U18/U21 Development Thread

Discussion in 'Coventry City General Chat' started by AndyM, Aug 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SlowerThanPlatt

SlowerThanPlatt Well-Known Member

Full-time and the U23s lose 2-1 to Millwall. George Thomas equalizing with his 8th of the season before Millwall regained the lead. No wins in 3 now for Nicky Eaden's side after winning 7 in a row

Nick likes this.
  2. wingy

wingy Well-Known Member

Is It related to the switching of roles between 1st team and reserves
    Likewise with JF

3. SlowerThanPlatt

Yes I would imagine so and quite a lot of the team who went on that run are now part of the first team squad (Maycock, McBean, Dion Kelly-Evans) our out on loan (Leahy). Think Jack Finch might be injured too, hasn't been involved recently

wingy likes this.
  4. SlowerThanPlatt

Seems like Nuneaton are impressed with Darragh Leahy, started every game for them so far and his loan has been extended until the 7th of January (we've added a 24 hour recall clause too):

mrtrench and Otis like this.
  5. SlowerThanPlatt

Coventry City's young stars destined for the top, says James Maddison:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp.../coventry-citys-young-stars-destined-12254833

stupot07 and Otis like this.
  6. SlowerThanPlatt

He's been very good this season, according to his Twitter when he signed we offered him a professional deal too but you can't sign professional terms until you're 17. He turned 17 a few weeks ago so I believe he's now on pro terms like his U18s teammates Bayliss and Ponticelli.

Otis likes this.
  7. SlowerThanPlatt

The U18s won 2-1 away at Bristol City this morning. Kyle Finn and Ronee Hendricks with the goals for Jason Farndon's side. 8 wins and 26 points from 14 games so far

wingy, stupot07, Nick and 1 other person like this.
  8. SlowerThanPlatt

Team was:

Skuza, Hickman, Thompson, McMahon (C), Camwell, Doyle, Johnson, Stedman, Finn, Hendricks, Smith.

U16s were also victorious, winning 2-0 against the same opponents. They're having a good season too, some promising players, think they've only lost a few games.

Darragh Leahy played the full 90 minutes in Nuneaton's 4-1 win over Alfreton earlier.

Also, an U17 side will face Nuneaton U19s at Liberty Way on Monday the 12th of December. Kick-off is at 7pm and entry is £1.

Otis, wingy and Nick like this.
  9. skyblue93

skyblue93 Active Member

Friend in football that knows I support Cov told me that there are a few scouts at our U18s games the past few weeks. I think they were looking at Finn and Stedman. He works for an agency rather than a team, but it is still interesting to know that a few of the youngsters are being looked at in that capacity - as well as potentially by higher up teams.

SlowerThanPlatt likes this.
  10. SlowerThanPlatt

Both are really good players so it doesn't surprise me. Kyle has been with the club since U8s (+ Camwell and Ford) and he's always been highly rated coming through the age groups. Ponticelli might get the rave reviews for his goalscoring exploits but I think the club really like Kyle and have high hopes for him.

There's another player in our U16s who I'm sure agencies/other clubs are watching too. He played 70 mins for the U16s against last Saturday against Millwall before coming on for the U18s for the last 15 minutes and winning the penalty which Camwell scored from. He's a genuine prospect, he's only slight but he'll never need to be bigger or quicker than he is at the moment. He can change direction freakishly and I've never seen a player so technically gifted playing for our academy sides.

Still a long way to go for him but it's more about the pure joy of watching a talent like that in our academy that we have developed and are still developing.

I can't imagine we'll lose any players though. We've only lost one player to an EPPP fee and that was Sambou because he felt he deserved to be in the first team. I'd like to think we're a big enough academy to keep all of our prospects, there's a clear pathway to the first team and players get the opportunity to move up the age groups quickly providing they're good enough.

MusicDating, Otis and Nick like this.
  11. SlowerThanPlatt

Updated table after today's 2-1 win against Bristol City, the top two placed teams qualify for an end of season play-off:

image.jpeg

Otis and Nick like this.
  12. skyblue93

skyblue93 Active Member

I know you probably didn't name him on purpose, but would that be Blaine Rowe? Another name I saw recently with regards to potential England under 16s invites.

13. SlowerThanPlatt

It's Jonathan Ngandu. He's an attacking midfielder but he does play in the U16s with the player you mentioned.

I remember watching him play for the U18s against Ipswich in their first game last season and the ability on the ball and vision displayed for someone so young was one where you say, yep, keep track of him.

Here's his goal against Watford in the U18s 1-0 win over them a few weeks ago (with his supposedly weaker foot):

wingy likes this.
  14. skyblue93

skyblue93 Active Member

Oh my word. Some of the goals on his Instagram are ridiculous. A link for those who haven't seen - https://www.instagram.com/jonathan.ngandu/

Special shout out to this goal -

Let's hope he keeps on developing. No matter how bad things get with the first team, I will always be proud of the CCFC academy.

15. SlowerThanPlatt

Long way to go but he's definitely on the right path. Was included in U18 squads as an U14 before his injury. Part of the exciting and talented U16s team, quite a few already have their scholars and a couple represent England at youth level.

16. SlowerThanPlatt

The U23s are in Birmingham Senior Cup action tonight against Stratford Town (7:45pm)

Addai, Whitmore, Thompson, Ford, Camwell, Bayliss, Finn, Spence, Kelly-Evans (C), Sayoud, Smith.

U18s Jordan Thompson, Reece Ford, Chris Camwell, Tom Bayliss, Kyle Finn and Dan Smith all start with fellow U18s Konrad Skuza, Jordan Ponticelli, Jak Hickman and Ronee Hendricks on the bench.

Otis likes this.
  17. SlowerThanPlatt

Half-time at Stratford and Nicky Eaden's side are trailing 1-0

18. Nick

Nick Administrator

Out :(

19. Nick

Nick Administrator

Can we call him up?

20. fernandopartridge

fernandopartridge Well-Known Member

The ridiculous thing about Sambou (and Mowbray could and should have managed this better imo by giving him cameos in the tame run in last season), is that he would probably be getting regular football this season.

wingy and stupot07 like this.
  21. stupot07

stupot07 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with the first point but not so sure about the second.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

shelby76 likes this.
  22. I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I_Saw_Shaw_Score Well-Known Member

Has Sambou done much in youth sides at Everton?

23. SlowerThanPlatt

He's scored one goal and that was in a pre-season tournament against Celtic but he hasn't been in their squad for a while. They recently signed Dominic Calwert-Lewin from Sheffield United and have 17 forwards eligible for U23s football so maybe in hindsight Everton wasn't the best move for his career. Still time though for him but I think he left too early.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score likes this.
  24. SlowerThanPlatt

Another 90 minutes for Darragh Leahy tonight in Nuneaton's 5-1 win over FC United of Manchester, seems like he's having a benefical loan spell playing alongside experienced Coventry born defender Kelvin Langmead

Nuneaton Town reporters view on him:

image.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  25. Terry Gibson's perm

Terry Gibson's perm Well-Known Member

Seventeen forwards that was a good move must be getting splinters in his arse. From what I remember his record in the under 23 wasn't all that brilliant here.

Tranmere will be his club in a few years.

26. SlowerThanPlatt

He scored four U23s (U21s) goals last season from 17 games, 13 starts and 4 from the bench

27. SlowerThanPlatt

The U18s play their final game of the year tomorrow morning when they travel to QPR (10:30am). Meanwhile the U23s have two games left this year, a home game against Ipswich on Monday at the Alan Higgs Centre (1pm) and an away game against Cardiff on December the 19th at the Cardiff City Stadium (7pm).

28. SlowerThanPlatt

Just the 6 goals for the U18s this morning! 6-2 winners away at QPR.

wingy, Terry Gibson's perm and Nick like this.
  29. chiefdave

chiefdave Well-Known Member

Maybe we should get them to show the first team how to score.

30. Nick

Nick Administrator

Who scored?

31. SlowerThanPlatt

Jordan Ponticelli (2), Ross McMahon, Dan Smith and Jonathan Ngandu (2)

That puts us in a very strong position for a play-off place going into the new year with 29 points from 15 games

Otis, Terry Gibson's perm and Nick like this.
  32. SlowerThanPlatt

The U18s team which beat QPR 6-2 this morning:

Skuza, Hickman, McMahon (C), Ford, Eccles, Doyle, Johnson, S.Green, Stedman, Smith, Ponticelli

First year centre-back McMahon captained the U18s again over older players. U16 Ngandu started on the bench but came on and netted a brace

33. Terry Gibson's perm

Terry Gibson's perm Well-Known Member

He could be first team captain next year;).

Otis and Sky Blue Pete like this.
  34. skyblue93

skyblue93 Active Member

Been told that Arsenal and Fulham have both made bids for an as yet unnamed CCFC U16s player. Manchester United and City also interested, but Arsenal want him the most.

35. SlowerThanPlatt

Interesting. Thanks for the useful information as usual, let's see where this goes. It could be one of about 5-6 players, there's some really good talent in that team. I'm still convinced they'll all stay though despite interest, it's very rare we lose any players at schoolboy level (in comparison to other Cat 2 clubs) and that's testament to Richard Stevens and all the other academy staff who are very good at their jobs.

I know Man City are very aggressive in recruitment at schoolboy level and try to hoover up all the best talent. They recently took Liverpool's highly rated U16 goalkeeper without Premier League approval and according to a recent Guardian article them, Everton and United have considered to refuse to play City at youth level because of them swamping the game with scouts trying to take their players.

Rest of the article here for anyone interested, including how Man City how use £11,000 a year private schooling to persuade players and their families to make the move: https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/p...rganic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    wingy likes this.