Well we won atlast but.... (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

...what happened second half ? Ecstatic as i am about winning atlast I look at the second half with despair. First within minutes of the second half starting I spotted the change in the Gillingham tactics, they moved up as a block 5 yards, compressing our midfield space, consequently our defence dropped back and the pressure was on, can't our coaches and manager see it ?
Still we have to start winning sometime and hopefully this is the start of a winning run but we need to improve loads.

superskyblue

It was carbon copy of the Wycombe game. Can't help but feel we've been lucky in those two games to win given our propensity to just drop deep from the off in the second half.

SkyBlueZack

We always seem to drop off, regardless of players or managers. Not sure why. Hopefully seeing the game out today will give the team the confidence to see future games out. My only concern is we're not quick enough to second balls, we're a small team, we know we're not going to win many balls in the air but position yourself for the second ball to win that.

Other than that, good performance and good atmosphere.

rob9872

Don't give a flying. They held on this time and that will give enormous confidence that they can do it. Some of those never won a league game for city so getting over the line is massive. Don't care how it came because as soon as it went 2-1 I was expecting 2-2. I felt it most of the ground felt it so in sure it transmitted to the players.

Massive massive 3points. Need to build on it of course but win next week win the game in hand and we're looking up whilst others look over their shoulder.

At the moment we're buried be interesting to see how the pressure is handled if and when we get closer but hopefully by then we'll have momentum.

steve82

Huge monkey off our backs now, regardless of the 2nd half meltdown we held on for a change against a side who score goals and drew there last 5 games.
Yes we were lucky but that's something we've not had in the league for months.
The lack of confidence is still there after a very good first half. I thought the Gillingham sub at half time changed there game massively. No19 Parker was a real problem for us and there no 2 the right back was given too much freedom against Ryan Haynes.
A win is a win tho, for today we held on.

CovBurty

Also don't give a frick. It's a win. Win next game by any means. Looks like we need a few goals behind us. That's why the Yak has helped. Suddenly r strikers want a shit cup final start. Tudgay is now lifting his head and working better. Is it a turning point tho? If so need to beat Swindon. No draws, a win only and then we can have a hope.

Otis

We always seem to drop off, regardless of players or managers

I said the exact same thing today to my new stalker. This backing off and defending deep has been going on under a succession of managers here at this club.

It's baffling really. It's no wonder we let in late goals. I know we didn't against Wycombe and we didn't today either, but we so easily could have done in both matches.

st john

I said the exact same thing today to my new stalker. This backing off and defending deep has been going on under a succession of managers here at this club.

It's baffling really. It's no wonder we let in late goals. I know we didn't against Wycombe and we didn't today either, but we so easily could have done in both matches.
Nerves on our part and the opposition's expectation that if they throw everything forward they will score. Lets face it with our goalscoring record they aren't risking much at the other end with that tactic, and it pushes us back into defence. If we could punish a couple of teams with late goals ourselves, it would help.

stevefloyd

The team ate lacking massive self belief hopefully that will make them believe a little more and again hopefully we can start putting games to bed earlier as team confidence grows..... heres hoping

Warwickhunt

If he had not took of Thomas he could have kept pressure on their back line but instead they let Jones stay on the right being ineffectual and allowing their right had side defenders to get up the field hence the reason Haynes was getting battered by their right back. Poor tactics if you ask me

rob9872

We didn't :)

Grendel

If he had not took of Thomas he could have kept pressure on their back line but instead they let Jones stay on the right being ineffectual and allowing their right had side defenders to get up the field hence the reason Haynes was getting battered by their right back. Poor tactics if you ask me

Reilly was covering Haynes all game and especially in the second half.
George Thomas was injured and kwame Thomas was out on his feet.

steve82

The substitutions didn't make Haynes exposed, Gillinghams change in there approach and use of there sub josh Parker caused the trouble. He was big quick and powerful and won a lot of balls between the defence and midfield. This in turn gave there fullback Jackson freedom to Rome down the right flank and target Haynes and turning him inside out.
Both George Thomas and Kwame Thomas had ran there race, George battered all game and hobbled around at the end to applause and Kwame is returning from a long lay off he's not yet 100% match fit.
JJ was a fresh pair of legs to give them something to think about with his pace tho rarely tracked back to help. Yakubu to give a local point up too as Tudgay drops deeper and deeper to assist in defending.
If Burge had not needed replacing at half time then we would of had that extra sub which we could of done with as we fell deeper and deeper with tired legs.

Otis

The substitutions didn't make Haynes exposed, Gillinghams change in there approach and use of there sub josh Parker caused the trouble. He was big quick and powerful and won a lot of balls between the defence and midfield. This in turn gave there fullback Jackson freedom to Rome down the right flank and target Haynes and turning him inside out.
Both George Thomas and Kwame Thomas had ran there race, George battered all game and hobbled around at the end to applause and Kwame is returning from a long lay off he's not yet 100% match fit.
JJ was a fresh pair of legs to give them something to think about with his pace tho rarely tracked back to help. Yakubu to give a local point up too as Tudgay drops deeper and deeper to assist in defending.
If Burge had not needed replacing at half time then we would of had that extra sub which we could of done with as we fell deeper and deeper with tired legs.
Yep. Agree with all of that.

Grendel

What's your opinion of Ryan Haynes, Grendel?

Not too hard to work out I'd guess.
Never really liked defenders who don't defend very well.

We've missed stokes as he is a defender. Knows his job and sticks with it. In fairness Kelly Evans looks like he also sticks at his main role

Otis

Not too hard to work out I'd guess.
Never really liked defenders who don't defend very well.

We've missed stokes as he is a defender. Knows his job and sticks with it. In fairness Kelly Evans looks like he also sticks at his main role
He does. He does seem to be the sort of player to get a little overenthusiastic and over commit himself when we are piling forwards, but to be fair to lad he has been very disciplined and not lost track of the need to put his defensive duties first.

rupert_bear

Don't get me wrong I'd take similar performances like yesterday's as frustration as they are if it guaranteed the 30 odd points we need for survival, I was just concerned that Gillingham's tactic change at half time wasn't picked up and counteracted

Warwickhunt

I have to agree with you Steve and it's so good to talk about tactics rather than the thread drifting off. This is how it should be

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

What's your opinion of Ryan Haynes, Grendel?
For what it's worth I think Ryan Haynes best position is a left sided attacking midfielder , with some one like Chris Stokes at left back. :cool:

dongonzalos

Haynes is improving match by match.
All the best attacking full backs have good cover becit from a left midfielder or more often than not a defensive midfielder withba good footballing brain.
Fair play to Foley and Reilly they allowedHaynes to frighten Gillingham it got us the first goal and set the tone for the first half which ultimately won us the game in the end.

no_loyalty

Foley is shit at full back, he is much better as a holding midfielder, not sure if has ever played that position before at other clubs?

Otis

Foley is shit at full back, he is much better as a holding midfielder, not sure if has ever played that position before at other clubs?
He looked so comfortable in that position. I was very surprised, but pleasantly so.

He lost his way a bit in the second half, but I think that was the team as a whole, rather than just him as an individual.

Users who are viewing this thread