"Virgin Media Failing to Fix Peak Time Broadband Latency and Peering Woes" (1 Viewer)

dutchman

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-time-broadband-latency-and-peering-woes.html

Cable ISP Virgin Media UK has so far failed to completely resolve its broadband peering problems, which re-emerged over a week ago and has left many customers to suffer from high latency (bad for multiplayer games) and video buffering problems during peak times.

The situation, which has resulted in numerous lengthy topics on the ISPs support forum (examples here, here and here), was originally caused when Atrato began pushing “abnormal amounts of traffic” through Virgin’s public peering links at LINX (London Internet Exchange) in October (here); this overloaded them and caused a spate of slow speeds and high latency (ping) woes.

Similar problems have also occurred at different times throughout the year and for some reason Virgin Media appears unable to keep a lid on them. Admittedly other ISPs, such as BT and O2 (BE Broadband), have also been hit by nearly identical problems during 2012 but seemingly none so frequent as Virgin.
Mark Wilkin, Virgin’s Help and Support Forum Manager, said (13th Nov):
As a result of an issue with a third party peering network, some of you have been having trouble with intermittent buffering when trying to stream video from some sites, even though your general broadband speed was unaffected. Towards the end of last week we began rerouting traffic on certain peering links and we’ve seen that have a positive impact. We’re continuing to work with them and expect further improvement this week.
Beyond that, we’re working on further improvements to minimise the effect that the degradation of any particular peering link has on this sort of traffic. We’re also working on a similar issue with YouTube (F002222178) with Google.”
Some customers have experienced an improvement with Virgin’s most recent tweaks, although experiences vary and many are continuing to report problems. The ISP will need to be careful as the past couple of months have been filled with bad publicity about banned advertisements and service performance woes like this one.

Consumers will typically endure only so much before a persistent problem causes them to jump ship, which will become more viable as rival FTTC services extend their reach. On top of that video gamers and youtube fans tend to be some of the most engaged and vocal when problems crop up.

As a side note it’s not known which of the ISPs peering providers is to blame for this latest spate of problems.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Problem could be something to do with YouTube itself. Yesterday it kept lagging trying to buffer short music videos on YouTube but then afterwards I streamed a TV program which was 45 mins long on a different site which buffered very quickly and no lag issues.

3D Jase

We have had the same problem, we were running an old NTL modem and a Lynksys router, which was running a bit slow. We were contacted by Virgin to say that we are being upgraded to 30mps from 20 most also we was entitled to a super hub, which we took up the offer. The engineer came out and took the old modem away saying it belongs in a museum. He did a speed test connected to my laptop, as soon as 7pm came, I wasn't even getting 1mps, actually it was 0.64mps, I phoned the customer help desk and spoke to someone in India I think, but all they do is read from a script and took over my laptop while being plugged into the superhub, they changed a couple of things and rerun the speed test.net program which sure enough was 31mps. All good...but then it did the same every night for a week. I phoned several times and they preformed the same task until I had had enough and told them I want to have my old stuff back. I was immediately put through to Swansea that tried to do the same tasks, I threatened to leave and they finally told me that the Firmware in the latest superhub was bugged and they were had a new hub on trial. That was last week. They also turned the wireless part of the hub off and I'm now using the hub as a modem with my original Lynksys. My speed is now 18mps. Watch this space...

Covstu

i don't normally get a problem with it, I stream sky though my xbox which normally works fine. You tube etc seems to work okay.

Marty

VM is class, I had a problem yesterday with youtube but that's the only problem I have seen, Rarely use my internet at peak times so don't usually see any drop in speeds.

Never had a problem with them and they are always helpful and quick to resolve problems.

Disorganised1

I also have no problem with VM.

Users who are viewing this thread