Where have you been? (1 Viewer)

Where have you been?

• Total voters

NorthernWisdom

Off the back of the City of Culture thread, here are eight places. Just wondering which you've been to. Hopefully(!) the vote allows for multiple choices.

Nick

Administrator
2 out of that list.

Hadn't heard of Weaver's house or St Catherine's well.

Just googled St Catherine's Well though - St Catherine's Well, Coundon - Seems I drive by it most days!

For the airport museum, you really have to be into planes I guess. Cost us about £15 to get in and it was literally a few planes parked up. We justified it by having a hot drink there so we weren't literally back out within 10 minutes and then ended up spending even more. It was one of the strangest things ever. Worlds apart from the transport museum where you don't have to be into cars to enjoy it.

Otis

Only two unfortunately. Was down to go to the Weavers House on the last open day and had it down on my calendar, but completely forgot.

Have meant to go to the watch museum too, but I do keep seeing them at events here and there. Still no excuse. I love my history and I love Coventry's history too.

I have heard of At Catherine's Well, but didn't know where it was.

Think on that list you should have also included St. Mary's Guildhall and the Roman fort and the old grammar school, cos I've been to all them. Charterhouse too, which hopefully is going to be well worth a visit soon. And if any have seen the Doom painting in Holy Trinity Church.

Grendel

The watch museum sounds as exciting as the pencil museum in the Lake District.

Astute

Thought you would have liked the pencil museum as kids love it.

Just the art gallery for me. But lost count how many times I have been to the motor museum. Even the kids love it there.

Otis

The watch museum sounds great. I guess it all depends if you are fascinated by Coventry's history or not. I am guessing not in your case, cos all you do is slate the place.

As I said before, I have not the slightest interest in cars, but love the transport museum. I am not bothered by watches either, but I bet the watch museum is really interesting.

It's all about history.

Nick

Administrator
The watch museum sounds great. I guess it all depends if you are fascinated by Coventry's history or not. I am guessing not in your case, cos all you do is slate the place.

As I said before, I have not the slightest interest in cars, but love the transport museum. I am not bothered by watches either, but I bet the watch museum is really interesting.

It's all about history.

It depends how good it is, as I said above you have to be into Planes to be interested in the plane museum. If the watch museum is just the same as that but random watches scattered about then it doesn't matter where it is.

If the car museum was charging you £7 each and was just 15 cars parked up in a field it would be pretty shite too.

Otis

It depends how good it is, as I said above you have to be into Planes to be interested in the plane museum. If the watch museum is just the same as that but random watches scattered about then it doesn't matter where it is.

If the car museum was charging you £7 each and was just 15 cars parked up in a field it would be pretty shite too.
I disagree to a point. I would just go and spend less time there. I would guess if the watch museum is small (guessing it is), I would just assume to spend a lot less time there.

Same as when I went down London the other week. Like history, not so bothered about science, so spent two hours in the Natural History Museum and just half an hour in the Science Museum.

I still wanted to go to the Science Museum because there, there was history.

Anything from the past I find quite interesting, because then you see how people used to live.

If it's just a few watches, I still want to go and look at those few watches. If it means my trip round is only 15 mins then so be it.

I would also go to the 'plane' museum as you call it. I would also go to a Frank Whittle exhibition, despite my having not the slightest bit of interest in jet engines. I don't think you need to be interested in planes at all to go to a museum all about planes.

Nick

Administrator
But then surely it depends on how engaging it is?

Just because something is in Coventry doesn't automatically make it good. A few planes parked up outside with an entrance fee would be awful and not very engaging to most unless they had an interest in planes. We came out of there feeling absolutely robbed, it was that bad. It's not really designed for people who aren't hardcore plane fanatics.

You go in the transport museum and you don't have to like cars, it's engaging and interactive and you can quite happily donate some money. Even if you go every couple of months it doesn't get boring.

We went to the MAD Museum in Stratford not so long ago and that was fantastic too, nowhere near the obvious budget from grants as the motor museum but just as engaging and interesting and well worth the entrance fee.

Same with the Natural History Museum, you walk round it and everything is exciting even if you have been there before.

Otis

Yeah, agree, but I don't think we can just look at plane and pencil museums and assume they are boring. Like you say, they need to make it interesting.

Example: 'This aircraft engine is blah blah blah size and has blah blah blah pistons etc.' Boring for me.

Add to that though, 'And this plane was used in the Battle of Britain, defending against the Germans' and it suddenly becomes a lot less boring and pricks my interest.

Pencil museum? Sounds boring, but if they showed me the pencil that was used to sign the American Declaration of Independence, or there was the one Joe Orton used when writing 'What the Butler Saw' then again I am suddenly more interested.

There needs to be tangible history and then it is interesting.

Otis

Can I just add, I am pretty sure the Declaration of American Independence wasn't signed with a pencil.

Much more likely to have been a crayon or biro.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah, agree, but I don't think we can just look at plane and pencil museums and assume they are boring. Like you say, they need to make it interesting.

Example: 'This aircraft engine is blah blah blah size and has blah blah blah pistons etc.' Boring for me.

Add to that though, 'And this plane was used in the Battle of Britain, defending against the Germans' and it suddenly becomes a lot less boring and pricks my interest.

Pencil museum? Sounds boring, but if they showed me the pencil that was used to sign the American Declaration of Independence, or was houses by Joe Orton when writing 'What the Butler Saw' then again I am suddenly interested.

There needs to be tangible history and then it is interesting.

Well yes it depends how it is thought out and presented.

If for example you go there and you can make your own pencil, try how they did it in olden days then it is suddenly interactive. If they have loads of pencils scattered about with labels on them that mean nothing, then you will be bored within seconds.

The Herbert is another example, we went to the Dinosaur thing a while back and it was awful. The lego thing was a bit better, the viking thing a bit pants. Go downstairs into the bit about Coventry and it's interactive and engaging and you can go round it multiple times and not be bored.

Otis

Well yes it depends how it is thought out and presented.

If for example you go there and you can make your own pencil, try how they did it in olden days then it is suddenly interactive. If they have loads of pencils scattered about with labels on them that mean nothing, then you will be bored within seconds.

The Herbert is another example, we went to the Dinosaur thing a while back and it was awful. The lego thing was a bit better, the viking thing a bit pants. Go downstairs into the bit about Coventry and it's interactive and engaging and you can go round it multiple times and not be bored.
Yeah, I didn't think much to the dinosaur one. Just found it dull.

Did you ever get to see The History of Us? One whole gallery documenting the history of the world by a street artist.

It was so humourous. I went 3 times to see that.

Nick

Administrator
The transport museum can't do half what it wants to do, as it doesn't have the resources.

There can always be more, but as it is it is still really good and engaging. Could quite happily walk round it a few times a year without being bored.

Nick

Administrator
Wait till they need to change the displays, or host a new temporary exhibition, or do something with the old Grammar School building... and they have to start from scratch because they don't have the cash to do the groundwork.

Or when projects already done die a death because there's no cash to maintain them.

Doesn't just apply to the Transport Museum of course. You talk about engaging... far better to do with funding, and an economic boost.

Yes but then again it's not all about having loads of money to make it engaging.

Obviously ploughing millions in for fancy screens, lighting, glittery floors etc makes it more appealing to some, we have been to some pretty "bad" places that have still been engaging simply by them handing out a sheet of paper with things to find as you go round to get a lolly at the end.

That's for things that are "already done", so if it's a monument that needs restoring then it would need the money to even make it an "attraction".

Corrado

It's all about history.
Its actually quite interesting - for me especially as there is abit of history about my house - built by (for) a watchmaker in 1895 and used for his workshop. It has a blue plaque now and is part of the watchmakers trail.

Love abit of history.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I must admit, it's quite funny seeing you complain about ticket prices for once!

Come on Nick, the admission is competitively priced with other airfields! Just take a packed lunch next time and be more efficient with your spending!

Users who are viewing this thread