Westwood to Sunderland finally confirmed (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

thanks for no transfer fee! :wave:its ok though cos you were honest about screwing us over all along so we fans love you!

Sky Blue Luke

Kept us up for 3 seasons, he deserves premiership football :claping hands:

Can expect everybody to be going on about that new keeper Sunderland have about a month into the season.

Good luck Westy :wave:

Gaz

Sorry to see him go but he is a top bloke and I wish him well in years to come.

Thanks for all your great saves Westy. :)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Good Luck, shame we couldnt get a fee

operationprem

Good luck to westy sorry to see him go, a brilliant servent to our great club.
Without him we would no doubt be watching league 1 rubbish. So many great saves to remember

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
You know what irritates me about all this is the time it has taken and the lack of decisive action. KW said in January he would not sign the contract offered.... I assume he would have given CCFC his own demands at that time. Unless the club matched the demands when AT offered the "3" contracts then it was never going to happen. In the meantime we appear to have been dithering about replacements, which gives other teams the opportunity to nip in on our targets with better offers.

Even now all we have is a CT article that is in part supposition. KW should make a statement out of respect to the fans to the say "thanks & goodbye" and CCFC should get on with things and get a new keeper!. If i am honest I am not overly impressed by either KW or CCFC in this saga. Get it sorted and move on

Good luck to KW at his next club........... but sorry I have to say his performances last season were not that of a top keeper and for that season his mistakes added to the pressure as much as his saves took the pressure away.

Kuklinski

thanks for no transfer fee! :wave:its ok though cos you were honest about screwing us over all along so we fans love you!

If we sign Murphy on a free, does that mean he has screwed Scunthorpe over?

Westwood has been an excellent keeper for us for 3 seasons. He told the club as far back as 6 months ago that he wouldn't be renewing his contract. He was up front and honest, and only an idiot would have thought he would sign a new contract.

Good luck Westy, top man.

skybluesteve76

Mixed feelings about this. Served us well. Was never gonna sign a new deal so not suprised he's gone. I don't wish him luck tho basically cos I don't care enough and think he is actually very replaceable. So let's hope AT pulls his finger out and gets someone in that wants to play for us.....and quickly.

Rich

Mixed feelings about this. Served us well. Was never gonna sign a new deal so not suprised he's gone. I don't wish him luck tho basically cos I don't care enough and think he is actually very replaceable. So let's hope AT pulls his finger out and gets someone in that wants to play for us.....and quickly.

So because you don't care and think he is replaceable, you won't wish him luck in life??

Steve good luck to you because if that's your attitude you must have a poor life.

skybluesteve76

Yeah he served us well. But if he don't wanna play for us anymore I couldn't care less what happens to the bloke. Why would I wish him luck? I don't know him personally.

Rich

And good luck to a guy who served us well, has a young family and is getting on well with his life. I as do most users of this board, wish him well. it would seem that you couldn't care less if he died tomorrow.

rob9872

I was kind of with you until that last bit Rich, he didn't exactly say that either. He is suggesting he is not fussed which I can understand but don't agree with, but is not saying he wishes the lad harm either

Rich

I didn't say that he wishes harm Rob, just that he couldn't care less if something happened to him. My point essentially is while he's away from CCFC and not competing against us or England, I wish him the best of luck and hope that he has a great career.

skybluesteve76

And good luck to a guy who served us well, has a young family and is getting on well with his life. I as do most users of this board, wish him well. it would seem that you couldn't care less if he died tomorrow.

Rich don't be so emotional mate. Course I care if he died tomorrow....he owes me a fiver! The only point I make is that if he doesn't want to play for CCFC anymore then he's not particularly high on my list of priorities. Sorry that it's a different opinion to yours but that's what makes this forum so great.

Rich

Rich don't be so emotional mate. Course I care if he died tomorrow....he owes me a fiver! The only point I make is that if he doesn't want to play for CCFC anymore then he's not particularly high on my list of priorities. Sorry that it's a different opinion to yours but that's what makes this forum so great.

He aint high on my priorities either, but I still wish him well in future. Now I've said that he is off my priority list for good.

skybluesteve76

He aint high on my priorities either, but I still wish him well in future. Now I've said that he is off my priority list for good.

I just think he wouldn't give us lot a second thought mate. Also we've been burnt alot by ex players. Remember when Davenport ran around the ricoh celebrating like he'd won the lottery? Cyrille Regis nearly sending us down? The list is endless. My loyalties stay well and truly in the sky blue camp.

rob9872

From a selfish point of view it's annoying, but we've picked players up on this route as well as having lost them. It's always a risk when you take someone on and another reason to spend within your means, despite us all wanting high profile signings. Some say give them longer more lucrative deals, but there are just as many that you end up stuck with who are not worthy (Kyle, Doyle, Eastwood etc) who continue to bleed you dry because nobody is willing to take them on at the rate they are currently earning. There has to be a balance and contracts should be weighted towards players who back their own ability, with a decreased basic and large bonuses awarded for success.

My take on it is that he was never going to sign. It's disappointing because he was decent and we will undoubtedly be worse off for not having him, although he wasn't worth breaking the bank for.

Neither is Gunnar. The one thing that gets you moving up this league is top drawer regular goalscorers and we had one in Marlon. He may be Judas but he was quality and that is the only area really to gamble.

I'm sure KW will be a top top keeper and will get greater exposure at a club like Sunderland. Imo they are ideal for him. Unlikely to go down but will be at a sizeable club and being watched at the top level consistently. This will offer him the chance of an even bigger move to establish himself as number one at one of the big clubs, which if he had gone direct from us, he would have only been bench-warming.

I agree that last season wasn't his best and I think that is partly down to focus. I'm not suggesting that he wasn't professional, but it must be difficult to maintain 100% when you are going through the motions and looking forward to the season end.

He has all the attributes to be very successful and go right to the top of the game. Some of the saves he pulled off and his ability with one on ones that he foiled were very memorable and I can't think of any comparisons even from my all time idol in big Oggy. Good luck Westy and thanks.

SkyBlue_Bear83

:laugh: lol at all the bitterness from Coventry fans, it was obvious after 6 months of Westwood at the club he would be destined for the premier league and lets be honest we are not getting there any time soon. Good luck to Westwood and I am sure he will make a great premiership keeper. My favourite player in recent times

BenInTurin

Facebook User
I'm glad for him, after all the rumours recently that he would be going up the road to fester or staying in the Championship it is good to hear he's moving upwards and shows it's not just about money.

mattylad

Why can people not accept that he signed a 3 year deal and stayed 3 years? He made it quite clear two years ago that he wanted a new long term contract and the club did not open discussions for another 12 months by which time he said no sorry I am not going to stay because bigger clubs had by then come sniffing. Good Luck Westy will always remmeber you kicking the crap out of the advertising after the Watford game..............

Rich

Nah we tried/hoped to sell him in January if you remember but no-one would buy him.

ajsccfc

Not if we sold him and got £3-6million for him.

And in turn how likely would that have been also?

These hypotheticals are great but there's not much realism involved. Westwood did nothing wrong and hasn't slighted us in any way. He signed a three year contract and three years later is now leaving. We got our money's worth, he's moving on.

I can't see any logical reason why he'd feel a compulsion to essentially trick his future employers out of a few million quid. If anything it'd limit his choices.

Last edited:

Skyblueloyal

Good luck to him, but there will always be others so I not that sad he's gone

Users who are viewing this thread