Time wasting (1 Viewer)

Adge

Some of the comments on here are laughable and people think that they know the laws of association football when in truth only referees do. I was also amazed when a player who I was with (who played for a championship team) hadn't even picked up or read a copy of the laws of the game. Then these players think that is acceptable to criticise the referees that do know them! Priceless :emoji_laughing:

SkyblueBazza

Some of the comments on here are laughable and people think that they know the laws of association football when in truth only referees do. I was also amazed when a player who I was with (who played for a championship team) hadn't even picked up or read a copy of the laws of the game. Then these players think that is acceptable to criticise the referees that do know them! Priceless :emoji_laughing:
So when it comes to time wasting, or in some instances where teams gain advantage, why do refs choose not to apply the rules???

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
So when it comes to time wasting, or in some instances where teams gain advantage, why do refs choose not to apply the rules???

They don't bother with the 5 or 6 second rule when a goalkeeper has the ball, unless it's been changed?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

They don't bother with the 5 or 6 second rule when a goalkeeper has the ball, unless it's been changed?

I may be wrong on this but I'm sure I heard somewhere that it'd been changed to at the refs 'discretion' which if I have got that right opens a massive can of worms!

Nick

Administrator
The FA still has it listed :)

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
  • controls the ball with the hands for more than six seconds before releasing it
  • touches the ball with the hands after:
  • releasing it and before it has touched another player
  • it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
  • receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

SkyblueBazza

Let's be honest. The refs rarely spot or simply ignore the fact that a throw in is taken 10yds further up the pitch

Otis

Let's be honest. The refs rarely spot or simply ignore the fact that a throw in is taken 10yds further up the pitch

I spot it all the time. Next home game look up at block 20 and you will see an old bloke pointing and shouting at the ref that the throw's being taken from the wrong place throughout the match.

Nick

Administrator
I spot it all the time. Next home game look up at block 20 and you will see an old bloke pointing and shouting at the ref that the throw's being taken from the wrong place throughout the match.

Apart from when it's us. :)

Otis

Apart from when it's us. :)
Yeah, well then I still point, but reduce my shouting to a whisper.

Still annoys me when we do it, cos it's the bloody rules and I think if we do it and then the opposition do it and score a goal as a result of it we'd all go yampy and we wouldn't really have a case!!

Adge

Apply the laws you mean? No rules in football only laws. They do apply it but a warning is given first ie-"let's get on with it keeper" or if it's a throw in "let's get going player".
This usually has the desired effect but some will still try and delay and that when the card comes out as they have been warned. Similarly-why do we think there is "time added on for stoppages" at the end of the game?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

giphy.gif

SkyblueBazza

Apply the laws you mean? No rules in football only laws. They do apply it but a warning is given first ie-"let's get on with it keeper" or if it's a throw in "let's get going player".
This usually has the desired effect but some will still try and delay and that when the card comes out as they have been warned. Similarly-why do we think there is "time added on for stoppages" at the end of the game?
Yes so keen to get the game moving they miss the steal of 10yds!

Adge

No Nick, you’re not Adge so you don’t know the rules. They’re secret and only refs know them.
No rules-just laws! They're not secret and anyone can view them but it is the Refs that will apply them correctly.:happy:

skybluegod

No rules-just laws! They're not secret and anyone can view them but it is the Refs that will apply them correctly.:happy:

Stop trying to act smarter than you are. There are rules, the ref follows the law of the games, but then also have to implement the rules of the competetion. Even if you do a quick google search I'm sure you will find. Laws of the games and FA rules. Referees job to inforce the rules of the specific competition as well

Adge

Stop trying to act smarter than you are. There are rules, the ref follows the law of the games, but then also have to implement the rules of the competetion. Even if you do a quick google search I'm sure you will find. Laws of the games and FA rules. Referees job to inforce the rules of the specific competition as well
Smarter than I am? People were referring to the Laws of the game as "rules" and are getting confused. You have quite rightly pointed out that there are "competition rules" which have to be followed for example the Premier League will have different competition rules to the FA cup and the most obvious difference being that with an FA cup fixture there will be extra time and kicks from the penalty mark etc to decide a winner on the day. These competition "rules" have to be carried out under the "Laws of the game". Similarly the EFL will have different "competition rules" culminating in the 3rd 4th 5th and 6 th placed teams will go into a playoff etc.

SkyblueBazza

Smarter than I am? People were referring to the Laws of the game as "rules" and are getting confused. You have quite rightly pointed out that there are "competition rules" which have to be followed for example the Premier League will have different competition rules to the FA cup and the most obvious difference being that with an FA cup fixture there will be extra time and kicks from the penalty mark etc to decide a winner on the day. These competition "rules" have to be carried out under the "Laws of the game". Similarly the EFL will have different "competition rules" culminating in the 3rd 4th 5th and 6 th placed teams will go into a playoff etc.
Which is all irrelevant to time-wasting which is what the thread is about.

The suggestion to change the LAW of the game to play for 30mins is not the answer. Referees have had many many years of opportunity to enforce the laws & rules of the game to ensure that football is played to entertain viewing audiences for as much of the 90 mins as possible. If we have only a best chance of 2/3 of that 90 mins entertainment I would suggest they have failed!

Users who are viewing this thread