U18/U21 Development Thread (6 Viewers)

shmmeee

Man City how use £11,000 a year private schooling to persuade players and their families to make the move

I'm against private schooling generally, but that's peanuts for a club and considering how important character is for young players (as well as having something to fall back on in case on career ending injury), I'm surprised more places don't do that as standard.

SlowerThanPlatt

The U18s return to action on Saturday with a home game against Ipswich (noon KO). We beat them 4-2 at their ground a few months back, Jordan Ponticelli with a hat-trick that day.

Our U18s captain Ross McMahon is apparently wanted by many Championship, Premier League and Scottish Premier League clubs. He was signed from Brentford in the summer and has been really impressive for Jason Farndon's side. I believe he has played for Scotland at youth level whilst at Brentford.

Any further information on the U16 player who Arsenal and a host of other clubs apparently want @skyblue93?

Last edited:

Winny the Bish

The U18s return to action on Saturday with a home game against Ipswich (noon KO). We beat them 4-2 at their ground a few months back, Jordan Ponticelli with a hat-trick that day.

Our U18s captain Ross McMahon is apparently wanted by many Championship, Premier League and Scottish Premier League clubs. He was signed from Brentford in the summer and has been really impressive for Jason Farndon's side. I believe he has played for Scotland at youth level whilst at Brentford.

Any further information on the U16 player who Arsenal and a host of other clubs apparently want @skyblue93?

Haven't heard anything else since then unfortunately. Interesting about McMahon, if true. He hasn't been to any Scotland camps while at Coventry and hasn't stood out massively like say a Maddison did in the U18s.

SlowerThanPlatt

Goals 6 & 7 of the campaign for Kyle Finn was enough to make it 10 wins from 16 games for the U18s with a 2-0 win over Ipswich on Saturday

The U23s are away at Watford tomorrow (1pm). Possibly some game time for Nathan Clarke and Kevin Foley considering they're cup tied for Tuesday

Nick

Administrator
Goals 6 & 7 of the campaign for Kyle Finn was enough to make it 10 wins from 16 games for the U18s with a 2-0 win over Ipswich on Saturday

The U23s are away at Watford tomorrow (1pm). Possibly some game time for Nathan Clarke and Kevin Foley considering they're cup tied for Tuesday

Would be good to get them in there.

Will be interesting to see if Harries is there too.

rexo87

youthful side for 23's today

addai
Whitmore Ford Thompson Camwell
Dev KE Maycock Shipley Finn
Sayoud Ponticelli

Also Sam Ricketts is in charge of the team today

SlowerThanPlatt

youthful side for 23's today

addai
Whitmore Ford Thompson Camwell
Dev KE Maycock Shipley Finn
Sayoud Ponticelli

Also Sam Ricketts is in charge of the team today

That's 11 U18s in the squad of 16. First year scholar Billy Stedman is on the bench too

Winny the Bish

Interesting that they've used such a young squad. No Kelly-Evans, Lawton, Finch, Jones, Lameiras, RCC, Harries or Spence.

Looks like Slade may well be rotating the squad for the Checkatrade. Either that or they just need all the bodies they can get at training.

SkyBlueJord

Interesting that they've used such a young squad. No Kelly-Evans, Lawton, Finch, Jones, Lameiras, RCC, Harries or Spence.

Looks like Slade may well be rotating the squad for the Checkatrade. Either that or they just need all the bodies they can get at training.

Slade might be seeing this as an opportunity to give some of the U18's some experience within the U23's.

SlowerThanPlatt

full time 1-1 good result for in effect was our under 18 side with a few 19 year olds against a premier league u23 side. Goes to show how good our 18's are. Ford and Bayliss look real talents to me

Indeed, valuable experience for them. Thanks for the updates.

On another note, does anyone know what role Sam Ricketts has at the club now he's retired from plajing? He was warming up the defenders pre-match against Bolton but managed the U23s today.

chiefdave

On another note, does anyone know what role Sam Ricketts has at the club now he's retired from plajing? He was warming up the defenders pre-match against Bolton but managed the U23s today.
Guessing he fancies a move into coaching. The question is are we paying him or not? If he's doing it to get a bit of experience and its not costing us then great, haven't heard anything other than him being a positive influence. If its costing us for him to learn a new job thats probably money better spent elsewhere.

Nick

Administrator
Indeed, valuable experience for them. Thanks for the updates.

Yeah I noticed he was doing the drills with the defenders so can only assume he is going that. I think he still gets called "Club Captain" too!

better days

Tony Mowbray said the plan was for Sam to develop into a coaching role. Since his retirement from playing this seems to be happening. A popular guy with the players who has great experience to pass on especially to the younger guys

SlowerThanPlatt

To think Elliot and Hoffman wanted to disband it

To be fair, the academy was in a right state at that time. I think in that season only one academy player was deemed worthy enough of a professional contract, so the investment into the academy was rightly questioned if it wasn't producing good enough players

SlowerThanPlatt

Any updates on Sayoud? Coming up to a year since he signed for us, has he made much progress?

He started off very well but hasn't managed to keep them performances up, he has often been dropped from an attacking position to a wing-back position too. I think if there was interest in him they'd try and get him out on loan so he can play in his preferred position more

shelby76

He started off very well but hasn't managed to keep them performances up, he has often been dropped from an attacking position to a wing-back position too. I think if there was interest in him they'd try and get him out on loan so he can play in his preferred position more
EH.. wasn't that system being deployed by the gaffer at the time always thought he looked quite dynamic?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread