United or Real? (1 Viewer)

Real

I'd love to know what Gibson and Cole's challenges have to do with Nani's challenge? Nothing. They were rescinded, and if the Nani red card is wrong then his will be too surely?

While we are bringing up challenges from games that have nothing to do with tonight, do you remember the Johnny Evans/Jonjo Shelvey challenge? Shelvey sent off, Evans not. I'm still wondering why when both challenges were worthy of a yellow. Can you shed any light on it for me?

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'd love to know what Gibson and Cole's challenges have to do with Nani's challenge? Nothing. They were rescinded, and if the Nani red card is wrong then his will be too surely?

While we are bringing up challenges from games that have nothing to do with tonight, do you remember the Johnny Evans/Jonjo Shelvey challenge? Shelvey sent off, Evans not. I'm still wondering why when both challenges were worthy of a yellow. Can you shed any light on it for me?
Errrmmm....well I'm mentioning them because they were of a similar nature to Nani's and they were proven to be incorrect by an independent FA panel, have you looked at the video of Cole's sending off from earlier?

I believe you can't appeal a red card in a Uefa champions league game unless it was mistaken identity otherwise yes it would be rescinded

Real

I haven't looked at any of the videos posted no. But just because they were rescinded, it doesn't mean Nani's would be, even if an appeal was allowed. One thing is for certain, there appears to be quite a few closet Reds on this CCFC forum.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I haven't looked at any of the videos posted no. But just because they were rescinded, it doesn't mean Nani's would be, even if an appeal was allowed. One thing is for certain, there appears to be quite a few closet Reds on this CCFC forum.
I just call each incident as I see it with no bias, I've taken time to answer and respond to your points (bout Rafael etc. which I agreed was a handball) yet you can't take the time to even recognise the points I made about two very similar incidents being rescinded. Well I guess it just shows how stubborn and a waste of time you are.

Otis

Bullshit, since when has a high foot been a red card?

He was trying to control a high ball that was coming over his shoulder, should we send off every player for trying to take down a high ball over his shoulder because there could have been a player in his way.

Roy Keane was talking nonsense.

If you are aware of other players around you and you raise your foot then that is dangerous play.

If a player as you say brings a ball down with his foot when he is unaware that a player is in his way then we might as well have every raised foot as dangerous play and ban all bicycle kicks in the penalty area.

Real

I just call each incident as I see it with no bias, I've taken time to answer and respond to your points (bout Rafael etc. which I agreed was a handball) yet you can't take the time to even recognise the points I made about two very similar incidents being rescinded. Well I guess it just shows how stubborn and a waste of time you are.

And also right about the Nani red card for dangerous play. ;-)

Otis

The English side with the Scottish manager, who had a Welsh player making his 1000th appearance in front of a Spanish keeper, a Serbian defender and a Dutch forward, owned by Americans you mean?

No, the English side that contained Carrick, Rooney, Welbeck, Ferdinand, Cleverely and Ashley Young, the SIX English players.

That English side I mean.

Real

No, the English side that contained Carrick, Rooney, Welbeck, Ferdinand, Cleverely and Ashley Young, the SIX English players.

That English side I mean.

Well my original comment was only meant tongue in cheek, but one thing I've learnt on this thread is to not make any anti-Manchester United comments, or dare to think the referee made the correct call for a dangerously high tackle. :rolleyes:

Otis

I can't stand Man U. Really can't and always want Man City to stuff them in the Manchester derby and I cannot stand Man City either.

Do disagree with the red card though.

I have seen players go for overhead kicks in the penalty area and connect with a defender and have a free kick given against them, but I have never, ever seen any player ever sent off for an overhead kick in the penalty area.

So what's the difference? Should every player who connects with a defender when trying an overhead kick be sent off?

Maybe we should just ban all over head kicks.

:(

Real

No, we should ban studs up challenges, especially when the player appears to kick out as he connects with the opposition player.

Otis

Totally disagree that he kicked out.

For me, no intent whatsoever and therefore a yellow card and certainly not red.

Or maybe we should also send off every goalkeeper when he punches and catches an opposing player in the face or head? Punching a player is surely dangerous play and endangering a player's safety?

We go down the route of the ref's decision last night and football is going to be an entirely different game. :(

Sky Blue Pete

Think I am with the ex players on the tv. Definite dangerous play but not intentional. Certainly reasonable for a red to be given but most would give yellow. Real player made a meal of it which assisted the ref in doing what he did. Fabulous modric goal

Otis

A case could be made for a red, but common sense dictates that this surely should have been a yellow. Keane was wrong and the other pundits correct.

Common sense was needed. No intent at all and that should have been in the ref's thinking.

Use last night as a template for the future and no player is going to go for any ball above knee height with his foot just in case there is a player around him and he accidentally catches him.

Last edited:

Covstu

it was a quick decision to look at but he did have time to make the right decision whilst the player was being treated. Still think it was the wrong decision and it cost utd the game.

Thought Giggs was superb last night, he just keeps going.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Use last night as a template for the future and no player is going to go for any ball above knee height with his foot just in case there is a player around him and he accidentally catches him.
I know right, Nani had no clue the defender was there. Pretty sure Rooney hit a volley over the bar yesterday at hip height, if there was a defender challenging he could have endangered his opponent. Red card?

Players get kicked in the head every game yet I rarely see res cards given for a high foot. And the two that were, were rescinded immediately

Otis

Common sense needs to prevail otherwise these sort of things could add to the killing of the game.

If last night was a red then any keeper who goes to punch the ball but catches an opponent has to be sent off.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Regarding the Cole and Gibson challenges, at the time of the incident, the ref deemed them to be dangerous, hence the red card. The same happened in yesterday's game.

However i doubt it was at the back of a Turkish referees mind that similar incidents had happened in England only a week or two a go, and they got overturned. Hes there to make his own call. Which he did. I think it was the right call, doesn't mean everyone has to agree.

Looks like we're never going to agree CCFC on this

LastGarrison

It is certainly not a clear red card otherwise all of this debate would not be going on.

In my eyes it had no intention and was not dangerous play he was just jumping up with his leg raised to try and control the ball and didn't see the player coming in. Yellow card would have been right in my opinion but this was a European game and not a Premier League game so the players should be aware that the refs are stricter in terms of these instances. Ruined what was set up to be a very good game though.

Mourinho was very magmanimous in the press conference after as well. Certainly won't have done him any harm when United are looking to replace Ferguson.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Regarding the Cole and Gibson challenges, at the time of the incident, the ref deemed them to be dangerous, hence the red card. The same happened in yesterday's
Which was proven to be incorrect decision upon appeal, I am 100% sure if appeals were aloud in the champions league the decision would be overturned. I guess you thought Coles and Gibsons red cards should have stood then?

If you are so sure I guess I will hear you calling for more red cards in the future when the same incident happens 4/5 times in every game in England, or not....

kg82

A case could be made for a red, but common sense dictates that this surely should have been a yellow. Keane was wrong and the other pundits correct.

Common sense was needed. No intent at all and that should have been in the ref's thinking.

I may have listened to his opinion if he hadn't said it in an "I'm an absolute arrogant prick who's always right" kind of way! As it is, that's the sort of man he is, so I heard what he said but instantly dismissed it! Another thing with what he said, what the hell has it got to do with it if Nani "isn't the greatest player on the planet"?! I'm not a massive fan of Nani but that confused me!

From what I saw, Nani's foot was high but there was absolutely no intention to collide with or hurt an opponent. His head followed the ball all the way from a clearance within his side's box. Surely it is to the benefit of the team for him to try and hold it up for support? Personally, wasn't a red card for me.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Referees decision is final.

Play to the whistle.

Shut the fuck up moaning about something you can't change.

Manc scum are out. HA HA HA.

Nick

Administrator
If a player did that against one of ours how many would be shouting off, off, off?

scroobiustom

Referees decision is final.

Play to the whistle.

Shut the fuck up moaning about something you can't change.

Manc scum are out. HA HA HA.

1) In the context of 90 mins this may be true, but an appeals process can show its not always the case and the decision gets changed also (see. Arsenal vs. Sheff Utd for a non-final decision)
2) The whistle is blown when the referee makes a "decision" can't play beyond that.
3) Point of a forum is debate
4) Matter of opinion, no substance and idiotic sentiment

Of course I'm being pedantic, but you Sir are an arse...

jimmyhillsfanclub

1. Classic example of all that is wrong with todays game....trial by TV replay....stupid & counter-productive.
2. correct. as I said, play to the whistle.
3. Also correct....although it also appears to be a place for name calling doesn't it Sir?
4. I think you'll find that Man Utd. are out.....thats not an opinion....or an arse.....thats a FACT Sir!

scroobiustom

I can't even be bothered, have a nice day :)

Real

One of the best referees of all time, if not the best, Pierluigi Collina agrees it was a red card. I'll take his unbiased and professional opinion over that of the many closet reds on this site.

kg82

I hate utd. I still don't think it was a red. But it's probably time to drop the whole thing now!

elephanttears

Its a strange one, if im honest its clearly not a red card. If im face to face with a man u fan its "mate, that tackle was dangerous as fuck he nearly took his face off. Your lucky he hasn't got a five game ban you cheating bastards"

Users who are viewing this thread