What is your specialty? (3 Viewers)

Travs

I did A levels, but didn't go to University as quite frankly i didn't know what i wanted to do...

Ended up doing a Mechanical/HVAC Engineering apprenticeship/HNC, and have worked in that industry ever since, from the office side, ie as a Project Manager/QS/Estimator, rather than "on the tools"

Terry Gibson's perm

Honest question do companies check to see if you have the qualifications that you say you have or do they just take as you are telling the truth? I haven’t applied for many jobs over the years as I stopped at one place a long time then got head hunted.

chiefdave

Honest question do companies check to see if you have the qualifications that you say you have or do they just take as you are telling the truth? I haven’t applied for many jobs over the years as I stopped at one place a long time then got head hunted.
Mine have been checked once in over 27 years of working across 8 companies.

SheafIsGod

I taught myself how to code if thats anything? I am now a pen tester but switching jobs to a front end developer in about 3 weeks.

I left school with D's and like 60% attendance.
Interested what websites/courses you used to teach yourself to code if you don't mind sharing? How long was the process? Did you get any qualifications or just build a portfolio of projects to showcase to potential employers?

I've justing started a coding course and wondering if it's worth the time/effort.

shmmeee

Interested what websites/courses you used to teach yourself to code if you don't mind sharing? How long was the process? Did you get any qualifications or just build a portfolio of projects to showcase to potential employers?

I've justing started a coding course and wondering if it's worth the time/effort.

There’s loads, just find one that suits you. Pick a language that’s in demand (C# or Python are good choices, if you want to do web development HTML/CSS/JS) get yourself a GitHub and start building a portfolio. Apply for junior roles, some places will do a technical test to check your knowledge, many won’t.

I know a Polish guy who went from veg picking and warehouse work to development by teaching himself to code. Once he’d got the first job it was no different to someone with a CS degree.

You can learn to code in weeks, it’ll take a lifetime to master. I’d argue people with a grounding in CS will always do better but that’s because I’m an elitist snob with a CS degree :p

Nick

Administrator
The best way to learn to code is just by pissing about and trying things. You aren't going to pick up a book and read it and then be able to.

Brighton Sky Blue

There’s loads, just find one that suits you. Pick a language that’s in demand (C# or Python are good choices, if you want to do web development HTML/CSS/JS) get yourself a GitHub and start building a portfolio. Apply for junior roles, some places will do a technical test to check your knowledge, many won’t.

I know a Polish guy who went from veg picking and warehouse work to development by teaching himself to code. Once he’d got the first job it was no different to someone with a CS degree.

You can learn to code in weeks, it’ll take a lifetime to master. I’d argue people with a grounding in CS will always do better but that’s because I’m an elitist snob with a CS degree :p

A friend of mine coded his own AI to predict football scores. Judging by him not driving around a Ferrari just yet I'm assuming it's still learning the ropes.

shmmeee

A friend of mine coded his own AI to predict football scores. Judging by him not driving around a Ferrari just yet I'm assuming it's still learning the ropes.

Training ML models is a piece of piss, ultimately you need a decent model though and as @Philosorapter will attest that’s very hard in football. I tried it for Bitcoin a while back with zero success.

shmmeee

The best way to learn to code is just by pissing about and trying things. You aren't going to pick up a book and read it and then be able to.

This is good advice. Choose a project and try and build it, each time you’re stuck Google for an answer and you’ll learn loads.

I’d still argue a good Dev needs a certain level of technical understanding though. I’ve worked with a few self taught devs and you can usually tell because they have a surface level understanding of what they’re doing or just really bad habits like not naming your variables properly or being massively inefficient.

stay_up_skyblues

giphy.gif

GitHub 🤣

Nick

Administrator
This is good advice. Choose a project and try and build it, each time you’re stuck Google for an answer and you’ll learn loads.

I’d still argue a good Dev needs a certain level of technical understanding though. I’ve worked with a few self taught devs and you can usually tell because they have a surface level understanding of what they’re doing or just really bad habits like not naming your variables properly or being massively inefficient.

Yep, have something that you are interested in and figure out what you want to make.

Think I started off years ago with "guestbook" type thing when websites had those which was simple Insert / Select from a mySQL database with PHP.

Kieranp96

Youtube and i found some good people on coding discords that helped me, also used odin project and i purchased a few crappy ones tgat didn't really work, i have a portfolio on github that shows my projects and websites/apps i have built i also have a very good refrence from a reputable coder ( my uncle who has 35 years in coding) obviously my uncle helped me also gave me books to read, i also purchased (head first book series) and honestly best books i read.

Philosorapter

GitHub is excellent.

All community driven.

Philosorapter

Just for curiosity, for those wondering. Yes, Glicko-2 does predict results. However, I don't share these parts of things because it doesn't interest me. I really don't encourage any kind of gambling. It is though up to 10% more accurate then ELO on predicting results.

Philosorapter

I did test the algorithm in the predicition league here a few years back before I took it to the Match Thread.

It did beat most of you :)

Astute though is as hard as nails.

Have every respect for him when he talks about football.

He knows his stuff.

skybluetony176

Ask me any question about F1 from 1990 onwards and il get it right
Which driver tested for a top formula one team beating their current (at the time) top drivers including a world champions times but failed to get a permanent drive in F1 despite succeeding massively at lower formulas competing and dancing rings around a multiple to be F1 world champion widely regarded as one of the greatest drivers of all time. Extra clue. He was Irish and most people will never have heard of him.

Maxxx17

When I went to university, I only did it because I wanted to get a higher education. After all, it was the most important thing for me. There is a lot of documentation to fill out almost every day. Of course, the stress was enough for me. Until I found a solution to turn to the best essay editing service, where they double-check all my papers. And I turned them in with a perfect score. So don't feel bad. All situations are solvable. The main thing is to find a reasonable way out of them. I think that many people don't work on their diplomas. They get it just to have it.

Sick Boy

When I went to university, I only did it because I wanted to get a higher education. After all, it was the most important thing for me. There is a lot of documentation to fill out almost every day. Of course, the stress was enough for me. Until I found a solution to turn to the best essay editing service, where they double-check all my papers. And I turned them in with a perfect score. So don't feel bad. All situations are solvable. The main thing is to find a reasonable way out of them. I think that many people don't work on their diplomas. They get it just to have it.
You’re pretty shit at link building.

pipkin73

I left school in the late 80's, i had ABC in (can't remember). My school wanted me to stay on to sixth form (as my grades were so good), but i had already got a job at Peugeot (family all worked their so i just followed).
At Peugeot i done light vehicle body repairs, welding, paint spraying, lead loading etc and loads of other things (got my paperwork but god knows where it is now).
I got loads of in-house promotions, i was programing/checking the spot welding guns (including the robots) and if wrong changing the programs (out house you needed a college degree to get that job).
If a break down, i had to get the machinery/robot working again. (Peugeot went 4 shifts, 24/7 my boss made me work the weekend shift, as it was the only place i would be ok with my back. (In his words i work mentally not physically, bull, i had to replace heavy welding guns if not working right) and fast as every minute they were stopped cost them thousands.
I got so good at it that line workers (i was one of them) would huff when i went to repair something as they knew they would have to start working again soon.
When Peugeot closed, i had no paperwork for anything i had been doing. With no paperwork no one would give me a job plus i had a knackered back (and still have).
That made me move abroad, with the heat i fealt less pain.
I brought an advertising company, got ripped off for thousands (if any of you move abroad and want to buy a business,
PAY THE LEGAL COSTS), and get the business checked out. I LOST OVER 40k as i was to trusting. The printers i brought were on loan. a few months after buying the business Canon were on my case for unpaid payments for the printers.

Users who are viewing this thread