was anticipation & wonderment about things as you had to wait for them. It's a thing of the past though - I mean with the Liverpool dominance never seemed to be a given at the start of any season back in the day. The eventual winning the League was applauded too, looked forward to seeing it usually on MOTD on a Saturday night or a special screening in the week. It's all become so meaningless with the PL preordained to be fought out between MU & one of the other three...& removed from the masses by satellite TV, which now seems to dictate what day of the week it'll happen. My lad is a MU fan ( sorry, I am a bad parent!) & he came in with a degree of happiness but nothing like that it was for my old mates who Liverpool fans back then. I greeted it with a shrug of the shoulders.

Users who are viewing this thread