Which is the worst sport to watch as a spectator? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Been watching the Open on the TV. The thought though of being there in person bores me to death and makes me shudder at the very thought of it.

Must be one of the worst ever sports to be a spectator at surely. So much going on, some many competitors over 18 holes, can't watch it all. Can't even see a fraction of what is occurring.

What do most people do at golf tournaments? Do they stick to one hole and watch all the golfers, or do they follow one group? Be interested to know.

Also think motor racing must be incredibly boring too as a spectator. I don't like the sport anyway, but at least on the TV you can watch the race unfold in its entirety. If you are actually there surely you only see a fraction of the action don't you?

This is therefore not about 'bad' sports as such, just those where as a spectator your experience can be diminished.

I feel the same about cricket. I can watch a test match on the box, but would never ever consider going. The thought of 7 hours sitting in a plastic seat watching a game that can go from exciting to incredibly dull and boring in an instant and then stay boring for hours at a time puts me right off.

I love the TV, switch it on, switch it off, rewind, fast forwards.

The amount of people I see asleep or nodding off at the cricket is incredible.

I think watching a marathon in person I would find really dull too.

With football and rugby and boxing etc you see the whole spectacle unfold before your very eyes and if you sit in the right place in the stadium you pretty much don't miss anything.

So, not worst sports, but which ones you feel are the worst from a spectator point of view.

Can't see me ever going to a cricket match other than a 20/20, which is obviously a much more condensed, shorter format of the game.

Golf just doesn't appeal to me at all even though I like the game. Maybe the Ryder Cup. Think that would be about it.

There are sports I like and can happily watch on TV, but wouldn't dream of going to see in person. Am I alone in that thinking?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I've been to a fair few different sports & without the worst standard/quality of sport I've seen was the GB v Canada women's Olympic quarter final at the Ricoh!

And I've seen some appalling football player at the Ricoh down the years.

Haven't been too put F1, Golf & Snooker I could not do.

I your note of Test cricket I've spent weeks of my life watching it from the stadium including 4 days straight in Melbourne in a small plastic seat but it's amazing how comfy and enjoyable it is when England are hammering the Aussies.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I'd imagine the darts
If you are going just to watch it would be a nightmare you'd spend most of your time watching the big screen so you might as well be at home
Then have some drunk tw8t dressed up as a minion dancing about the place

kdrinkell

I've been to a fair few different sports & without the worst standard/quality of sport I've seen was the GB v Canada women's Olympic quarter final at the Ricoh!

And I've seen some appalling football player at the Ricoh down the years.

Haven't been too put F1, Golf & Snooker I could not do.

That wasn't a bad game from my memory and the Canadian subs were eye candy iirc also F1 is good as you have screens showing any other action but golf and snooker must be awful
I'd imagine the darts
If you are going just to watch it would be a nightmare you'd spend most of your time watching the big screen so you might as well be at home
Daz you are getting old :D

Sky_Blue_Daz

That wasn't a bad game from my memory and the Canadian subs were eye candy iirc also F1 is good as you have screens showing any other action but golf and snooker must be awful

Daz you are getting old :D
Possibly yes

Otis

Darts I would imagine is as much about the beer though isn't it?

Cross country? I would guess anything where competitors are just coming past you and you are not seeing the whole event unfolding.

That surely diminishes your experience.

CJ_covblaze

Also think motor racing must be incredibly boring too as a spectator. I don't like the sport anyway, but at least on the TV you can watch the race unfold in its entirety. If you are actually there surely you only see a fraction of the action don't you?

I feel the same about cricket. I can watch a test match on the box, but would never ever consider going. The thought of 7 hours sitting in a plastic seat watching a game that can go from exciting to incredibly dull and boring in an instant and then stay boring for hours at a time puts me right off.

Try watching from pit lane. Some people have said to me how lucky I am that I get to do it. Despite being at dozens of Moto GP BSB and WSBK races each year I've never really seen any racing at all. Just a blur of colour wiz past every minute or two. Then straight after I'd have to stand in front of a crowd of people and do a corner by corner assessment of the race! Work that one out.

As for Cricket I'd rather sit there for five days watching a Test than for a couple of hours watching them run around in their pyjamas. Don't get me wrong I'll watch it, it just isn't proper cricket.

I'd imagine the darts

Why anyone would want to attend a sports event in any kind of fancy dress is beyond me. Doesn't make any sense.

Otis

Try watching from pit lane. Some people have said to me how lucky I am that I get to do it. Despite being at dozens of Moto GP BSB and WSBK races each year I've never really seen any racing at all. Just a blur of colour wiz past every minute or two. Then straight after I'd have to stand in front of a crowd of people and do a corner by corner assessment of the race! Work that one out.

As for Cricket I'd rather sit there for five days watching a Test than for a couple of hours watching them run around in their pyjamas. Don't get me wrong I'll watch it, it just isn't proper cricket.

Why anyone would want to attend a sports event in any kind of fancy dress is beyond me. Doesn't make any sense.
Why not, when you have a team that perform like clowns at times?

Terry Gibson's perm

Sorry CJ but ice hockey for me I went to watch Edmonton Oilers when I was in Canada against somebody a really dull event.

Terry Gibson's perm

Better on TV, or are you just saying you don't like ice hockey?

Not a big fan Otis but better on tv too hard to keep up with the puck in my advancing years. As I am finding in my cricket comeback my eyes are a lot worse than when I last played four years ago.

CJ_covblaze

Why not, when you have a team that perform like clowns at times?

That is a good point. On second thoughts we should've all dressed like hedgehogs after December last season.

CJ_covblaze

Terry Gibson's perm

That's because you watched the Oilers.

Didn't have a lot of option somebody had bought me a ticket can't remember who they played, bit difficult to travel to watch somebody else when the temperature was minus 25, bought a jersey for my little girl and it still looks brand new today amazing quality. Although the game was not fantastic the event it is very good and well organised they even have a tube/train station just outside the stadium and people are allowed to use it.

Alkhen

Watched the tour of Britain go pass once. Dull as it comes. Can't see how people pay to go to france and 'watch' the tour zzzzzzz

Last edited:

Otis

Cycling, Golf, Tennis + Darts. Makes me fall asleep ASAP.

American football.
Ahh, but now aren't we just getting into sports we don't like?

I'm talking about sports that are poor from a spectator point of view. Ones where you can't see what's going on, or you don't see the whole thing, or you're too far away, or get in the right position for etc.

Seems to me with the Open that the people there are only seeing a tiny percentage of the actual action.

I guess cycling is another one unless it is in a velodrome.

There's a number of sports that you get a much fuller picture from your armchair.

Is it all about the buzz of being there?

When I watch cricket I see loads of people either asleep, not watching the action or just wandering about. I'm sure some just head to the bars.

Think that only happens with football if it is a really, really boring game or you are losing badly.

With cricket, though I like it, I am guessing a test match it is about 2 hours of excitement and 5 hours of dullness on a typical day's play.

Don't think I have ever watched a full day's play. Always end up flicking channels and coming back to it, or recording it and then fast forwarding to the good bits.

Think with cricket too, because the action switches from end to end it must be very difficult to get the best view. TV can obviously just alternate cameras.

Liquid Gold

I used to live on the route of the London marathon and it's actually quite a laugh. The streets are packed early and it's like a carnival atmosphere, lots of parties along the route and cheering the random participants on, encouraging the struggling ones (sometimes taking the piss). I recommend it highly.

Otis

I used to live on the route of the London marathon and it's actually quite a laugh. The streets are packed early and it's like a carnival atmosphere, lots of parties along the route and cheering the random participants on, encouraging the struggling ones (sometimes taking the piss). I recommend it highly.
Yeah, accept that.

That does sound more exciting than just standing by a hole for several hours watching people taking golf shots and not having too much idea where the ball has landed.

stupot07

Crickets pretty good to watch live, especially if you're side on to the wicket. Don't knock it until you've tried it! Plenty of beer, food, its quite socialable especially if we're playing the Aussies you get some good banter going.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

Crickets pretty good to watch live, especially if you're side on to the wicket.

County? Test?

Just seem to see a lot of people looking bored and either asleep, disinterested, chatting, reading a book etc.

stupot07

County? Test?

Just seem to see a lot of people looking bored and either asleep, disinterested, chatting, reading a book etc.
Test and odi, all that you mention above is part of the appeal, its a very sociable game to go and watch, especially if you're going in a group of friends.

I've only watched county cricket twice, both times were at local grounds - saw warne playing for lancashire at Liverpool cricket ground. The crowd were signing who ate all the pies haha

Otis

I do like cricket, but find there can be great chunks of dullness in between the exciting bits.

Terry Gibson's perm

As a spectator sport it has to be darts as you can't seem to see the board and have to watch the tv and can do that at home, never been though and never want to

bringbackrattles

Golf,Motor Racing,Bowls,Cricket,Squash,and Swimming, all tedious to watch in my opinion.
In fact most sport bores me to watch on the telly,but all sport playing and competing is great and I'd rather be involved myself than sitting bored to tears.In the pub last night a group of people were watching the cycling on a big screen how depressing is that ? Then again I watched England games there recently so who am I to judge !

Philosorapter

Sport has always been a substitute for war. I guess some people like their analytics on a battlefield in front of them to see what's going on. Others, just happy to be part of the event.

CCFC Germany

Ahh, but now aren't we just getting into sports we don't like?

I'm talking about sports that are poor from a spectator point of view. Ones where you can't see what's going on, or you don't see the whole thing, or you're too far away, or get in the right position for etc.

Seems to me with the Open that the people there are only seeing a tiny percentage of the actual action.

I guess cycling is another one unless it is in a velodrome.

There's a number of sports that you get a much fuller picture from your armchair.

Is it all about the buzz of being there?

When I watch cricket I see loads of people either asleep, not watching the action or just wandering about. I'm sure some just head to the bars.

Think that only happens with football if it is a really, really boring game or you are losing badly.

With cricket, though I like it, I am guessing a test match it is about 2 hours of excitement and 5 hours of dullness on a typical day's play.

Don't think I have ever watched a full day's play. Always end up flicking channels and coming back to it, or recording it and then fast forwarding to the good bits.

Think with cricket too, because the action switches from end to end it must be very difficult to get the best view. TV can obviously just alternate cameras.

I got your question, but I think I still got the answer right on my point of view, as all of the sports I mentioned are pretty dull / hard to watch in my eyes, as there's not much "happening"...

Terry Gibson's perm

I can't imagine chess would be a riveting watch and anything that you stop in an area but there is a lot going on elsewhere like F1

Gazolba

Worst sport to watch on TV for me is motor racing. Nothing ever happens. All you see is cars zooming by. Makes you want to wish for some spectacular crash - which of course is very unfortunate.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember watching a "Fishathon" on Sky Sports once. But even as a keen angler myself, I struggled to get enthralled! :(

Users who are viewing this thread