U18/U21 Development Thread (8 Viewers)

Joy Division

With Stevenson in the side now as well this could give him a fresh start. They have played in the same academy teams for about 10 years.

SlowerThanPlatt

Nicky Eaden:

Nicky Eaden believes his Under-23 side should have continued their winning form as they were held to draw against Colchester.

George Thomas scored twice for the home side, but City’s young charges were pegged back on both occasions, conceding a late equaliser in the 89th minute.

The Sky Blues slipped to second in the table on goal difference after the draw, and Eaden admits it was a missed opportunity. He said: “I feel we should have won the game today. I don’t think we were at the standard we have set in previous weeks.

“Having said that we still had plenty of chances to come away with the three points, but it was a very stop-start kind of performance and that was disappointing.

“It happens at all levels where for one reason or another you have an off day, but I said to them as younger players they’ve really got to drive themselves on.”

City’s Development side conceded within moments of going in front on two separate occasions, and Eaden admitted his side have to be more resilient. He said: “When the performance isn’t always there you have to be a little more resilient than we were today.

“We worked hard to take lead twice today and quickly gave them a route back into the game. When you’ve earned the lead you have to protect it better than we did,”

He added: “It should be easier to defend a lead than have to chase the game in search of an equaliser. It should mean you do less running and make the opposition work but unfortunately we couldn’t do that."

Ivor Lawton:

Midfielder Ivor Lawton was back in action for City's Development side yesterday as he played his first competitive game for over a year.

The 21-year old suffered severe knee ligament damage in an U23s tie with Crystal Palace last season, and spent the remainder of the campaign on the treatment table.

Having returned to fitness yesterday, Lawton was full of admiration for the City medical team who have nursed him through the past 12 months.

He said: “It's been a long 12 months to be honest, but I'm just buzzing to be back on the pitch. A special thank you goes to the physio team here, Dave, Jacob and Pauline.

“I thought I did okay today, I took it a little easy in certain aspects because I got advised to ease back into it rather than do anything stupid.

“I'm feeling really good in training, I've been with the first-team for the previous four weeks now just waiting for the opportunity to get out there. Hopefully I can improve as I get more game time in the coming weeks.”

The tough tackling midfielder, whose playing idol is Roy Keane, is a welcome addition to the midfield options for City with Chris McCann and Vladimir Gadzhev both sidelined.

Lawton added: “It is incredibly hard at times to stay motivated and positive, especially on the mental side because it's a really tough time and you can't alter or change the healing process.

“It's a horrible injury to have, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I've been looking forward to today like a little kid at Christmas, I just couldn't wait to play!”

“I've put the work in to prepare myself for this moment, and hopefully I'll continue to get stronger and push towards the first-team.”

shmmeee

I hope Lawton turns out to be awesome. Then my dream of an all academy team gets a little closer with him, Stevenson and Bigi in the middle.

Just need Jordan Ponticelli to get some human growth hormone now.

SlowerThanPlatt

It's the first round of the FA Youth Cup tonight for our U18s as they travel to Nottingham to take on Dunkirk (7:30pm). This is the first time Dunkirk have ever qualified for the First Round and they have already claimed a few scalps in beating Ilkeston, Alfreton and Lincoln City so it won't be easy for our young players, especially as they will have to adjust to the pitch and maybe a different style of play then they are usually used to.

Thoughts from the Dunkirk camp:

dunkirkfc.jpg

SlowerThanPlatt

Richard Stevens:

After a remarkable campaign last term, in which City’s young charges narrowly fell to Premier League side Arsenal on penalties, FA Youth Cup action makes a return this evening!

The Sky Blues U18s face Nottingham based Dunkirk FC in the first round, with a potential R2 tie against League Two outfit Mansfield Town, should City progress.

Rich Stevens said: “We had a really good run in the competition last season which ended at the Ricoh, so it’s great for it to be returning.

“It is the one competition at this level you look at the calendar and eagerly anticipate the draw. The boys really enjoyed last season, but it’s a new set of lads now and their turn to create something similar.

“Every game in the Youth Cup brings its different challenges, and we’re not taking it for granted. We’ll approach it like any other because they will pose a tough challenge tonight.”

Last year's competition captured the hearts of Coventarians, with over 1,000 locals turning out at the Ricoh to watch the U18s heroic comeback against Arsenal in the fifth round.

The Sky Blues lost out in the consequent penalty shootout, but demonstrated a great deal of strength and resolve to hold their own against one of Europe's most highly thought of Academy setups.

“For the First Years it will be the first time they’ve played in a game where there will be an ultimate outcome at the end of it, and there will be a few of them in the starting line-up," Rich added.

“That’s why the competition is so important to us because you get to see a different type of mentality and the pressure that comes along with the tie."

Two players likely to feature are 18-year old pairing Jordan Ponticelli and Tom Bayliss. Both have had exposure to the U23s side of late, with Bayliss providing the assist for a George Thomas goal last week.

“Both Jordan and Tom have done very well so far this season," Rich continued.

"Jordan came in at the beginning and has been scoring plenty of goals, and Tom has been a real presence in midfield for us.

“The real positive this season is the U23 squad is very strong, so you have to earn the right to progress through the ranks!"

SlowerThanPlatt

U18s lose 3-2 to Dunkirk and exit the FA Youth Cup at the first hurdle. I know they're only young players still but that's a very, very poor result. If some of these players want to earn professional contracts here (or at any other professional club) then they need to start becoming more consistent and able to deal with and adjust to different pitch conditions and different styles of play.

Will post some other thoughts tomorrow

SlowerThanPlatt

Darragh Leahy has gone to Nuneaton on loan for a month. Will be fine at that level and hopefully he can come back here a more experienced player.

He should make his debut tomorrow in Nuneaton's game at Chorley

SlowerThanPlatt

On last night:

- Not enough goals in the team without Ponticelli. Kyle Finn's good for 10 every year from midfield but the rest don't have enough goals in them in my opinion.

- No leader in the team like last year when we had Darragh Leahy and Callum Maycock . Bayliss, good player, but not a captain or natural leader for me.

- Possible question mark about Jason Farndon too. He has a preference for flair, or luxury players if you like, whereas the previous coaches Lee Carsley/Darren Murray preferred a more solid approach and some of the players in the team at the moment wouldn't have survived in their teams I don't think - whereas Ivor Lawton wouldn't fit into Farndon's team but was a big part of Murray's.

- Out of the Youth Cup at this stage is very poor and quite embarrassing for all concerned but *at least* we can concentrate on what hopefully will be a successful league campaign now with us currently 2nd in our league

SlowerThanPlatt

Darragh Leahy to Nuneaton:

Sky Blues defender Darragh Leahy will be loaned out to National League North side Nuneaton Town until December 1st 2016.

The Republic of Ireland youth international has been a regular for City's Development side this season and featured for his national side during their recent 5-0 win against Gibraltar, scoring twice.

The 18-year old follows in the footsteps of Lee Burge, Ivor Lawton and Reice Charles-Cook in making temporary moves to Liberty Way.

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...uth-loan-coventry-city-nuneaton.-3398771.aspx

Last edited:

shelby76

Think jason farndon is a fantastic
On last night:

- Not enough goals in the team without Ponticelli. Kyle Finn's good for 10 every year from midfield but the rest don't have enough goals in them in my opinion.

- No leader in the team like last year when we had Darragh Leahy and Callum Maycock . Bayliss, good player, but not a captain or natural leader for me.

- Possible question mark about Jason Farndon too. He has a preference for flair, or luxury players if you like, whereas the previous coaches Lee Carsley/Darren Murray preferred a more solid approach and some of the players in the team at the moment wouldn't have survived in their teams I don't think - whereas Ivor Lawton wouldn't fit into Farndon's team but was a big part of Murray's.

- Out of the Youth Cup at this stage is very poor and quite embarrassing for all concerned but *at least* we can concentrate on what hopefully will be a successful league campaign now with us currently 2nd in our league
Dont get what you mean by question mark over jason farndon? different coaches have different preferences! only a few posts back people were saying this team could possibly do better than last season or just as well, they lost buzz gone move on people, think they can bounce back like 23's did after charlton fiasco and win there league, good luck to them.

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

After a lot of anticipation, it looks like Jack McBean wil make his first team bow tomorrow as he's travelled with the team to Morecambe along with Cian Harries, Callum Maycock and a few others of the U23s team

Last edited:

shmmeee

Hope we see a couple tomorrow. McBean and Harries at least. I'd like to see Thomas and one or both of the DKEs at some point as well. These are the sort of games they should be able to step into to give people a rest before the Xmas run.

NorthernWisdom

These are the sort of games they should be able to step into to give people a rest before the Xmas run.
Hmm I disagree.

I think we really need a run in the cup as far as we can get. Confidence, good feeling... imagine showing the other sports clubs in the city what a proper crowd looks like if wre drew Man Utd at home... all that kind of schizzle.

A defeat to Morcambe just increases the stench around the place.

shmmeee

Hmm I disagree.

I think we really need a run in the cup as far as we can get. Confidence, good feeling... imagine showing the other sports clubs in the city what a proper crowd looks like if wre drew Man Utd at home... all that kind of schizzle.

A defeat to Morcambe just increases the stench around the place.

People say that, but firstly, it's a hell of a gamble. We are just as likely to go out next round to someone in L1 as get a trip to Man Utd. Secondly, we saw last season what happens when you push your first team into every game when they're mostly young lads.

I think Harries, Thomas, DKE, Stevenson, Willis, McBean are good enough, they've all had runs in the first team, bar McBean who has proven himself at U23s. Isnt' that what U23 football is for? If they're not there to be able to step into the team, why have we got them on the books?

SlowerThanPlatt

Academy graduate number 12 involved with the first team this season and a well deserved one for Callum Maycock who's been a vital part of Nicky Eaden's U23s team:

29 players have made appearances this season with 12 being academy graduates (42%), clear pathway to the first team for any young player.

SlowerThanPlatt

Talented goalkeeper Cian Tyler, who's the U16s goalkeeper and has been on the bench for the U18s a few times this season, is awarded with a scholarship a year early. Clearly very well thought of, training with the first team goalkeeping coach at 14 and receiving call ups for England and Wales at youth level.

Cian Tyler, currently in Year 10, has recently been offered his first full-time contract at Coventry City with the confirmation of a scholarship contract commencing when he leaves school.

These Premier League approved contracts run post GCSE for two years 2018-20, thus ensuring that Cian will be at Coventry City at least until age 18.

Rich Stevens, the Coventry City Academy manager said:

“This is a magnificent achievement for Cian who has been at Coventry City academy since the age of 8 (2010)".

"The journey from U9 through the school boy ages is a challenging one and it is always great to see players who have been through the programme from the beginning."

"Cian has shown great commitment and dedication to get to this point. Of course the hard work starts here as growing a career and developing talent is a long term journey."

"Cian has also had recognition with both England and Wales and this is an extended part of his pathway that will give him great experience."

"We very much hope he will continue to flourish and develop his career at Coventry in the years to come.”

Mr Tedstone, Director of Sport at Warwick School commented:

“Cian is a very talented, enthusiastic and determined all round sportsman and is a member of the cricket, rugby and basketball teams at school.

"We are delighted that he has been granted this fantastic opportunity with Coventry City and I am sure he will continue to work as hard at his football as he does in the classroom and at all his other sporting activities."

"This is clearly only the first step up the ladder but we wish him a very successful future.”

Cian was both surprised and delighted in equal measure by the early offer of the contract. In particular, he is very excited to be finally having some goalkeeper training sessions with the Coventry legend Steve Ogrizivic, first team GK coach, although he freely admits that whilst enjoyable, Steve’s sessions can also be somewhat challenging.

Users who are viewing this thread