Trust Statement About Academy (1 Viewer)

ashbyjan

Statement On Trust website re latest Academy developments - only a few months left to resolve this - if you were a parent would you be sending your budding footballer to an academy that appears to have no home after end of season? Needs sorting asap. www.skybluetrust.co.uk

The Sky Blue Trust welcomes the news that Coventry City are willing to discuss, without any apparent preconditions, the future of the Club’s Academy with Coventry Sports Foundation, who run the Alan Higgs Centre, and Wasps, who are planning to build an indoor pitch at the centre.

The groundwork the Trust did, by holding discussions with the Football League and both of the potential facilities suppliers, showed that the survival of the Academy, predominately based at the Higgs, is possible but it needs all parties to work together on a collaborative plan, that can then be presented to the football authorities for approval. It may involve the inclusion of some facilities from other suppliers, such as Warwick University, who have indicated to the Trust they would be willing to discuss these with the Club but the bulk of the Academy could stay at its present site.

It now needs the Club to take the lead on this matter and get the matter resolved as soon as possible.

The involvement of Sport England, whilst welcome, is not strictly necessary, as their role is to oversee community sport in general and not really the preservation of a professional football club’s elite academy. However, if it helps get things resolved in a more timely fashion, we welcome it.

What is less welcome is the current stated attitude of Coventry City Council. Whilst their ire with the Club’s owners, SISU, over continuing costly and pointless legal wrangling is understandable, the demands for payment for costs that have not been awarded as a precondition of any co-operation are best described as unhelpful. At a time when the Trust is striving to bring all parties together to save the Academy, this attitude is unnecessary and a distraction at this delicate yet vital juncture.

The Council’s anger with the Club’s current owners is justifiable. However, one day these owners, like any owners, will move on. The Trust’s concern is, once this happens, what will be the state of the club they leave behind? The Academy is vital for this club’s survival, no matter who the owners are and it needs saving now, otherwise it could be lost forever. Those that have it in their power to facilitate this survival must co-operate and do so.

The Council is not directly involved in this process and therefore needs to stop unwelcome commentary until this matter is resolved for the good of the football club’s future survival and, thereby, for the good of its supporters.

Nick

Administrator
Good to see some anger in different directions.

Not sure about the Trust England bit, surely it's better to get as many people in the talks as possible.

Fair play for having a dig at the council though! :) Might be worth asking how they think they can help if the Ransom is paid ;)

Skyblueweeman

The trust often gets a bashing....but hats off on this.

Mainly for publicly calling out CCC. Might not help in getting all parties round the table but a good statement in my eyes.

Ian1779

A reasoned statement which is pertinent and calls on all the main protagonists to negotiate.

italiahorse

Needs the club to start this process and I must have missed where they said there are no preconditions.
They need to present a list of requirements that will keep the academy status.
The other parties need to see what they can offer and at what cost and availability.
Any shortcomings need to be pursued with the FA for any flexibility as well as seeing if they can be provided them elsewhere. There may even be advantages of having several pitches around Coventry and Warwickshire.
I'm not that close to it but I would say the staffing/coaching infrastructure is already in place.
I think that with all parties talking it will be soon sorted.
As previously quoted the youngsters will move elsewhere if it drags on.

Nick

Administrator
Needs the club to start this process and I must have missed where they said there are no preconditions.
They need to present a list of requirements that will keep the academy status.
The other parties need to see what they can offer and at what cost and availability.
Any shortcomings need to be pursued with the FA for any flexibility as well as seeing if they can be provided them elsewhere. There may even be advantages of having several pitches around Coventry and Warwickshire.
I'm not that close to it but I would say the staffing/coaching infrastructure is already in place.
I think that with all parties talking it will be soon sorted.
As previously quoted the youngsters will move elsewhere if it drags on.
They have given they information haven't they? To sport England also?

italiahorse

They have given they information haven't they? To sport England also?

We don't want a piece of paper passing backwards and forward.
It needs to be a minuted meeting with all parties present, daily if necessary. There are going to be shortcomings so we don't want any delays waiting for return of paperwork.
Get OSB58 to chair it, or someone with a bit of organisation in them.

chiefdave

That's more like it. Personally I think the involvement of Sport England would be a big plus. Would bring someone neutral to the table, even if not specifically as a mediator they would naturally fall into that role. Also useful as they have requested the same information as the club, that's information that could easily be supplied and should be on the table so maybe their involvement could get that moving.

Interesting that you say the bulk of the academies requirements could still be fulfilled by Higgs. Can you drill down on that? Given Wasps plans and CCC's plans for the pool there doesn't seem to be much left for anyone else!

Users who are viewing this thread