Walsall Talks Have Taken Place - Darryl Murphy (1 Viewer)

According to Central News' Darryl Murphy, Coventry City have hald talks with Walsall FC regarding a three year ground-sharing arrangement.

Mr Murphy has tweeted: "To clarify, senior sources at Walsall FC have told me that they HAVE had talks with Coventry City about ground-sharing."
With regards to reports that had a deal had been agreed, Mr Murphy also tweeted: :'denied reports they've agreed a deal' - that part is true. At the moment - they haven't agreed a deal.
More worryingly was his tweets: "For a long time I doubted it - but at the moment it does seem more credible (and various people I'm speaking to agree)" and "FL do have to ratify - am told Sisu are working closely to keep them on side. FL want to make sure fixtures go ahead asap."

If this is true then I am appalled by both Walsall and The Football League. Morality and the importance of the football community are both being thrown out of the window in order to make a quick buck and avoid any hassle.

And why is it that (if true) Walsall would happily deal with these crooks and yet previous consortiums wouldn't when we were looking for a takeover?

I can only hope that common sense prevails or I fear for our game.

Flying Fokker

I suppose walsall ccfc is better than no club.

Pity there will only be 3000 walsall ccfc fans there.

Count me out. I don't follow football. It is City in the city or nothing.. Carry on ignoring the fans Timmy. Recipe for disaster.

steveo1987

Count me out. I don't follow football. It is City in the city or nothing.. Carry on ignoring the fans Timmy. Recipe for disaster.

Agreed.currently having a season ticket debate on gmk.I will be a neutral season ticket holder at Northampton if we move from Coventry.

Spionkop

For what it is worth, I've just emailed Paul Doyle, the chief football writer at The Guardian. See if he can highlight what's going on.

dongonzalos

The Walsall fans won't watch Coventry. There will be about 200 fans there.

The ground share part I always thought was a possibly. As it applies more pressure on ACL.

However they will never commit 30 million to a new stadium and they have 3 years possibly 4 to dick around with.

dongonzalos

I have to say and it is each man to their own but any fan travelling to Walsall would prolong the time the club are based there

lifelongcityfan

totally agree...now is the time for complete unity. I will go to the away games, but willl not set foot inside walsall except for the away game.

WillieStanley

I have to say and it is each man to their own but any fan travelling to Walsall would prolong the time the club are based there

Once we're there, we're there Don. Poor attendance would simply kill the club, not move it back to Coventry. That's not the fans fault, its the board, FL and Walsall. I don't blame fans for not traveling to Walsall but I also don't agree that any positive outcome could be achieved through fans staying away.

psgm1

Banned
Considering that the away following hardly ever reached 2000 when city played away - solely as a protest against sisu, would be surprised if 1000 turn up each week. Sorry but watching city play away at another's ground is fine if an away fixture, but home games based away - is betraying the club simple

dongonzalos

Once we're there, we're there Don. Poor attendance would simply kill the club, not move it back to Coventry. That's not the fans fault, its the board, FL and Walsall. I don't blame fans for not traveling to Walsall but I also don't agree that any positive outcome could be achieved through fans staying away.

Sorry Will they have absolutely no intention about building a new stadium.
Their plan as always is that this will crush ACL.
At the end of the three/ four years if ACL are still going they will either try and sell the club or negotiate to come back.

If no fans attended then they have to pay the rent with no income at all.

The decision will need to happen a lot quicker hopefully whilst Mr Haskell is still around.

I believe if fans attended they would have a free range to drag it out for a couple of years before the FA kicked off over the complete lack of stadium development.

All the way along their aim is to get ownership if ACL without paying the going rate.

They will shaft everyone in their way. ACL, Yorkshire bank, Council, Higgs now it is our turn the fans.

The club is only safe today as we are a bargaining chip.

If you want to attend that is your choice and right.

I can't help but think by doing so you will increasing the time you will be spending there whilst SISU uses you as a pawn in their game

simple_simon

Considering that the away following hardly ever reached 2000 when city played away - solely as a protest against sisu, would be surprised if 1000 turn up each week. Sorry but watching city play away at another's ground is fine if an away fixture, but home games based away - is betraying the club simple

How would you ever know, probably never been to away game.

valiant15

At the end of the three/ four years if ACL are still going they will either try and sell the club or negotiate to come back.

The decision will need to happen a lot quicker hopefully whilst Mr Haskell is still around.

I believe if fans attended they would have a free range to drag it out for a couple of years before the FA kicked off over the complete lack of stadium development.

All the way along their aim is to get ownership if ACL without paying the going rate.

They will shaft everyone in their way. ACL, Yorkshire bank, Council, Higgs now it is our turn the fans.

I can't help but think by doing so you will increasing the time you will be spending there whilst SISU uses you as a pawn in their game

Its the selfish me me me attitude of some fans that pisses me off. There needs to be a total boycott of this Walsall farce. Anybody who goes, is as bad as sisu in my opinion.

Premier

I agree 100%. That's the only reason why they are challenging the Council's arrangement for taking over the mortgage for ACL. They will try to buy CCFC ltd and move to Walsall or another ground, and aren't interested in anything other than making money for their own investors. They have probably lost quite a bit by now and are looking for a way to recoup their losses!

WFC

If we go ahead with this it will be a shame on our club. Unfortunately even if our CEO thinks it's a bad idea our owner will just see £'s and he won't get a say. Our owner is well known for not giving a toss what our own fans think. This will now cause a load of trouble for us as well.

chiefdave

Darryl Murphy is normally pretty spot on with CCFC news, or at least he was while at Free Radio so you'd assume he's still using the same contacts, so it seems likely that it is Walsall that's the favourite location for next season. Wonder if they are also talking to other clubs in case Walsall say no?

bigfatronssba

<p>
Darryl Murphy is normally pretty spot on with CCFC news, or at least he was while at Free Radio so you'd assume he's still using the same contacts, so it seems likely that it is Walsall that's the favourite location for next season. Wonder if they are also talking to other clubs in case Walsall say no?

I thought he was still at Free Radio?

The Penguin

If we go ahead with this it will be a shame on our club. Unfortunately even if our CEO thinks it's a bad idea our owner will just see £'s and he won't get a say. Our owner is well known for not giving a toss what our own fans think. This will now cause a load of trouble for us as well.

Scant consolation, I'm sure, but if it does happen, know that most of us wish it hadn't.

Spionkop

Got a reply from Paul Doyle at The Guardian just now. Hopefully it will draw some attention to our plight...I've put an edited version of my note to him first

Paul, hope you don't mind me contacting you out of the blue. A few years ago you ran an article on the plight of my son...
Anyway I wondered if you could draw attention to the alarming and needless situation at my club, Coventry City. Re the apparent imminent relocation of the club to Walsall, for at least three seasons. 11,000 fans have signed a petition run by the local paper protesting this. I know David Conn has talked about the holy mess at our club in the past.
Us fans feel this latest move by our reviled owners SISU is the last straw. We fear it could mean the end of our club

Paul's reply below

Thanks for getting in touch - it's nice to hear from you again I suspect someone from the Guardian is already looking into the extraordinary situation at Coventry with a view to publishing an article on it - I will ask this morning and if someone is not already on the case, then I will get on it. I'll let you know Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:

italiahorse

People who go are effectively accepting SISU's plan, which is exactly what they want.
If the first game at Walsall could have no "Home" fans then SISU will be forced to negotiate a deal at the Ricoh within days.
Please, hold your nerve.

Users who are viewing this thread