Turgid (1 Viewer)

Fergusons_Beard

I went today and if this is a glimpse of the rest of Slade's tenure then we are all but doomed.

One word Hoofball.

The game basically panned out like a giant game of head tennis-Chesterfield hoofed it forward-we headed it back-they headed it forward-we headed it back.

Nobody put there foot on the ball and actually looked up to see where to pass. (until our Ben came on) Just aimless and mindless twatting of the ball as high as possible.

Players obviously been told to hoof it forward early, which is great if we have a beast of a centre forward & 2 pacey fookers to get flick ons.

What we actually have is the smallest two strikers (3 if you count midget George ) we have had for many a season.

Now don't get me wrong-Tudders & Beavons did what they could up against their man mountain centre backs (who seemed to get away shoving & pushing our lot all the way through the game) but it was plainly obvious that we needed to play through them with the sort of intricate 1-2 passing & movement that we saw under Mowbray. Not pick up crumbs from hopeful up and under punts!

The trouble with loans is that there's some unwritten rule that they have to played before any other player-even if they are much better. Take Reilly today-looked like a fish out of water, didn't tackle,pass ; most of the time out of position and ambling back like he didn't give a shit. So why not play Stevenson(forget the fact that he may be going) he is clearly the most talented creative midfield we have, yet Reilly , who possesses around 1% of Bens ability on the ball, stays on for 70 mins!! Gah!

It was clearly obvious that City needed a substitution but it came way to late-you need players who are game changes on BEFORE we concede. Lamires and Stevenson should have been given 30 mins. Slade was settling for a draw rather than gambling for a win.

It was Just another shit performance from players going through the motions. Who lacked passion and belief, composure and technique, tactics and nous.

Whatever manager is in charge-I'm sick of going to games against sides, who in the past we'd have pissed all over, only to lose and be humiliated (yes it really is massively embarrassing-for supporters but not for the primadonas wearing the coveted SkyBlue).

It's going to take a massive turnaround to keep us up. Honestly don't think Slade has it in him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobo

You mean he is not the saviour? But the fans had decided he was after one game? Are you sure you are not wrong?

Grendel

I
You mean he is not the saviour? But the fans had decided he was after one game? Are you sure you are not wrong?

One things for certain - if we continued to play the same predictable sideways possession game we did under Mowbray we would be down already.

At least we have a chance of staying up playing this way. We were unlucky not to win the last two. We need a new striker yes and if he gets that right there is a chance.

Generally Midfield

I

One things for certain - if we continued to play the same predictable sideways possession game we did under Mowbray we would be down already.

At least we have a chance of staying up playing this way. We were unlucky not to win the last two. We need a new striker yes and if he gets that right there is a chance.

You're right about the last 2 but not sure if were you there today - it was every bit as bad as anything under Mowbray.

Irish Sky Blue

I

Did you see the game today? The last two league performances, Peterborough and Bolton were much better.Today's tactics were both horrible and ineffective. It will need to be a pretty good striker to make things come together if this is the way we are going to play.

Grendel

Did you see the game today? The last two league performances, Peterborough and Bolton were much better.Today's tactics were both horrible and ineffective. It will need to be a pretty good striker to make things come together if this is the way we are going to play.

No but you are going to get poor performances as it's essentially a poor team. It's one real problem though is lack of goals.

Once Stokes is fit the defence isn't too bad. I would think Jones has to be a better bet as well when fit than Lameries and Thomas on the right.

Football at this level is poor. Pace grit and determination are the main attributes needed.

Reactions: KG7

Grendel

By all accounts today is the worse we've played all season so I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion.

Hi stalker. By all accounts? Worse than Cambridge as an example?

I haven't posted for a couple of days. Missed me haven't you?

skybluetony176

Hi stalker. By all accounts? Worse than Cambridge as an example?

I haven't posted for a couple of days. Missed me haven't you?

Cambridge was a cup game. We could play them week in week out and it wouldn't effect our chances of staying up or getting relegated one jot. It was our chances of staying up playing like this that you were talking about wasn't it? Not our chances in the cup?

Grendel

Cambridge was a cup game. We could play them week in week out and it wouldn't effect our chances of staying up or getting relegated one jot. It was our chances of staying up playing like this that you were talking about wasn't it? Not our chances in the cup?

Well the poorest teams I've seen this season were Oldham and Shrewsbury. Oldham we created one chance and Oldham - the most basic and worst team I've seen by a country mile - should have beaten us and would have done other than the goalkeeper kept us in it.

As for "playing like that" it means being turgid tight at the back and basic football. With the players we have we have a very poor central midfield that has been constantly over run all season. We have strikers who don't score.

You may prefer having Andre Wright and Sordell trawling the wings and Agyei upfront. You may think that's a recipe for survival.

I don't.

Brylowes

I

Oh come on Grendel, you're just jealous someone's on the managers back before you.

Grendel

Oh come on Grendel, you're just jealous someone's on the managers back before you.

I said at the outset it's almost mission impossible for Slade. Providing the subsequent signings we make are positive it's still mission possible.
We don't score goals. That's the big problem. The rumour I heard regarding how much we blew on Jones, if true, sums Mowbray and venue up to a tee - and fisher and Anderson for letting it happen.

wingy

I said at the outset it's almost mission impossible for Slade. Providing the subsequent signings we make are positive it's still mission possible.
We don't score goals. That's the big problem. The rumour I heard regarding how much we blew on Jones, if true, sums Mowbray and venue up to a tee - and fisher and Anderson for letting it happen.
How much?

Sky Blue Harry H

Very poor today. Kept lumping it forward. bit disconcerting that we didn't seem to realise it wasn't working and come up with plan b. Their two big centre backs would have hated passes between them that our little 'uns could have stretched them with, but our midfield Rose and Reilly don't have the weapons to do that. Not sure Reilly brings much to the table (early days). i would have pushed Rose up instead of Tudgay and used Stevenson much earlier. A bad day compounded by having to stand among Wasps fans on Cov station waiting for a delayed train back to Leamington.

Brylowes

How much?
Someone mentioned on here £700.000 but that just simply cannot be true.
A, Because he's not worth it.
B, Because we wouldn't pay it even if he was.

Cov kid 55

Very poor today. Kept lumping it forward. bit disconcerting that we didn't seem to realise it wasn't working and come up with plan b. Their two big centre backs would have hated passes between them that our little 'uns could have stretched them with, but our midfield Rose and Reilly don't have the weapons to do that. Not sure Reilly brings much to the table (early days). i would have pushed Rose up instead of Tudgay and used Stevenson much earlier. A bad day compounded by having to stand among Wasps fans on Cov station waiting for a delayed train back to Leamington.

Yes, it was the worst I've seen us play for a long, long time. Can't remember the last time I saw a Cov team play so little football. We had no creativity, and hardly strung 3 passes together. The ball did spend the majority of the time I'm the air, which played into Chesterfield's hands. It was telling that Chesterfield had significantly the majority of possession. We did look stronger, and it may well be, that with new signings coming in, and RS having the time to work with the team, we will do enough to survive.

Grendel

I heard £300,000 and add on clauses. It wouldn't surprise me.

Great_Expectations

I said similar on another thread, but I do worry about RS a little and the style of football he wants to play if Rose and Reilly are his central midfield preference. Stevenson and Bigi are both more creative and technically gifted players, and while they may not be physical in stature or playing style, one alongside Rose may at least be a compromise.

I am absolutely not getting on his back as it is such early days, and I do think he is a good appointment considering our situation, but with today being panned as much as it had been, I am reminded of an opinion held by some in he football league that he is "an absolutely clueless manager ". Still, I have faith he will at least give us a fighting chance of survival.

D

Deleted member 4439

The fee being banded about at the time was 400K, though possibly guesswork based on the fact that D&R had turned down a reported 300K bid from Charlton.

Grendel

I said similar on another thread, but I do worry about RS a little and the style of football he wants to play if Rose and Reilly are his central midfield preference. Stevenson and Bigi are both more creative and technically gifted players, and while they may not be physical in stature or playing style, one alongside Rose may at least be a compromise.

I am absolutely not getting on his back as it is such early days, and I do think he is a good appointment considering our situation, but with today being panned as much as it had been, I am reminded of an opinion held by some in he football league that he is "an absolutely clueless manager ". Still, I have faith he will at least give us a fighting chance of survival.

We lost 8 games in a row with Bigi in midfield didn't we? His only gift is to the opposition.

dongonzalos

To be fair to Slade he has never bullshitted.
He said from the start it's going to be ugly horrible nasty football.
Unfortunately it's not his squad. It is a squad built to play football how in my mind it should be played on the deck.
However if Slade thinks this is now the only way to get results. Then in the short term he should be backed with this style of football.
It will all depend on his next 4 signings. They need to be a mixture of Pace and Power.

If it keeps us up great, however long term under that style of football crowds will drop further.
Also you get found out eventually.
Hopefully this is just his short term plan and he has a longer plan that involves retaining possession.

skybluedan

We all know where we are heading the same place we have been for years , it's hard because it's upon us and realistic ly we can't do shit , pure torture and in humane

Otis

Playing ugly football is fine if you are getting results.

Play ugly and lose however and expect much gnashing of teeth and disenchantment from fans.

In the past we have played well and lost and I haven't gone home too unhappy. I'm sure others have felt the same.

Play hoofball, ugly crappy stuff though and go on to lose and people very quickly start getting very, very irked.

Great_Expectations

We lost 8 games in a row with Bigi in midfield didn't we? His only gift is to the opposition.

I think even you would agree that it is unfair to blame Bigi for all 8 losses. How many other players were also involved in those 8 games? By the same logic the blame should be equally apportioned (fair play if you can actually be bothered to check).

Your hatred of Bigi blinds you from reason. You may not rate him, but surly you see that he is more of a creative and/or technical player than Rose/Reilly? For all his faults, you also know he will give 110% - he genuinely cares for the club. How many other players can we say the same about?

Sky Blue Harry H

If we get rid of Stevenson and just have 'muscle' plus Rose's threat in the air coming from central midfield, then we have to play down the flanks, where at least we have some options. Don't mind centre halves or full backs playing safety first, butwith time on the ball should be coming out via full backs wherever possible. Yesterday convinced me that Haynes should be playing further forward, plus need to get a target man for Beavon/Thomas to feed off. Agree Tudgay must (at best) be back up - also think that someone else must replace Reilly at the moment - don't think he is the answer.

davebart

It has been shown time and again that you only get something out of loanees if they are hoping to get a contract. I cannot see how you can expect a load of loanees to come in and fight for you, which is what you need.

It is all very well Slade reverting to muscle and hoof but when he has a squad of lads who can't knock the skin off a rice pudding they are going to have to spend an awful lot of time in the gym.

Users who are viewing this thread