When All This Is Over ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

This virus and lockdown will all be over one day, and the sooner the better.
But do you think it will have changed our thinking, and will we never really be the same again ? Those of us who like a drink will go to the pub again , and obviously I for one can't wait to go to a football match. But will we carry on with the constant hand washing, be wary standing too close to people ? This virus and lockdown may have mentally changed us for years to come. Time will tell !

clint van damme

But do you think it will have changed our thinking, and will we never really be the same again ? Those of us who like a drink will go to the pub again , and obviously I for one can't wait to go to a football match. But will we carry on with the constant hand washing, be wary standing too close to people ? This virus and lockdown may have mentally changed us for years to come. Time will tell !

I've always found south east Asian.people wearing face masks strange but I think that could become the norm and will fuck the old bill up when they're scanning CCTV after a row at the football!

I actually said the the wife last night if you have to wear a mask in the pub will you have to loft it to sip your drink than put it back in position?!

I definitely think life will change for good after this

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think short-term people will be a bit more careful but will slowly go back to old habits. Esp when renewed work pressures and the economic situation take precedence and time becomes a precious commodity. Might see a few more facemasks being worn as the norm and more homeworking but that's it long term. Even politically by the time of the next election it'll be 'cuts needed and voting down pay increases for health workers'. All will be forgotten

I'd love it to be a major catalyst for change but it won't be. Cleaner air, less rubbish, quieter.

But most of all you'd hope to see a major change in priorities and way of life. That our entire economic system could be close to collapse in three months shows it lacks resilience and the ability to adapt. It is far too focused on certain aspects but rather than recognise the need to diversify and change it'll just be pump money into the bits that can't cope and carry on. Too many individual vested interests with clout to actually change a system that has shown it's built on sand.

bringbackrattles

I've always found south east Asian.people wearing face masks strange but I think that could become the norm and will fuck the old bill up when they're scanning CCTV after a row at the football!

I actually said the the wife last night if you have to wear a mask in the pub will you have to loft it to sip your drink than put it back in position?!

I definitely think life will change for good after this
Where I'm currently staying in the city centre there is a large Chinese population. Nearly all of them walk about wearing masks.You see them also wearing gloves, like a zombie movie ! But there's a woman in the block I'm in goes outside to smoke.
Nothing odd about that, but as she wears a mask all the time she lowers it to puff away, then chips her fag and puts the mask back up. That gives me a laugh as surely that defeats the reason for wearing one ?

Terry Gibson's perm

Not a lot will change as we will go back / continue being reliant on the Chinese when this was a chance to start using other things or making them ourselves, China should be getting a huge bill at the end of this from the rest of the world as although they don’t seem to believe it they have caused all this.

clint van damme

Not a lot will change as we will go back / continue being reliant on the Chinese when this was a chance to start using other things or making them ourselves, China should be getting a huge bill at the end of this from the rest of the world as although they don’t seem to believe it they have caused all this.

Is it usual for the country a virus emulated from to pay compensation?
Did America pay compensation for swine flu?

Terry Gibson's perm

Is it usual for the country a virus emulated from to pay compensation?
Did America pay compensation for swine flu?

I have no idea but who writes the rules but they have caused huge damage to lives and economies so should pay up.

Sky Blue Harry H

I have to take a stroll each day to sort out domestics for my father in law (dementia). I say hello to strangers more than before en route. I have also noticed how much more peaceful and quiet everywhere is. Reminds me why city people/townsfolk like to 'escape to the country'. People will have had a lot of thinking time on their hands to think about what is important in their lives.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Where I'm currently staying in the city centre there is a large Chinese population. Nearly all of them walk about wearing masks.You see them also wearing gloves, like a zombie movie ! But there's a woman in the block I'm in goes outside to smoke.
Nothing odd about that, but as she wears a mask all the time she lowers it to puff away, then chips her fag and puts the mask back up. That gives me a laugh as surely that defeats the reason for wearing one ?

You've hit the nail on the head yet again, BBR! The vast majority don't actually KNOW why they are wearing them, HOW to wear them properly to protect themselves, and what TYPE of mask to wear in the first place. Just provide a false sense of security in most cases.

bringbackrattles

You've hit the nail on the head yet again, BBR! The vast majority don't actually KNOW why they are wearing them, HOW to wear them properly to protect themselves, and what TYPE of mask to wear in the first place. Just provide a false sense of security in most cases.
I saw on the T.V. a doctor saying masks won't stop you getting the virus.In fact they are designed to stop a person from spreading the disease, not catching it. A young Chinese couple walked past me the other day, both had big white masks on, both with bright blue gloves on , but holding hands and shoulder to shoulder.
It looked like an advert for how to be safe and unsafe at the same time !

Ccfcsj

Don't drink or smoke so nothing will change there for me. The only thing that will probably be changing is my address - people are aware of the troubles I've had (in the 'are you happy' thread) so the first thing I'll be doing once the lockdown is lifted is get my house valued and on the market so I can move.
Apart from that it will be back to life as normal (if my life ever was normal)

fernandopartridge

I saw on the T.V. a doctor saying masks won't stop you getting the virus.In fact they are designed to stop a person from spreading the disease, not catching it. A young Chinese couple walked past me the other day, both had big white masks on, both with bright blue gloves on , but holding hands and shoulder to shoulder.
It looked like an advert for how to be safe and unsafe at the same time !

TBF there is some value in stopping the wearer spreading disease, especially you can spread it without showing symptoms.

clint van damme

Purely anecdotal but countries lime Slovakia and Turkey have made mask wearing compulsory and have not been hit as badly as us. Of course this could be down to other measures they've introduced.
I know both countries were quick to halt international flights

OffenhamSkyBlue

TBF there is some value in stopping the wearer spreading disease, especially you can spread it without showing symptoms.
Exactly this - but people believe that it will stop them getting it. I'm not entirely convinced that the PHE guidance to primary care staff is necessarily 100% accurate, and not even medics and nurses understand the differences between different mask types. In order to be protected against airborne or droplet-borne particles, any mask has to form a seal to the wearer's face all the way around, which is why they are told to wear that type (FFP3 respirator, in technical jargon) in ICUs and when conducting procedures that are likely to generate aerosols. If they are not fitted to an individual's face (and most people will NOT have been due to lack of time and resource), they will NOT do their job properly. Surgical masks are not designed to be fitted to the face, and there are gaps all the way round, through which the infectious material can be breathed in.
The other thing about FFP3 respirators is that while the material of the mask filters the incoming air to protect the wearer, most of them have a one-way valve which prevents the wearer suffocating - this can permit the expulsion of droplets by the mask-wearer, which is why you sometimes see doctors, etc wearing an FFP3 mask with a surgical mask over the top (to protect the patient and others).

TomRad85

We’ll go back to how we were but I wish we’d keep the working from home and general local community spirit.
Do you like working from home full time? I worked home/office about 50/50 before this but actually I'm finding working from home full time a little depressing. Would like to speak to other adult humans that aren't my wife.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Do you like working from home full time? I worked home/office about 50/50 before this but actually I'm finding working from home full time a little depressing. Would like to speak to other adult humans that aren't my wife.

Eh, I have several video calls each day and TBH I work in an environment where pretty much everyone is in their headphones and laptops most of the day cos you need to focus. I’d rather talk to my kids and mates than my coworkers.

bringbackrattles

Going back window cleaning tomorrow. See how it goes ? Been told that outdoor work is safe in the current crisis ? Some customers I reckon will be pleased to see me, but others might think has he lost the plot ! I work on my own so I can just do my job, get paid, and move on.

shmmeee

Going back window cleaning tomorrow. See how it goes ? Been told that outdoor work is safe in the current crisis ? Some customers I reckon will be pleased to see me, but others might think has he lost the plot ! I work on my own so I can just do my job, get paid, and move on.

Can you take cashless payment mate? Might be an idea, or let people run up a tab or something. Other than that I don’t see what you’ve got to worry about other than hurting old ladies feelings when you turn down a cuppa.

TomRad85

Eh, I have several video calls each day and TBH I work in an environment where pretty much everyone is in their headphones and laptops most of the day cos you need to focus. I’d rather talk to my kids and mates than my coworkers.
Fair enough, doesn't sound like you gain much from being in an office. Maybe your employers will be open to you working from home more, assuming you've demonstrated it makes no difference where you do your work from. Probably best to have the chat pretty quickly after this is all over, strike while the iron is hot.

TomRad85

Ours came 2 days ago, we never see him anyway. Just sends a reminder he's coming then a reminder to bank transfer when he's done. If you work in a similar manner you've got nothing to worry about.

bringbackrattles

Ours came 2 days ago, we never see him anyway. Just sends a reminder he's coming then a reminder to bank transfer when he's done. If you work in a similar manner you've got nothing to worry about.

I've got regular customers of many years, always pay by cash. Like I wrote earlier I'll see how it goes ? After all this virus and lockdown eases things may change.
We are heading towards a cashless society, so paying by cash everywhere may become obsolete.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I have quiet enjoyed the lockdown, although I have asked to work from home on 2 occasions but prefer to be office based as I am too easily distracted at home

fernandopartridge

Same as, enjoying no commute but want to break the week up a bit, I've not left the small ish town i live in for 5 weeks now

TomRad85

Same as, enjoying no commute but want to break the week up a bit, I've not left the small ish town i live in for 5 weeks now
Always thought working from home full time was the dream but it really isn't is it. Turns out the split that I had in place already is pretty much perfect.

clint van damme

Always thought working from home full time was the dream but it really isn't is it. Turns out the split that I had in place already is pretty much perfect.

my dream to work from home but perhaps not it's all it's cracked up to be.

TomRad85

my dream to work from home but perhaps not it's all it's cracked up to be.
Nope, although I guess not being able to go out in your free time isn't helping either. I'm having more conversations with the cat than I'd care to admit.

Sky Blue Harry H

Nope, although I guess not being able to go out in your free time isn't helping either. I'm having more conversations with the cat than I'd care to admit.

Would have thought that was purrfect - I'll get my coat (although I've got nowhere to go with it!)

Gazolba

I'll be keeping away from people coughing or sneezing.
Will not shake hands with anyone (no more job interviews planned).
Will avoid large groups of people where possible.
Actually most of that I was doing before this virus anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread