Wales now in trouble because of poppies? (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

'Some supporters in the stands wearing a poppy'. That's bonkers, would it even be legal to try and stop people doing that?

SBAndy

I can understand the punishment issued to the teams for wearing poppies themselves (whilst not wholly agree with them), but to persecute a team because it's fans wore it? Sorry, that's bollocks.

ajsccfc

What the fuck?

The incidents, as detailed in the communication from Fifa, under investigation include:
  • Some supporters in the stands wearing the poppy.
  • A member of the armed forces was holding a bunch of poppies at the exit of the tunnel .
  • A fans mosaic depicting the poppy was displayed during the anthem of Wales.
  • A banner depicting the poppy was also displayed by the supporters of wales before the 
match started.
Someone has finally broken FIFA's brain

SBAndy

Be hilarious when Wales get a points deduction after how many counts of racism have been punished with a tenner fine.

Terry Gibson's perm

This is typical Fifa making a big issue out of this and then doing nothing about racist issues. I bet they wouldn't have said anything if one of their beloved sponsors had done something with a poppy.

The new man at Fifa is no better than the previous

Gazolba

They should have worn poppies on their undershorts.

chiefdave

If you think of some of the abuse that gets handed out, particularly it seems in Russia, Eastern Europe and Turkey, towards some players that seems to just get ignored or a smack on the wrist it makes this even more unbelievable.

lifeskyblue

An absolute disgrace. Time some of the large European associations stood up for football, its traditions and fans and told FIFA to take a hike. Fifa would break apart without some high profile nations.
What I don't get is how is the poppy a political symbol but national anthems, national flags and such like aren't. Double standards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingy

An absolute disgrace. Time some of the large European associations stood up for football, its traditions and fans and told FIFA to take a hike. Fifa would break apart without some high profile nations.
What I don't get is how is the poppy a political symbol but national anthems, national flags and such like aren't. Double standards

Yeah the French one is if nothing all about blood and guts!

lifeskyblue

Yeah the French one is if nothing all about blood and guts!

Yes clearly overthrowing the ancien regime and marching for freedom from internal tyranny and foreign powers is not political at all. That's the purpose of anthems. Fifa are just a joke

Liquid Gold

The top European and South American teams should form a breakaway association, the rest would soon follow. FIFA are absolutely bonkers, I can see there may be something in not having political symbols on shirts but fans in stands wearing poppies is in-fucking-sane. Giving the world cup to despotic regimes and brown envelopes should have been enough. It's stupid to fund each member to the same level, countries like Germany and Brazil receive the same funding as Burundi and Faroe Islands FFS.

Users who are viewing this thread