Vote Them Out. Demo on Sat 10 May & campaign aimed at getting councillors to speak. (1 Viewer)

Rob S

Morning all. We at Get Cov Back to the Ricoh are launching a new campaign today. Extract from the press release below with full version here.

I'll be around for most of the day to give any details you guys need and take the mauling I deserve ;)

"A FIRST major demonstration outside the Council House is among measures in a Coventry City fans’ “Vote Them Out” campaign launched today ahead of local elections on May 22, which seeks a return to the Ricoh Arena for next season.

The campaign calls for people to stand as candidates on a Get Cov Back To The Ricoh platform, with nominations opening this week.

In any event, fans are urged to question all parties’ candidates and vote against their councillor of whichever party – if they feel they or the council have not helped the club, and will not help the club in future.

Organisers the Get Cov Back To The Ricoh campaign says the council elections are a unique opportunity for fans, voters and taxpayers to have their say. It is urging a united front among the majority of fans who believe all sides should be held to account for the disastrous dispute which led to the Sky Blues playing in Northampton.

It calls on anyone who cares about the Sky Blues’ threatened future to not only join the demonstration outside Coventry City Council in Earl Street, city centre, on Saturday, May 10, at 1pm – but to call councillors to account at the ballot box for their part in the crisis.

The campaign calls on anyone interested in standing in the local elections on a Get Cov Back To The Ricoh platform to step forward before close of nominations on April 24. Whether or not any individual stands, the campaign also urges voters to contact all parties’ candidates in their wards to ask what they would do to initiate a Ricoh return for next season. If they are not satisfied with the answers, they should use their vote accordingly.

Both the council leader Ann Lucas (Holbrook) and deputy leader Phil Townshend (Lower Stoke) are standing this year, as are Conservatives who as an opposition group have supported the Labour council’s strategy."

Full press release here.

About to go on CWR & Central News are leading with it. Due to be front page of Observer & CT covering along the way no doubt.

John_Silletts_Nose

Do you, and Stuart, pay council tax to Coventry Council?

Why create another group when KCIC already exists and has organised some good protests with exactly the same objective, unless your objectives are very different?

sky blue john

Think I will wait to hear from the council at the JR before screaming for their heads.
I personally think they have done us a favour throughout in not letting Sisu get hold of the Ricoh and have been wise to them.
Anyone who thinks Sisu are suitable owners for ccfc want their heads testing !!!

chiefdave

Interesting, a couple of questions spring to mind and hopefully Rob will be happy to answer as he's after votes!

The campaign calls for people to stand as candidates on a Get Cov Back To The Ricoh platform, with nominations opening this week.

This needs a lot more detail, is there a website or somewhere to read a full manifesto? You can't really expect people to vote for you if they don't know what you're going to do should you win. Obviously getting the club back to the Ricoh is something you would hope every Coventry fan supports but how will you achieve that? I think you will find the level of support a lot lower if you're suggesting essentially handing the Ricoh over to SISU. If that's not the plan what would you do that hasn't already been offered by the council or ACL?

fans are urged to question all parties’ candidates and vote against their councillor of whichever party

Are you basically asking everyone to vote for the person who didn't win last time rather than against a particular party? Think that will be a difficult message to get over especially as everything to do with the Ricoh in recent months from the councils side has cross party support.

Will certainly be interesting to see if this gains any traction.

Rob S

Will you be wearing your nice tie? Which ward are you hoping to get elected for?

Haha! I'm sure Paul Harris noticed that because it was one of the cheaper M&S ones. But it is Sky Blue which counts I suppose.

Unfortunately (?), I can't run as I don't meet the requirements (don't live or work in Cov) but we've had a few people consider. This first got mentioned when we did the petition hand-in at the Council House back in November. Someone (a very widely-respected local person) said that we should stand a candidate in the next election and Stuart (Cosgrove) had a chuckle and said he hoped it wouldn't come to that. Here we are five months later and nothing much has changed except less people are going to Sixfields and lawyers are buying more private islands so we thought the elections were just too good an opportunity to pass up.

Wards under the spotlight are Holbrook (Leader Ann Lucas), Lower Stoke (Dep. leader Phil Townsend) & one of the marginals, e.g. Westwoood

Do you, and Stuart, pay council tax to Coventry Council?

Why create another group when KCIC already exists and has organised some good protests with exactly the same objective, unless your objectives are very different?

We don't but many others in the campaign do. I will point out that, like many Cov fans, when Cov play in Cov we both spend way more than the average council tax bill with local businesses. Do you have to be a Coventry council tax payer to support Cov?

One of the reasons we set up GCBTTR last year was because Michael said that he didn't have the time/resources to deal with the Council as well as Sisu, the FL, the FA & parliament. He's put in a massive amount of work. I know Michael and have been on KCIC actions in London. We don't agree on everything when it comes to sorting this out but, to paraphrase what he said on here once; we pass the 'having a beer with' test :)

We are not blaming the council for everything but we just want to make sure that all sides are being held to account and if KCIC, the Sky Blue Trust, the media in general and Get Cov Back to the Ricoh are pushing all sides from all angles to get this sorted then we can get a resolution to this mess.

duffer

We are not blaming the council for everything but we just want to make sure that all sides are being held to account and if KCIC, the Sky Blue Trust, the media in general and Get Cov Back to the Ricoh are pushing all sides from all angles to get this sorted then we can get a resolution to this mess.

So just to be clear then Rob, exactly what are you doing to force SISU back to the table?

Grendel

So just to be clear then Rob, exactly what are you doing to force SISU back to the table?

About as much as KCIC and the Trust?

Astute

So we should blame CCC before the truth comes out at the JR?

John_Silletts_Nose

We don't but many others in the campaign do. I will point out that, like many Cov fans, when Cov play in Cov we both spend way more than the average council tax bill with local businesses. Do you have to be a Coventry council tax payer to support Cov?

One of the reasons we set up GCBTTR last year was because Michael said that he didn't have the time/resources to deal with the Council as well as Sisu, the FL, the FA & parliament. He's put in a massive amount of work. I know Michael and have been on KCIC actions in London. We don't agree on everything when it comes to sorting this out but, to paraphrase what he said on here once; we pass the 'having a beer with' test :)

So you do not appear on the Coventry electoral roll and yet you feel you should be impacting the livelihoods of Coventry people by electing people based on your single manifesto item.
Council elected officials have to deal with many mundane items which impact the day to day lives of the people, put this into perspective, child care provision, education, planning, even bin collections to name just a few items are more important to consider in council elections than some building in one part of Coventry.

I do not necessarily agree with the council but I think you campaign is misjudged and very anti-council. Have you done anything to campaign against the football club due to its actions.

It would be better to be part of KCIC and lead the council campaign, since Michael does not have the capacity, this would give one united front to bring the football team back would be better.

Rob S

Interesting, a couple of questions spring to mind and hopefully Rob will be happy to answer as he's after votes!

"The campaign calls for people to stand as candidates on a Get Cov Back To The Ricoh platform, with nominations opening this week."

This needs a lot more detail, is there a website or somewhere to read a full manifesto? You can't really expect people to vote for you if they don't know what you're going to do should you win. Obviously getting the club back to the Ricoh is something you would hope every Coventry fan supports but how will you achieve that? I think you will find the level of support a lot lower if you're suggesting essentially handing the Ricoh over to SISU. If that's not the plan what would you do that hasn't already been offered by the council or ACL?

"fans are urged to question all parties’ candidates and vote against their councillor of whichever party"

Are you basically asking everyone to vote for the person who didn't win last time rather than against a particular party? Think that will be a difficult message to get over especially as everything to do with the Ricoh in recent months from the councils side has cross party support.

Will certainly be interesting to see if this gains any traction.

Good questions and you are absolutely right to pick up on this.

Overall, Vote Them Out is a three-pronged campaign. Can we get people to stand?; Question your candidates about a Ricoh return; & demonstration at the council house on Sat 10 May (it will be sunny, honest.)

If we can get people to stand then we would formulate our manifesto with them and take input / feedback from others in the campaign.

We think that the best & quickest way to get the club back to the Ricoh (and away from an alternative venue / Sixfields hell) is for negotiations around owning the stadium. Definitely not just handing it over.

We're asking people to question candidates and vote accordingly. The council have presented a united front because all councillors have been pulled into line with the fear of legal action & the JR. We know that there are councillors on all sides who want to move things on but with Ann Lucas & John Blundell standing together it has been very hard. This campaign is designed to pressure democratically elected representatives to actually answer some questions about a Ricoh return rather than just hide.

Ultimately – and you only have to look at last week's court disclosures & Chris West's emails – it looks like the councillors are either being led by the executives or just not holding them to proper scrutiny.

Spionkop

I don't blame the council at all. They've helped the club no end over the past few years.
Of course the rent seemed high at £1.2 million originally, but that went out the window a long time ago.
And offers of rent free.£150,000 a season have been placed.
They played a major part in helping the club move to the Ricoh financially.
They were probably legally bound to recoup the money they bailed the club out with during the building of the Ricoh.
Hence that rent. I don't like the Ricoh much, but as grounds go it is as good as most.
I didn't want to leave Highfield Road. Always felt houses could have been bought around the ground to help with redevelopment. As Liverpool are doing.
That's history.
If I were apportioning blame it would be Council 1% - Sisu 99%.
Sisu took us to Northampton. Sisu caused the 10 point deduction. Sisu haven't made an offer for anything, ever. Unless you count their 2 million 'donation' to the Higgs as revealed in court last week.
They are dirty, rotten scoundrels, being very polite about it.
The Liquidators - or else.
Just amazed that so many on here are taken in by Sisu.
You must all be very nice people as you are so forgiving.

letsallsingtogether

Well maybe you should stand?
You keep telling us how you are a high flyer better versed and more intelligent then anyone else on here, and as you are on over £100,000 a year should be able to support your own campaign....

After all you will make a good politician as you change your mind like the wind and Berate anyone else who does the same:D
So stop slagging everyone off and do something.

Oh I forgot you are "I DON'T not go to Northampton"

VOTE FOR G

About as much as KCIC and the Trust?

shmmeee

Where can we read your manifesto?

I'll back your campaign (I'd even stand if you want) if it's a decent party of local government with a clear plan.

chiefdave

Can we get people to stand?; Question your candidates about a Ricoh return; & demonstration at the council house on Sat 10 May (it will be sunny, honest.)

If we can get people to stand then we would formulate our manifesto with them and take input / feedback from others in the campaign.

Blimey, that's a hell of a lot to get done in 40ish days. You've got to find candidates, draft an initial manifesto, debate and alter manifesto until agreement is reached and then start campaigning. Don't count on getting any sleep for the next few weeks!

letsallsingtogether

Your in for it now :D
I don't blame the council at all. They've helped the club no end over the past few years.
Of course the rent seemed high at £1.2 million originally, but that went out the window a long time ago.
And offers of rent free.£150,000 a season have been placed.
They played a major part in helping the club move to the Ricoh financially.
They were probably legally bound to recoup the money they bailed the club out with during the building of the Ricoh.
Hence that rent. I don't like the Ricoh much, but as grounds go it is as good as most.
I didn't want to leave Highfield Road. Always felt houses could have been bought around the ground to help with redevelopment. As Liverpool are doing.
That's history.
If I were apportioning blame it would be Council 1% - Sisu 99%.
Sisu took us to Northampton. Sisu caused the 10 point deduction. Sisu haven't made an offer for anything, ever. Unless you count their 2 million 'donation' to the Higgs as revealed in court last week.
They are dirty, rotten scoundrels, being very polite about it.
The Liquidators - or else.
Just amazed that so many on here are taken in by Sisu.
You must all be very nice people as you are so forgiving.

skybluetony176

Morning all. We at Get Cov Back to the Ricoh are launching a new campaign today. Extract from the press release below with full version here.

I'll be around for most of the day to give any details you guys need and take the mauling I deserve ;)

"A FIRST major demonstration outside the Council House is among measures in a Coventry City fans’ “Vote Them Out” campaign launched today ahead of local elections on May 22, which seeks a return to the Ricoh Arena for next season.

In any event, fans are urged to question all parties’ candidates and vote against their councillor of whichever party – if they feel they or the council have not helped the club, and will not help the club in future.

Organisers the Get Cov Back To The Ricoh campaign says the council elections are a unique opportunity for fans, voters and taxpayers to have their say. It is urging a united front among the majority of fans who believe all sides should be held to account for the disastrous dispute which led to the Sky Blues playing in Northampton.

It calls on anyone who cares about the Sky Blues’ threatened future to not only join the demonstration outside Coventry City Council in Earl Street, city centre, on Saturday, May 10, at 1pm – but to call councillors to account at the ballot box for their part in the crisis.

The campaign calls on anyone interested in standing in the local elections on a Get Cov Back To The Ricoh platform to step forward before close of nominations on April 24. Whether or not any individual stands, the campaign also urges voters to contact all parties’ candidates in their wards to ask what they would do to initiate a Ricoh return for next season. If they are not satisfied with the answers, they should use their vote accordingly.

Both the council leader Ann Lucas (Holbrook) and deputy leader Phil Townshend (Lower Stoke) are standing this year, as are Conservatives who as an opposition group have supported the Labour council’s strategy."

Full press release here.

About to go on CWR & Central News are leading with it. Due to be front page of Observer & CT covering along the way no doubt.

Fair play to you Rob. I'm from rugby so there's not a fat lot I can do to assist but I welcome anyone putting pressure on any or all of the parties to get around the table. Nothing is going to happen without dialogue. Some of the nay sayers will tell you you're wasting your time as nothing will happen until after the JR but what they are missing is that it's important to keep it on the agenda. Politics has and always will be a long game.

lordsummerisle

Well that's kind of my point. I'm hardly enamoured with current political parties, might as well see what the new boys have to offer.

It's that unfortunate disengagement with voters from all the mainstream political parties that allows the likes of UKIP to gain traction.

shmmeee

It's that unfortunate disengagement with voters from all the mainstream political parties that allows the likes of UKIP to gain traction.

The irony being of course that Farage is as much part of the old boys club as anyone.

Oh for a proper working class party of the left.

letsallsingtogether

So true the problem is that our Government don't even give a toss so what is an unfashionable place like Coventry going to do to change things?

Can't give the Ricoh away as it is against the constitution.

I to can't help as I live in wainbody ward and our candidate is a cert.

Then again so does Ranting Pete Chambers maybe we could talk him in to doing it :D

Fair play to you Rob. I'm from rugby so there's not a fat lot I can do to assist but I welcome anyone putting pressure on any or all of the parties to get around the table. Nothing is going to happen without dialogue. Some of the nay sayers will tell you you're wasting your time as nothing will happen until after the JR but what they are missing is that it's important to keep it on the agenda. Politics has and always will be a long game.

ollyservetta

maybe ill start a campaign called ,we should never have gone to the ricoh in the first place or ,we should hav never sold highfield road like a lot of us were saying at the time but got shouted down .or a ,we should never hav bought season tickets after the first year under sisu, we only need one campaign surely,anymore will just divide us evenmore .keep cov in cov and the ricoh being the best and only real option with sisu and its tenticles gone .and now asking councillors and others for support ,well bit late when in my mind they helped destroy ccfc with the sale of HR in the first place ,and those standing at the time have long retired or moved on .and please remember that Coventry is a lot bigger than ccfc,so the ricoh should never be given away ,a cov charity should never be robbed ,councillors should never be elected just on their views on our troubles .im starting to feel that I just want an end to all this ,even if it means the end of ccfc as we know it .it just seems to be crap on top of crap with more crap added.the one thing I know for sure is ,the tax paying people of Coventry should not have to pay for this mess

shmmeee

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be better to get a pledge candidates from any party can sign? Then if someone in that ward signs you don't have to run.

Godiva

Well, I think this should be applauded. If nothing else it will make headlines and cause debate.
Put the situation on the local political agenda. Maybe this is more effective than trying to get a debate in the parliament about how the FL have f*cked up?

lordsummerisle

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be better to get a pledge candidates from any party can sign? Then if someone in that ward signs you don't have to run.

Think UKIP have a similar strategy of not standing against openly Eurosceptic Tory candidates.

Users who are viewing this thread