Walking football (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

I stopped playing regular 5-a-side about 5 years ago (and 11 a side 15 years ago) as I no longer had the pace to compete. I've decided to try walking football and am off the morning to try it out. Does anyone else do this? Thoughts?

Fully expecting the limited control and skills I ever had to be sadly lacking today. It's going to take a while. A white lie above - I did play 5-a-side once a year ago and I was bloody awful.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I've often wondered about walking football. Not playing it, (I couldn't walk without a stick!), but I imagine it would be quite hard not to want to break into a run with the ball and smashing one towards the goal! Old habits, eh?

clint van damme

Any able bodied person who plays walking football who hasn't suffered from a heart attack/stroke/debilitating disease etc need whipping with a sock full of hot shite.
Only think worse is that bubble football bollocks.

mrtrench

Just got back - it was excellent. Great bunch of lads; 'walking' interpreted loosely and no sock/shite whipping. I don't know how old you are Clint but I'm in my late 50s and I just simply cannot play proper football any more without infuriating my team members when I cannot move at pace.

clint van damme

Just got back - it was excellent. Great bunch of lads; 'walking' interpreted loosely and no sock/shite whipping. I don't know how old you are Clint but I'm in my late 50s and I just simply cannot play proper football any more without infuriating my team members when I cannot move at pace.

Fair play mate, glad you enjoyed it. My post was tongue in cheek. In my early 50s and still playing with a mixed aged group but I've got to be honest and say once the legs have gone, (or perhaps that should be, gone even more), I don't think I'll bother with the walking football though you never know.

vow

Nice one mrtrench!

I still play (turn-up) 7-a-side sometimes even full pitch 12-a-side too and love it, in my late forties, a mere pup :shamefullyembarrased:.

Anyhow, my point is I love it for the physical, mental and social aspect of it all and would take up walking Footy in a heartbeat if I felt unable to contribute enough to the other games I play!

Glad you enjoyed it, fair play.

lifeskyblue

I’m 61 and up to a couple years ago helped train an u15 team. Loved it all, especially the 7 a side at the end of each session when I always joined in. Despite having a hip replacement 5yrs ago I could still marshall the defence but speed and agility long gone. And I must admit I pulled out a few tackles in the years after the hip. Some of those teenagers had too much testosterone.
I should take up Walking Football but have never got round to it. So well done MrT for going. One of the guys who sat behind me at Ricoh ran a walking football team in Bedworth...next time I see him in brum I will ask if he is still involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I’m looking for a “I’m a fat asthmatic and shit at football but still enjoy it” group, does such a thing exist?

I want to run I just don’t want to be against anyone with any ability or stamina whatsoever.

fellatio_Martinez

need whipping with a sock full of hot shite.

giphy.gif

covcity4life

We have a 50 year old who plays with us

All he wvee goes on about how he wa smuch better than ud at his age

But now hes shit lol. Acrually hes a good player but he prefers to argue thab work hard these days

clint van damme

We have a 50 year old who plays with us

All he wvee goes on about how he wa smuch better than ud at his age

But now hes shit lol. Acrually hes a good player but he prefers to argue thab work hard these days

sounds like a really contrary bloke, don't know why anyone would want to argue with you.

Irish Sky Blue

Just being nosey but which session did you go to?.
I usually go to the SBitC sessions run by Dave Bennett at St Finbarr's Club on. Monday and Thursday. Unfortunately I pulled a calf muscle on Monday so I will be out for a week or two.
I have to say I absolutely love the sessions. They are competitive and everyone plays to win. It is hard not to run and in fact it's more a, what you can get away with session than strict walking.
The social aspect is really good too. There is a real sense of camerarderie. Lots of old blokes having a natter. I would say at least 80% of those who go are City fans too.

mrtrench

Anyhow, my point is I love it for the physical, mental and social aspect of it all and would take up walking Footy in a heartbeat if I felt unable to contribute enough to the other games I play!

I can't promise that every game will be like the one I went to yesterday - but all of the above was maintained. There's even some aggression which I like - the challenge to shield the ball whilst someone is clipping at your feet from behind. I even fell over twice (but admittedly, once was falling over my own feet trying to turn - I'm rusty).

Even better, I cured my groin niggle... well I say that; in reality I pulled my hamstring stretching for the ball and that's so painful I no longer notice the groin.

My legs went at around 52/53 - it almost felt sudden - one week I was confident I could push the ball and beat the oppo player, the next I couldn't. I actually felt I was playing the best footy of my life in my 40s. Not that I was ever any good - I'm a grafter without silky skills.

Highly recommended

mrtrench

Just being nosey but which session did you go to?.
I usually go to the SBitC sessions run by Dave Bennett at St Finbarr's Club on. Monday and Thursday. Unfortunately I pulled a calf muscle on Monday so I will be out for a week or two.
I have to say I absolutely love the sessions. They are competitive and everyone plays to win. It is hard not to run and in fact it's more a, what you can get away with session than strict walking.
The social aspect is really good too. There is a real sense of camerarderie. Lots of old blokes having a natter. I would say at least 80% of those who go are City fans too.

I live in Hampshire, so no use to you, sorry. There was one City fan there, wearing the shirt from the Dublun/Hucks days - but that was me.

Irish Sky Blue

I expect the Hampshire Branch of the Coventry City Supporters Club to be up and running soon! (probably more than can be said for it's members!)

Users who are viewing this thread