Westwood: I won't be bullied (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

55c64bd1-0e22-4ac7-9340-df7523d09494.jpg

Coventry City's Kieren Westwood, who has found himself at the centre of controversy because of his refusal to sign a new contract with the Sky Blues, has spoken for the first time about why he won't sign.
The 25 year old Irish international goal keeper has been consistently linked with moves to other clubs throughout the summer, but nothing came of any of them apart from one bid from Scottish club Glasgow Celtic which was described as derisory by Coventry.
Westwood had asked Coventry last year about negotiating a contract extension, but the club left it until a few months ago to start talking to Westwood and his representatives and this has apparently annoyed Westwood.
Since his refusal to agree to sign the contract, he has been relegated to the bench and on loan Everton 'keeper Iain Turner has taken his place.
Westwood, who is with the republic of Ireland squad preparing for their Group B Euro 2012 qualifying games against Andorra and Armenia, has had personal issues to cope with. He became a father to Caitlin last week and missed the second game of the season at Watford because of a family bereavement.While he is with Ireland he spoke about the controversy surrounding his contract.
Speaking to the Daily Mail, he said, "Six months ago I would have signed a new deal, 12 months ago I was asking for a new deal, and the year before that they promised me a new deal but nothing ever materialised and I don't know why. I want to see how things go but I am being slaughtered in the papers for it like it is my fault. I am being made to look the bad guy which is unfair."
'I was offered a new contract four weeks ago. The manager asked me if I was going to sign and I said no and that is it. I have not asked to leave, I just said I don't want to sign the contract. I love it at the club and that has not changed. I am still committed. The manager asked for an answer, he wanted me to be straight up and honest, which I have been."

'Next thing I know, I am out of the team, and find myself being attacked in the press. I didn't want to get embroiled in this kind of political issue. I have not done one interview all summer, but have kept my mouth shut and wanted to let my performances do the talking."

'I just want to play football but now I am being slated in the papers everyday and I have been dropped for no reason. And enough is enough. I always train hard and work hard and give my best in games. I really don't know what is going to happen. Bullying me is not going to work."
Coventry City manager Aidy Boothroyd, who has both criticised and praised Westwood for his performance is as frustrated as Westwood over the affair and some of his comments have annoyed Westwood.
Boothroyd accused Westwood of inconsistency after the home win over Derby, saying, "'We’ve got two very good goalkeepers, one who’s proved himself to be the best in the division but last week he nearly cost us the game then he won us the game, and I don’t want to work with that inconsistency."
'We’ve got a situation where I want him to sign, his representatives want him to sign, the club and everybody in Coventry wants him to sign but he’s not quite sure yet but he’s not ready, nobody’s come in for him and therefore I’ve got to go with what I think is consistent and settled."

'I want Keiren to play in the Premiership with us but, as good as he is, I’ve got a decision to make before the next game. I have to have a chat with him and find out it he’s part of the future here or not. If he isn’t, we’ll have to deal with it."
Westwood interpreted these comments as a slur on his character saying, "It is a slur on my character.I want to do well for the club but I am not being allowed to do that. I will always be available for selection and I will always perform to my best."
"The manager has said I am the best keeper outside the Premier League and yet he doesn't want to play me. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I am not a bad lad and I train hard everyday. This hurts me because I just want to play. I am not arrogant. Since I was released by City I have worked hard every day, I have played in the conference and I know what it is like to be on £150 a week, so I am not a big-time Charlie."

"I am not going to change because I am out of contract. I know I have to work hard to get where I want to be and that has always driven me and always will or I know I will get nowhere."
With his refusal to sign the new contract, he is now more likely to be leaving Coventry City, probably in the January transfer window.
City chairman Ray Ranson said earlier this year that whatever happened Westwood would not be leaving the club for nothing, but with no serious offers coming in for the player during the summer and with all of the club who have been linked with him finding alternative goal keepers, he is unlikely to be offered the chance to play regular football, therefore putting his international chances in jeopardy

http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/westwood_i_wont_be_bullied_554006/index.shtml

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
Well this is a very big shame. I thought it was thrown around when Coleman was still in charge that we had offered him a new contract? Then when Coleman was sacked RR said he'd been given the go ahead to continue contract negotiations with Keiren?
By the sounds of this interview, nothing like that materialised, and that is the biggest mistake I think we could have made.

It doesn't seem like he's after masses of money going off this interview, so why did we not offer him a contract earlier? Surely we would have wanted to do whatever was in our limits to hold on to him? I know I would have done!

CovKingChris

Facebook User
I support AD, but when he talk's about Keiren being incosistant, then that makes me quite annoyed. 1 mistake he made and then all hell breaks loose. Ian Turner looked very shakey against Millwall although he did mae some fantastic saves. If Westwood doesn't play against Leicester then I'm not sure what to thin as the fans think of this game as the biggest of their season and playing the seconed bast keeper at the club, well, I would be suprised.

Mach1na

1) All of the above is one version of the events.
2) How do we know that the club hasn't done everything in its power to keep him? With our amazing attendances I'm surprised we can even afford to rent the Ricoh.

CovInEssex

Westwood...mate...my good old buddy...chap.

Please sign a new contract! :(

Without Westwood, we go 3 steps backwards as a club.

CurryMonster

by the sounds off that, i think he wont sign a contract and if he doesnt aidy might end up playing turner as our number 1, and letting westwood run his contract out

sy79

Use him and abuse him whilst we've got him and you never know if we place well at the end of the season he might have a change of heart!!!

ccfc luke

Basically he is not going to re-sign, for whatever reason.
I think we may aswell use him whist he's here, if we are to do well this year then we are going to need the best players at the club playing!!

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
We should play him give him back his confidence in the club and show support for him if we lose him i feel we are going backwards and wont do well this season.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Him and his agent can go fuck themselves if i'm being totally honest, Ranson is not going to be bullied around by these two mugs, like he wasn't when Tabb started to demand things he was offered a shitload of money not long back but never signed what does he have to moan about?

It's really has pissed me off this, yes he's good but NO WAY is he irreplaceapble i look forward to waching Turner for the rest of the season as he's not far behind Westwood imo anyway!

I just hope we sell this twat during January as he's only going to lower the squad morale while he is here and good riddance when he does go!

T

TrevorsathisPeake

You can't fault Westwood,he won'ts to play at the top,what can we offer 10K a week max,yet if he moves he'll probably get 30k-60k a week.
What makes me laugh is how he has said he would have signed a new contract had he been offered one a year ago!!!!!! Im sure you would have Keiron,what a load of bull.One thing i will say though is that he's still our player,he's still under contract,so lets play him,why bench him???? If he's in the team we have a better chance (if still very slim) of making the play-offs,and IF we get promoted (VERY BIG IF) he'll probably sign a new contract,as we could give him more money.
If any of us were in the same position we'd all be doing the same.

ccfc luke

As long as westwood doesnt be all negative then i think we should play him until January when we sell him.
Problem is, everyone knows that were gunna have to sell him for peanuts :(

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Ugh for god say Mr Westwood stop whining ! If you sign a contract the press won't slate you ! and the fans certainly won't slate you.

He should sign a contract and the club should give him some money on the side to make up for the bullshit.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
The best thing that can happen now is if possible loan him out to a club with the option of making the move permanent in January, even if it's another Championship club.

Either way he isn't staying here as he has clearly stated he does not want to sign a contract so in my opinion this is the only way we can get some money from it which the club as a whole is probably desperate for. We have signed quite a few new players this summer and haven't sold any so where is the money going to come from to balance the books? The squad is now looking quite big, and I'm slightly worried about that funnily enough. After signing all these players will more fans turn up? No they will find something else to moan about for an excuse as to why they don't show up on Saturday afternoons (excluding fans who can't make it for financial, job, family, long distance travel issues etc - I have no problem with that)

WFC4EVER

Shame for you guys if he does leave...should be getting decent money for him.

Disappointing to hear Aidy is already falling out with players but he does make to have his way and no messing around from the squad which can be a good thing.

I guess its a case of the player and his agent wanting their own way.

T

TrevorsathisPeake

Ive said over and again,he will be here until the end of his contract.Even if someone came in with a £4million bid before then,he doesnt have to leave,even if we except the bid.He will get loads more money leaving at the end of his contract so thats what he will do.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Ive said over and again,he will be here until the end of his contract.Even if someone came in with a £4million bid before then,he doesnt have to leave,even if we except the bid.He will get loads more money leaving at the end of his contract so thats what he will do.

He might have a change of plan now if he is going to be benched all season though? Westwood is a player who wants to develop his career to it's full potential and it certainly will not do him any favours sitting on the bench.

redsox

Facebook User
Westwood...mate...my good old buddy...chap.

Please sign a new contract! :(

Without Westwood, we go 3 steps backwards as a club.

Whilst I have every faith in your abilities Cookie, sadly I think this one may be beyond even you. All of the events and words , both spoken and unspoken , point to the inevitable departure of our man between the sticks. I agree he will be a tough act to follow and can only trust that AB and his team can find a worthy successor. :(

ps please God let me be wrong!!

Either sign the contract on offer, or fuck off. You may be the best keeper outside the PL Keiren, but you're not bigger than the club itself. No player is irreplacable, so if you don't want to sign, leave. We do not have the time to be sorting out a contract for one player, for months and months.

jphccfc

Either sign the contract on offer, or fuck off. You may be the best keeper outside the PL Keiren, but you're not bigger than the club itself. No player is irreplacable, so if you don't want to sign, leave. We do not have the time to be sorting out a contract for one player, for months and months.

Well said! pisses me off when players chase money at the expense of the club that helped make him. He would still get his premiership chance if he signed a contract and in the same time make himself and the club lots of money
He is being greedy!

Disorganised1

One Paper ~ One story ~ I'm glad he's still here at the start of September.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
Ill write trap a letter now to talk to him lol i think hes nuts, hes loved at this club why be such a dick and mess us around when he knows we want him here and maybe damage his career by being put on the bench?

tippex9

Ok, page 1..... The club is a shambles?? we've heard RR's version and now KW's version, either could be true but having the negative fans we do, who take a second to turn on the club, they immediately blame RR. Ridiculous!

I fail to see what difference the timing of a contract offer makes, he's here till the summer anyway. He knew that three years ago. He said he was happy at the club and would like to stay (they all say that) so if they offer a new deal with 12 months remaining or 12 days remaining, the deal is still on the table, if you're happy sign it. Fact is like with people all the way back to Hartson when we when down, its easy to say you want to stay then follow that by saying the club couldnt/wouldnt offer what they deserve.

Westwood is a very self-confident young man and has obviously been courted by prem clubs so I'm sure he decided not to resign a long time ago. If he wants it to be about the money and get 50k on Spurs, Sunderland or Evertons bench every week then what can we do about it. Like has been said, he's not bigger than the club. Players come and go, us and the club will always be here.

I think Westy is the best keeper since Oggy and deserves to be in Prem, I just wish he'd man up and be honest about it because the timing of the offer is nothing short of petty.

However because of the person he is, playing him for the rest of the season is a must. His self belief alone will make him play at his usual high standard, to prove a point and to sell himself. We're paying him, so play him.

T

TrevorsathisPeake

I can't understand the reason for putting someone under contract on the bench.Does it mean that if someone signs a 3year contract,he's gonna be put on the bench for the final year of his contract if he doesnt agree a new one,doesnt make scense.Why not just give him a 5year deal to begin with.
So the next time we sign someone on a 3 year contract,it's only realy a 2year contract and on the bench if you dont stay beyond it!!!! It's all getting boring now isnt it??? He will see his contract out and leave at the end of the season,because thats whats best for him and we'd all do the same.

Disorganised1

Mind games

SkyBlueMania

tippex - the shambles part was in reference to the club not offering him a contract 6 months ago when he was ready to sign one. Yes i agree we can't just pay them whatever they want, but he had proved himself to be a quality player and i think his performances justified a new contract at the time. Instead we hold of for 6 months until he feels like hes not wanted, we then say he's not committed, he then says hes been mistreated and we spiral in to an unworkable relationship that ultimately we lose.

Il Pirata

It doesn't look like he is staying now, which is a shame but life goes on. Perhaps it would have been better if we had sold him this summer rather than the inevitable winter transfer window, as we probably would have earned more from it. We could have taken a PL keeper for the season rather than having a different keeper in goal every week because Westwood is having a bad hair day or his goalkeeper socks clash with his boots. Otherwise maybe he is waiting to see how much we offer King to see if he can match it. All fun and games.

Users who are viewing this thread