Venus interview (1 Viewer)

higgs

Can anybody make sense of what Venus said is he staying in charge or will we have a new manager in before the sheff United game?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ajsccfc

He's not staying in charge, but I'd be very surprised if a new man is sorted out this week. We rarely do things without delay and hassle.

SkyBlueScottie

To be fair to Venus, he has took some stick, the results etc have been bad but he is obviously doing 2 possibly 3 jobs. I'm very glad that he's actually come out in public and say the club is in a sorry state... As fans we've been demanding somebody say that publically for years. It's now sad, it's in the open. Fair play to him. But by god we need a proper manager and some tough buggers to get us away from the relagation zone.

davebart

It is highly unlikely any manager can turn this team round. It needs a massive overhaul but SISU are not going to provide any funds to do it. They won't even fund a new manager which is why Venus can't jack it in.

The Reverend Skyblue

We need a manager who will stick Willis ,Turnbull ,Burge and the rest back in the reserves where they belong for life.
Fucking professional footballers, my arse, I've seen better Sunday league players

Colin Steins Smile

Mark Venus sounded like a totally depressed and overwhelmed individual. He is just trying to hold things together against a background where the owners are not making any decisions. It makes no business sense to not make an appointment given that they supposedly have a budget for a manager and players. Unless, SISU have cut the budget or are exiting

Astute

I would like to know what fookin planet he is on.

oucho

Having only read the transcript and not heard the audio, it does sound like a highly emotional stream of consciousness. One poster on the Southend thread mentioned that the fans have been singing personal attack chants like "shove your houses up your arse" or something, which would account for his apparently emotional state and also some defensive tone in stating he only works on football etc.

Reading the comments, they seem incoherent although maybe they made more sense when spoken. It sounds like he's frazzled and fed up with what he's doing; I would not be in the lesat bit surprised if he feels he is doing the job on sufferance and that TF has said that he has to hang on for longer because the two of them don't have the time/resource to recruit a new manager in a shorter timeframe than previously envisaged.

I feel sorry for the bloke and would never call for anyone to lose their job, but the sooner he steps aside / goes upstairs and lets someone else have a go, the better.

I'm always a "glass half full" merchant when it comes to our prospects on the pitch but even I can see us being genuine relegation candidates this time. This feels more terminal than the season when SP was sacked. FWIW I think we'll survive just about but that won't serve to paper over the cracks / gaping chasms at this club.

Paxman II

If he was my manager he would be out the door first thing in the morning. He lost his cool. He was blabbering like a baby. He allowed his emotions to get the better of him.
He announced the team are not good enough for this league. If he hadn't already lost the players he sure has now.
The club needs a Sean Dyche type character who will motivate and stand for no nonsense. My pick was Neil Warnock previously and of course he went to Cardiff.
I really struggle to think who we can persuade to come in?

steve82

If he was my manager he would be out the door first thing in the morning. He lost his cool. He was blabbering like a baby. He allowed his emotions to get the better of him.
He announced the team are not good enough for this league. If he hadn't already lost the players he sure has now.
The club needs a Sean Dyche type character who will motivate and stand for no nonsense. My pick was Neil Warnock previously and of course he went to Cardiff.
I really struggle to think who we can persuade to come in?

In my mind there is only one man that gives a glimmer of hope for survival.
Russell slade. A veteran at this level, knows how to survive and get teams playing, contacts in the game....
the quicker he's in and sees the task in hand the better before January frees and loans are hopefully signed.

Hobo

To be fair to Venus, he has took some stick, the results etc have been bad but he is obviously doing 2 possibly 3 jobs. I'm very glad that he's actually come out in public and say the club is in a sorry state... As fans we've been demanding somebody say that publically for years. It's now sad, it's in the open. Fair play to him. But by god we need a proper manager and some tough buggers to get us away from the relagation zone.

Didn't Steven Pressely say it by highlighting there was no scouting system in place. And set one up by old mates doing favours towards the end of his stint here.

Didn't Mowbrary say it by saying he felt like he was just flipping coins (taking gambles on players and team selection was replace one below par player with another). How run down Ryton had become. The fact he said he wouldn't be looking for a pay off the club needed the money. Say what you like about TM, but he admitted the situation had defeated him and made an honourable exit.

It has been quite clear for sometime how desperate the situation has been at the club. As I have said before it will be a long hard climb back up the slippery pole and SISU in 9 years show no signs of having the business ability or the leadership qualities to do it.

singers_pore

Didn't Steven Pressely say it by highlighting there was no scouting system in place. And set one up by old mates doing favours towards the end of his stint here.

Didn't Mowbrary say it by saying he felt like he was just flipping coins (taking gambles on players and team selection was replace one below par player with another). How run down Ryton had become. The fact he said he wouldn't be looking for a pay off the club needed the money. Say what you like about TM, but he admitted the situation had defeated him and made an honourable exit.

It has been quite clear for sometime how desperate the situation has been at the club. As I have said before it will be a long hard climb back up the slippery pole and SISU in 9 years show no signs of having the business ability or the leadership qualities to do it.

No, no , no. It's always the manager who is at fault. Managers at our club get such an easy ride because if they fail the fans will just blame the owners. Get a grip.*

* Obviously I'm not being serious but there are some 1%ers on here who keep repeating this claptrap ad nauseum.

NortonSkyBlue

I am not concerned with Mark Venus and his emotional state one way or another, I am concerned with the state of our football club, nor am I concerned about his credibility (which must be questioned in the football world). We are serial losers, he can't change that and nor can this group of players.
Oxford, Cambridge, Southend are not a run of poor form, they are how it is.

Skybluesince82

I feel sorry for him. I think he's been played and used by the top brass. Plenty of people were praising him last season for his ability to spot a player. Yes there were a few that bombed, but no one was slagging him off when we signed Armstrong, Murphy, Joe Cole - there was endless praise for him.
I understand why he would have taken a position on the board of the club when invited, he was obviously keen to understand the finer workings of a football club, not just the playing side. Unfortunately he is finding out about the workings of our club, which is one of - if not the - worst run club in the country.

I can't say if he had any ambitions in management hence taking the role, or if he is just helping by saving some money for the owners. What is obvious is that it's not working and fair play for coming out and saying that yesterday. I'm sure he doesn't need the stick he's getting, but I think he is being made a scapegoat for all things wrong at the club. People know insults and marches have no effect on Mr Fisher, so Venus is the public face of the top brass at the club and is therefore an easy target, although he is also the interim manager where results simply haven't been good enough.

Yes, there are some questions about his interest in housing and the possible sale at ryton, but he either has balls the size of Tim Fisher by pushing for that and then directly benefiting from it, or (again) he has been hung out to dry by the top brass with a perceived conflict of interest that has everyone speculating that he is behind that decision to personally benefit when it is, in fact moth gin to do with him.

I'm fairly sure he wants to stand down and probably has for a couple of weeks, but if there is no one waiting in the wings and no one else to take it on, what can he do? I'm sure I'll get a bit of stick for being a sisu apologist for defending him - I'm not, I just think the guy has been hung out to dry and probably a quite naive. We all say what a stand up guy TM is - and I couldn't agree more. One thing about Mowbray was that he was carful about who he had round him, players were recruited not just on ability, but character - same with staff. I would suspect that this was the same for MV - the two of them go back a long way, so you would probably be justified in inferring that MV is also a stand up guy who is just (like us) falling victim to the godawful mess that is CCFC.

What does pain me and embarrass me a bit is just how poisonous some of our fans are. So quick to turn on people and make things very personal. Whilst I'm not condoning it, it is hardly surprising considering all the crap that we have been through supporting CCFC and I, like many others are really fearful for the future of the club.

Otis

Thing is, no-one forced him to take on the manager's role did they? No-one made him say he was interested in position.

He also was in part, along with Mowbray, responsible for the team we have out there at the moment. This is the team that he now says up is too young, not experienced enough, too naive and not strong enough for this division.

He helped create that.

If we have a midtable budget, as now seems to be being suggested, why are we SO bad, why are we in the bottom 4 and why are we very much looking like we will be relegated?

Warwickhunt

In my mind there is only one man that gives a glimmer of hope for survival.
Russell slade. A veteran at this level, knows how to survive and get teams playing, contacts in the game....
the quicker he's in and sees the task in hand the better before January frees and loans are hopefully signed.
Although Slades has been sacked his compensation package requires him to remain unemployed until January 1st else he loses all rights to receive it. It's a contractual clause regarding the compensation.

skybluetony176

Missed the interview but if Venus did criticize the club on the radio does this mean he's in place for a public chastising at the hands of Strange and Fisher at the next SCG?

higgs

Mark Venus sounded like a totally depressed and overwhelmed individual. He is just trying to hold things together against a background where the owners are not making any decisions. It makes no business sense to not make an appointment given that they supposedly have a budget for a manager and players. Unless, SISU have cut the budget or are exiting
He sounded like one of us fans would if we were interviewed

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

davebart

Thing is, no-one forced him to take on the manager's role did they? No-one made him say he was interested in position.

He also was in part, along with Mowbray, responsible for the team we have out there at the moment. This is the team that he now says up is too young, not experienced enough, too naive and not strong enough for this division.

He helped create that.

If we have a midtable budget, as now seems to be being suggested, why are we SO bad, why are we in the bottom 4 and why are we very much looking like we will be relegated?
He might have been forced to take the job. Employers can put tremendous pressure on people to do things they don't really want to do.
The fact he hasn't resigned suggests to me he feels obliged to stay for some reason.
No doubt something will have to give very soon. We could see TF picking the team.

Sick Boy

It is highly unlikely any manager can turn this team round. It needs a massive overhaul but SISU are not going to provide any funds to do it. They won't even fund a new manager which is why Venus can't jack it in.

We were told exactly the same before Thorn was sacked and Robins came in. We were also told they would only fund the likes of Hockaday but then brought in Mowbray.

Users who are viewing this thread