Virtual book club (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

This may bomb. Here's an idea: we choose a book, a piece of music and a piece of art. We read, listen and look and discuss. Selfishly, as I'm reading it presently, I suggest 'half a yellow sun' by Achebe as the novel - am only 100 pages in and it's excellent. First piece of music and art mentioned is chosen too. Who wants to play?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I think this may bomb MrTrench. Not too many intellectuals on here! (*** grabs coat and runs like buggery!!***) :D

lifeskyblue

I would be up for it MrT....would need time to acquire and read the books after they were posted. I'm already in a book club and it can be frustrating when you just haven't had the time to complete it.
I like the idea of getting to know new authors and music and reassessing artists although I have to admit not much modern art does it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

Hmm, I like the idea in terms of trying to force me to read (why do all real life book clubs seem to run during working hours?) but find myself having little time to actually do the reading for homework atm!

In that sense, you might get a better response with the art and music bits, as they take less time.

NorthernWisdom

Errm OK.

CB6TUxhWYAA115_.jpg

Canaletto btw.

mrtrench

I'm away from home so I'll look at this on a big screen when back. What are your thoughts on it?

Otis

This may bomb. Here's an idea: we choose a book, a piece of music and a piece of art. We read, listen and look and discuss. Selfishly, as I'm reading it presently, I suggest 'half a yellow sun' by Achebe as the novel - am only 100 pages in and it's excellent. First piece of music and art mentioned is chosen too. Who wants to play?

I love my music and I love my film and I like art, but have never, ever been a great book reader unfortunately. Always too busy doing my own thing.

Nice idea though, but don't think you will get much in the way of level of interest.

bringbackrattles

Have you heard about the new craze for adults ? Colouring books the ones we had as kids but now with more intricate designs,it is all the rage I've heard.People with stressful lives etc claim it relaxes them and there are even colouring book clubs on the go. Can you picture the scene great intellectuals all sat round a table colouring in with classical music on in the background ? No nor me !

The Penguin

Have you heard about the new craze for adults ? Colouring books the ones we had as kids but now with more intricate designs,it is all the rage I've heard.People with stressful lives etc claim it relaxes them and there are even colouring book clubs on the go. Can you picture the scene great intellectuals all sat round a table colouring in with classical music on in the background ? No nor me !

Yeah, I don't really get it either. I'll just take the music if I want to relax. Won't be classical though....

bringbackrattles

Yeah, I don't really get it either. I'll just take the music if I want to relax. Won't be classical though....
When I first read about it I thought it was a wind up or something but no it is all the rage now.My young neice who's eight loves them and is always colouring in with One Direction playing while she does them !

Johnnythespider

It's a castle, with people mooching about in front of it on a sunny day.

How'd I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
Think that just about sums it up !

Otis

It's a castle, with people mooching about in front of it on a sunny day.

How'd I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Is it our castle though? Or are we just renting it off someone while we try to find somewhere to build our own castle?

lifeskyblue

Warwick castle. I prefer this to the Venetian canal scenes canalleto painted. I knew he had spent time in England but was unaware he had visited so close to home. I wonder if it is meant to be a true likeness or not as the left of the picture I think is out of proportion to the reality of today. Not sure where the areas of shade in foreground are supposed to come from.

bringbackrattles

Warwick castle. I prefer this to the Venetian canal scenes canalleto painted. I knew he had spent time in England but was unaware he had visited so close to home. I wonder if it is meant to be a true likeness or not as the left of the picture I think is out of proportion to the reality of today. Not sure where the areas of shade in foreground are supposed to come from.

Are you sure it's not Caludon Castle ? As the houses at the back look like Arch Road in Wyken !

bringbackrattles

I thought it was Guy's Tower but perhaps not

No it is Warwick Castle I was kidding as Caludon Castle was my old school.He painted it in 17 something so Arch Road wouldn't have been built then ! By the way young Maddison is ex Caludon.

bringbackrattles

Presumably you left Caludon long before Madders was even thought of

I probably went there when his granddad was in short trousers ! But it was great if you liked sport especially football and Rugby.We seemed to win all the competitions and in one year we won the lot and seven of us played for Coventry Boys so it was a great time to be there. Bobby Gould was there a few years before me but he too has only positive things to say about the school.

Otis

If we're going to examine art I really think we should consider this masterpiece.

What's it trying to say to us? What can we say about its depth and texture?

Dogs_playing_pool.jpg

NorthernWisdom

Is it our castle though? Or are we just renting it off someone while we try to find somewhere to build our own castle?

Well an interesting (or otherwise!) snippet is the people perceived of as owners of that castle in fact lease it on a 20 (I think) year lease...

Anyway, my view of the painting is it's not really to my taste. I struggle with realism... and I appreciate this is partly down to photography that styles change, but I find it a little dull and a little stark. Nice use of shadow, but it's a little too quaint and gentle and peaceful for me.

mrtrench

We can discuss Louis wane (spelling?). His pictures remind me of autumn: open fires, victoriana, obviously snooker rooms- they have a place. Back on Wednesday; looking foward to posting lots of pretentious tosh. But the real point is that surely anything that you think isn't tosh and is neither right nor wrong. This is why I said I would like an irreverent forum; one where being wanky is not rewarded.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
If we're going to examine art I really think we should consider this masterpiece.

What's it trying to say to us? What can we say about its depth and texture?

View attachment 4508

Nice picture, but his cue action is all wrong. He's never going to pot that blue from that position! :thinking about:

wingy

This picture tells us Dogs just shouldn't shoot pool.

It's dated and outmoded.
I mean It's a lads night out, the bitches are at home watching the pups and they're smoking Inside the bar.
The metaphor Is we are living a dog's life.

Otis

It's dated and outmoded.
I mean It's a lads night out, the bitches are at home watching the pups and they're smoking Inside the bar.
The metaphor Is we are living a dog's life.

Shows how thick I am. I thought it was clearly saying 'bow ties are cool.'

wingy

Well on the Classical music
I'm going for a modern Opera by Patrick Cassidy Vide Cor Meum performed by Danniella di Niese and Bruno Lazzorrotti.
Based on Dantes Inferno and featured in the Hannibal Movie and Kingdom of Heaven.
There are of course many many great Classical peices but this is so moving.
The others I will submit along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread