Time wasting (1 Viewer)

Hobo

Which is aligned to my earlier post but it is still subjective according to the ref. The clock cannot really be questioned so it's the team in possession's responsibility to keep the game flowing or hand possession back

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Let the clock decide and force the refs hand then

itsabuzzard

With you on this one. It's anti-football, fucking diabolical and the rules should be changed to outlaw it.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Emailed FA suggesting they position a certified lunatic at each corner, with a 6' length of 3 by 2, with strict instructions to leather any player coming within range (unless it's for a legit corner). Still waiting for a reply.

Otis

Emailed FA suggesting they position a certified lunatic at each corner, with a 6' length of 3 by 2, with strict instructions to leather any player coming within range (unless it's for a legit corner). Still waiting for a reply.

Either that or just deploy the ball boys with cattle prods.

skybluegod

But that is happening with the current situation. If it happened under my suggestions...there wouldn't be any loss as far as I can see...but there would be positives

How is it a positive for a player to be sent off, for making an honest mistake?

ccfcricoh

Refs just need better judgement and more balls to actually do something about it.

Goal kicks and throw-ins, warn them first time they are time wasting (surely 10 seconds is enough for a goal kick!), second time booking, third time red. Also agree in stopping GK picking which side to take kick from.

With subs, i just dont think they should stop the game, there's a fourth official that can manage it, new player cant come on until old player has come off. Can still only be done when ball out of play to make sure players know who is off and on, but as soon as thats announced referee carries on.

Time wasting is a pain in the arse but we're all guilty...

SkyblueBazza

How is it a positive for a player to be sent off, for making an honest mistake?
The positive is the reduced situations where players deliberately kick the ball away from where kick/throws are to be taken from to disrupt the flow of the game by. The negative you describe happens anyway from time to time. Refs can make honest mistakes too.

Irish Sky Blue

One of the worst examples of time wasting I saw was at Preston a few years ago and it was by their fans. The ball went out for our throw in, their fans wouldn't throw the ball back (something they did several times) which resulted in Joe Murphy going into the stand to get the ball. Credit to the ref on that occasion as he added on loads of time with Moussa scoring a great goal with virtually the last kick to equalise.

Nick

Administrator
One of the worst examples of time wasting I saw was at Preston a few years ago and it was by their fans. The ball went out for our throw in, their fans wouldn't throw the ball back (something they did several times) which resulted in Joe Murphy going into the stand to get the ball. Credit to the ref on that occasion as he added on loads of time with Moussa scoring a great goal with virtually the last kick to equalise.

Their keeper did it at the Ricoh in the JPT too, it backfired then as well :)

Otis

Another very simple solution is to put the ref's watch on a digital timer on the scoreboard. Should be dead easy to set up with modern technology. Ref stops play, the scoreboard clock timer stops instantly.

Then the keeper, throw in taker, or player slowly ambling off to be substituted, can just look up at the scoreboard and see that their actions are completely futile.

Every stoppage, ref presses his watch and stops time and we immediately see the watch has stopped on the scoreboard. You wouldn't even have added time then. The ref would just keep pressing his watch and we would simply get the 90 minutes we are supposed to get.

sb84

Another very simple solution is to put the ref's watch on a digital timer on the scoreboard. Should be dead easy to set up with modern technology. Ref stops play, the scoreboard clock timer stops instantly.

Then the keeper, throw in taker, or player slowly ambling off to be substituted, can just look up at the scoreboard and see that their actions are completely futile.

Every stoppage, ref presses his watch and stops time and we immediately see the watch has stopped on the scoreboard. You wouldn't even have added time then. The ref would just keep pressing his watch and we would simply get the 90 minutes we are supposed to get.
This was fifa proposal, basically a Rugby Union style clock but they also built in 2x 30 minute halves as apparently we only get an average of 60 minutes in play for the regular 90 minute games. It all made the press this week as one game in the premiership only had 47minutes of ball in play for the 90+ minutes of the game.

SkyblueBazza

This was fifa proposal, basically a Rugby Union style clock but they also built in 2x 30 minute halves as apparently we only get an average of 60 minutes in play for the regular 90 minute games. It all made the press this week as one game in the premiership only had 47minutes of ball in play for the 90+ minutes of the game.
Yes...I thought that was kinda the whole point of the thread?

sb84

yes but I would still rather see 2x45 minutes but just think Fifa should look at ways of keeping the ball in play for longer. Rugby style clock could also be taken advantage of on last day of season when you need to know someone else's result, we could end up watching one match for a few hours with the way modern footballers look to take advantage of just about anything they can, my fear on this is that they would feign an injury to lengthen a game just to see if their 0-0 draw will be enough to keep them up because someone else has already lost, again not good for the paying punter who wants to watch entertaining football.

skybluegod

The positive is the reduced situations where players deliberately kick the ball away from where kick/throws are to be taken from to disrupt the flow of the game by. The negative you describe happens anyway from time to time. Refs can make honest mistakes too.

But it's not a mistake, it would be that the law is too harsh?
You also see players booked for apparently kicking the ball away, when they think they have kept it in, or when they don't realise that the ref has given the free kick the other way.
Would be a ridiculous reason to start sending people off.

The Great Eastern

Watched a local amateur game last night which was the lowest rung of Senior football according to the FA gradings.
The amount of time wasting and cynical game disrupting tactics, by the team who were comfortably leading, was infuriating to watch.
I'm normally involved with Junior or Primary level clubs & these type of tactics rarely get used. For them, its all about getting more goals than the opposition by the time the final whistle goes...

SkyblueBazza

But it's not a mistake, it would be that the law is too harsh?
You also see players booked for apparently kicking the ball away, when they think they have kept it in, or when they don't realise that the ref has given the free kick the other way.
Would be a ridiculous reason to start sending people off.
I reckon most of what you describe there is done exactly for the purpose of slowing proceedings down to allow their teamates time to regroup - so therefore serves as a positive in those instances. Sometimes it does just happen but it is mostly pretty obvious. And I don't think I ever said it was a straight sending off did I?

Can't think why anyone would be in favour of time wasting. Sadly the refs cannot be trusted to stamp it out so I reckon something should be done. Reducing the game time to 30mins each way is simply not on

skybluegod

I reckon most of what you describe there is done exactly for the purpose of slowing proceedings down to allow their teamates time to regroup - so therefore serves as a positive in those instances. Sometimes it does just happen but it is mostly pretty obvious. And I don't think I ever said it was a straight sending off did I?

Can't think why anyone would be in favour of time wasting. Sadly the refs cannot be trusted to stamp it out so I reckon something should be done. Reducing the game time to 30mins each way is simply not on

'Not if you make a rule that if the whistle blows you risk dissmissal for kicking the ball away. Some subjectivity there I know, but situations like you describe can be spotted pretty easily'

Are you not suggesting there that they get sent off? If that's not what you meant then my bad?
As I say imo I don't think a lot of it is done to time waste, why would you time waste at 0-0 or 1-1, not a very good tactic to keep running with the ball or kick the ball away when you aren't winning.
It's so complicated to make laws for time wasting, because the rules could then be biased against the winning team.

Otis

'Not if you make a rule that if the whistle blows you risk dissmissal for kicking the ball away. Some subjectivity there I know, but situations like you describe can be spotted pretty easily'

Are you not suggesting there that they get sent off? If that's not what you meant then my bad?
As I say imo I don't think a lot of it is done to time waste, why would you time waste at 0-0 or 1-1, not a very good tactic to keep running with the ball or kick the ball away when you aren't winning.
It's so complicated to make laws for time wasting, because the rules could then be biased against the winning team.
Teams do time waste though at 0-0 or 1-1 if a draw is vital to their needs, especially down the wrong end of the table.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It needs refs to be stronger and have more 'bottle' if you like and also for them to 'realise/stamp' down on time wasting before before the 80th min it happens in games from the 10th min! It'll happen a lot this season teams happy for a point (or nick an early goal) and they'll do it!

Like dissent I bet if you give one warning, inform the players they'll be booked next time and somebody is booked after 20 mins for time wasting they'll get a shift on!

skybluegod

Teams do time waste though at 0-0 or 1-1 if a draw is vital to their needs, especially down the wrong end of the table.
Okay yes true but it's less Common, and it is rarely done from the first minute. Unless as you say it is vital to their needs, but that is probably going to be a last 2/3 game of the season thing?

Otis

Okay yes true but it's less Common, and it is rarely done from the first minute. Unless as you say it is vital to their needs, but that is probably going to be a last 2/3 game of the season thing?
Yeah, that's what I am talking about. Last 4 or 5 games or something where a point would be great. Also, a bottom table team away at a table topping team, with little chance of bagging all 3 points.

Otis

It needs refs to be stronger and have more 'bottle' if you like and also for them to 'realise/stamp' down on time wasting before before the 80th min it happens in games from the 10th min! It'll happen a lot this season teams happy for a point (or nick an early goal) and they'll do it!

Like dissent I bet if you give one warning, inform the players they'll be booked next time and somebody is booked after 20 mins for time wasting they'll get a shift on!

Going off on a slight tangent, I also hate this unwritten 'it's only one foul ref, first one, so don't book me' rule. Irks me greatly.

Case in point last night in the Liverpool match. Firminio I think it was. Weaved his way through the Hoffenheim defence, so their big centre back stepped up and deliberately body checked him, shoulder to chest.

Really cynical, horrible challenge. The ref goes to his pocket and the defender immediately stuck up his hand and waved one finger at the ref, pleading it was his first offence. The ref ignores that and books him.

To my mind that should be a straight red. Straight red every time. I hate that sort of stuff. It is pure and utter cheating.

Completely different to the likes of the Gary Cahill sending off in the first game of the season. Cahill makes a genuine challenge for the ball, but ends up with his studs showing, straight red.

Surely the blatant body check with no attempt to
go for the ball is just as bad if not worse. Totally get Cahill's studs were showing and that's categorised as a red card, but how can a blatant body check be just a yellow?

I think any blatant body check or shirt pull, or trip should be a straight red every time. And bollocks to all this taking one for the team and this pleading it is only a first offence is just pure nonsense.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

Games would finish about 5 hours later.,

I'm sure I read somewhere that in 45 mins the ball is in play about 25

Otis

But I don't think it would, Pete, for the very simple fact that players would see they are not getting away with it.

We all scratch our heads with refs sometimes thinking '5 minutes added on? What the hell!' and then the flip, 'Only 5 minutes added on, you're having a laugh ref.' It's not at all an exact science and quite often you will have Clive Eakin declaring his surprise at the amount of time added, or not added on.

If the ref controls a timer on the scoreboard we would all see exactly where he has stopped it and he would be under scrutiny for all to see if he wasn't stopping his watch. And if he was stopping it, for how long.

Pointless the goalkeeper wasting time if he can see the clock not moving. Same too for subs and throw ins and free kicks etc. The ref kills the game until the ball is back in play, making time wasting a pointless exercise. Time wasting wouldn't work.

Added to that of course there would indeed be some time wasting to try and kill momentum, at first at least. One side on the up, with the momentum, other side tries to kill that momentum by taking their time. That's where the ref would then book them. The clock has stopped, but they are still trying to time waste.

Bottom line is, if teams see there is no advantage whatsoever in their wasting time they wouldn't do it and there is no way a match would go on for the time you have described.

Clock stops. Any time wasting then while the clock is stopped results in cards.

skybluegod

Yeah, that's what I am talking about. Last 4 or 5 games or something where a point would be great. Also, a bottom table team away at a table topping team, with little chance of bagging all 3 points.

Yeah no I agree with that, but you can't change rules half way or 3/4 of a way through a season is what I'm saying. So while teams may do some things on purpose in these few games, it may be done by accident on others, and so changing the rules too such a harsh punishment in this case is for me not right.

ccfcway

Watched the athletico Madrid game over the weekend and they took "official water breaks" due to the heat.

Players standing around for 2 mins drinking water and talking to the coaches. They didn't even stop the clock for that !

Nick

Administrator
Yeah no I agree with that, but you can't change rules half way or 3/4 of a way through a season is what I'm saying. So while teams may do some things on purpose in these few games, it may be done by accident on others, and so changing the rules too such a harsh punishment in this case is for me not right.

They could still start enforcing the current rules more.

SkyblueBazza

No I was suggesting sin bins when they are obviously doing it to gain an advantage. Then a further offence means a sin bin again plus 1 game ban. Further offence is another sin bin & another game ban. If time wasting is an issue for the FA & fans then we should do what we can to remove subjectivity.

Irish Sky Blue

Going off on a slight tangent, I also hate this unwritten 'it's only one foul ref, first one, so don't book me' rule. Irks me greatly.

Case in point last night in the Liverpool match. Firminio I think it was. Weaved his way through the Hoffenheim defence, so their big centre back stepped up and deliberately body checked him, shoulder to chest.

Really cynical, horrible challenge. The ref goes to his pocket and the defender immediately stuck up his hand and waved one finger at the ref, pleading it was his first offence. The ref ignores that and books him.

To my mind that should be a straight red. Straight red every time. I hate that sort of stuff. It is pure and utter cheating.

Completely different to the likes of the Gary Cahill sending off in the first game of the season. Cahill makes a genuine challenge for the ball, but ends up with his studs showing, straight red.

Surely the blatant body check with no attempt to
go for the ball is just as bad if not worse. Totally get Cahill's studs were showing and that's categorised as a red card, but how can a blatant body check be just a yellow?

I think any blatant body check or shirt pull, or trip should be a straight red every time. And bollocks to all this taking one for the team and this pleading it is only a first offence is just pure nonsense.

if you think about the studs showing rule, it is hard to see how a player can make a sliding tackle without it being a foul.

SkyblueBazza

I largely agree with you - apart from that you seem to think it ok to waste time in the last 10mins. People pay to watch football not time wasting. If the ball is in play & they choose to piss about in the corner that is acceptable...the onus is on the team needing the ball to get it off them. But to deploy deliberate spoiling tactics when they have a throw-in by passing it from one to another then another to take the throw, or deliberately block the opposition from getting on with things - that should be punished.

The refs appear unwilling or incapable of dealing with it by applying the current rules. So something should change. Just reducing the amount of time of each half is the same as the trains saying that only 1% of trains are late after increasing the journey time by 15mins just to reduce the percentage from 5%.

The one thing guaranteed is that ticket prices will still go up!

Otis

if you think about the studs showing rule, it is hard to see how a player can make a sliding tackle without it being a foul.
Yes, agree. If you try and do a sliding tackle with your foot down you are more likely to injury yourself with your studs getting stuck in the turf.

I think that Cahill one should have been a yellow. He went to tackle fairly, but overstretched and his studs caught the player. No malicious intent there though I don't think.

The law has to be appropriated sensibly.

SkyblueBazza

The good thing in that is that fans would probably lose the will to verbally/physically abuse each other & the atmosphere might become less threatening for the wider population

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I largely agree with you - apart from that you seem to think it ok to waste time in the last 10mins. People pay to watch football not time wasting. If the ball is in play & they choose to piss about in the corner that is acceptable...the onus is on the team needing the ball to get it off them. But to deploy deliberate spoiling tactics when they have a throw-in by passing it from one to another then another to take the throw, or deliberately block the opposition from getting on with things - that should be punished.

The refs appear unwilling or incapable of dealing with it by applying the current rules. So something should change. Just reducing the amount of time of each half is the same as the trains saying that only 1% of trains are late after increasing the journey time by 15mins just to reduce the percentage from 5%.

The one thing guaranteed is that ticket prices will still go up!

You've misread me, I'm saying refs only seem to think time wasting starts in the last 10 mins only then players are given the hurry up.

Users who are viewing this thread