U18/U21 Development Thread (9 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Coventry City Under-21s recorded an impressive victory over Aston Villa in a behind-closed-doors friendly.

The Sky Blues dominated the contest and their efforts were rewarded with 10 minutes remaining when Devon Kelly-Evans' shot was deflected in from the edge of the area.

John Fleck started the game against the Villians and he should have put the Sky Blues ahead five minutes in when he capitalised on a defensive error but the keeper saved his low shot.

Ten minutes later, striker Shaun Miller burst past two defenders and his shot was deflected wide before George Thomas had a low effort saved in the 23rd minute.

A minute later, Fleck's through-ball found Miller but his shot was saved at point-blank range as Aston Villa keeper Benjamin Siergrist continued to deny the Sky Blues.

Villa had one chance in the first half but Michael Drennan put his 25-yard free-kick against the post and Jake Richards saved the rebound in the 27th minute.

After the break, Thomas continued to create problems for Villa when he turned past two Villa defenders to set up Miller, but he put his low shot wide in the 46th minute.

John Fleck and Shaun Miller completed 60 minutes for Under-21s ahead of City's first game of the season against Bradford City.

Jordan Shipley and Devon Kelly-Evans came on for City and it was Shipley who should have put City ahead in the 73rd minute when he burst through from his own half but he put his shot against the post.

It looked as though City were going to be kept to a draw until Kelly-Evans popped up in the 80th minute. The impressive Thomas ran at the defence and went down on the edge of the area but the referee played advantage for Kelly-Evans to score the winner.

City keeper Jake Richards made some brilliant saves in the final stages to keep Villa at bay as the Under-21s beat City's Midlands rivals.

RoboCCFC90

Coventry City Under-21s recorded an impressive victory over Aston Villa in a behind-closed-doors friendly.

The Sky Blues dominated the contest and their efforts were rewarded with 10 minutes remaining when Devon Kelly-Evans' shot was deflected in from the edge of the area.

John Fleck started the game against the Villians and he should have put the Sky Blues ahead five minutes in when he capitalised on a defensive error but the keeper saved his low shot.

Ten minutes later, striker Shaun Miller burst past two defenders and his shot was deflected wide before George Thomas had a low effort saved in the 23rd minute.

A minute later, Fleck's through-ball found Miller but his shot was saved at point-blank range as Aston Villa keeper Benjamin Siergrist continued to deny the Sky Blues.

Villa had one chance in the first half but Michael Drennan put his 25-yard free-kick against the post and Jake Richards saved the rebound in the 27th minute.

After the break, Thomas continued to create problems for Villa when he turned past two Villa defenders to set up Miller, but he put his low shot wide in the 46th minute.

John Fleck and Shaun Miller completed 60 minutes for Under-21s ahead of City's first game of the season against Bradford City.

Jordan Shipley and Devon Kelly-Evans came on for City and it was Shipley who should have put City ahead in the 73rd minute when he burst through from his own half but he put his shot against the post.

It looked as though City were going to be kept to a draw until Kelly-Evans popped up in the 80th minute. The impressive Thomas ran at the defence and went down on the edge of the area but the referee played advantage for Kelly-Evans to score the winner.

City keeper Jake Richards made some brilliant saves in the final stages to keep Villa at bay as the Under-21s beat City's Midlands rivals.

That was such a good Birthday present to see that the U21's had smashed the Villa, bragging rights at work for however long it's lasts!

SlowerThanPlatt

Lawton, who used to have a season ticket in the West End Terrace at Highfield Road as a child, captained the side to victory with a solid defensive performance and he was delighted with the team's performance.

The 18-year old said: "I'm delighted with the team performance and as a Coventry City supporter, nothing beats beating the Villa, even if it is a friendly match.

"As soon as we started pressing higher up the pitch, we came into our own. They're a very good side but we deserved the win today. We should have been 3-0 up by half-time but we kept going in the second half and got our reward.

"I'm loving my time at the club at the moment. I'm playing out of position in defence but I'll play whether I'm put and just do my best there to prove to the management staff I've got what it takes.

"I played right and left wing when we were out in Italy so it shows I can do a job wherever I play but it would be nice to break into my own position in midfield as well."

The Coventry-born Academy graduate has featured heavily over the 2014/15 pre-season, playing 90 minutes during the impressive 2-1 win over Bristol Rovers on Friday night.

Lawton hopes his form in pre-season will help him break into the first-team and he reserved special praise for goalkeeper Jake Richards and midfielder Devon Kelly-Evans for their performances against the Villa.

He added: "I'd like to get as many games as I can to be honest. I'm not really one to enjoy sitting on the bench, even if it is for the first-team.

"I'm working hard every day and working hard on my weaknesses to make sure I can break into the first-team. It would be a dream for me to play in the first-team so I'm going to go all-out to make sure I do it.

"I was really impressed with Jake Richards. He didn't put a foot wrong all game and some of the saves he produced were outstanding. He works hard so hard on and off the pitch. He is always helping out around the place and doing jobs which shows his professional approach to the game.

"It was great to see Devon get the goal. He is a great supporter of the club as well and after his performance on Saturday, I tweeted him after the game to congratulate him.

"It seemed all the Coventry fans who were there were impressed with him as well so he now has to keep his head down and work hard for the rest of the season."

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

U18's beat Strachan Football Foundation 4-2. Goals from Devon Kelly Evans, Ben Stevenson, Jordan Shipley and Luke Bromley.

Hobo

Good luck to them.

AndyM

The U18s start with a 3-0 win at Colchester. Goals scored by George Thomas, Cian Harries and Jordan Shipley.

AndyM

U18 Professional Development League 2 results.

135b0398f428167443fd23d1d6c6b79d.jpg

Follow @ccfc_youth on Twitter.
http://www.twitter.com/ccfc_youth

PVA

Is James Maddison going to play much for the 18s this season or will first team commitments get in the way?

With the signing of Jackson and potentially one more striker it looks as though Maddison will not be needed in the 1st team as much as I initially thought he might. He looks really impressive from what I've seen of him.

AndyM

I guess only SP can really answer that. With the first team having 4 forwards now I would have thought his game time will be mostly limited to the U18s and U21s. He played in the U18s 2-1 win over Crewe on Saturday and in the U21s 2-2 draw with Sheffield United on Monday.

Is James Maddison going to play much for the 18s this season or will first team commitments get in the way?

With the signing of Jackson and potentially one more striker it looks as though Maddison will not be needed in the 1st team as much as I initially thought he might. He looks really impressive from what I've seen of him.

shmmeee

We. Are. Top of the league. Say we are top of the league!

So, is there promotion if it's League 2?

shmmeee

how do we beat bristol c 6-0 when they are in a different division per above

It's North and South leagues. You play those in your division twice and those in the other once apparently (check Andy's link)

The league is split regionally into north and south divisions, with each team facing opponents in their own region twice both home and away and opponents in the other region once. The sides finishing in the top two positions in both regions at the end of the season will progress to a knockout stage to determine the overall league champion.

Users who are viewing this thread