Which is the worst sport to watch as a spectator? (1 Viewer)

Philosorapter

I can't imagine chess would be a riveting watch and anything that you stop in an area but there is a lot going on elsewhere like F1

Quick story:

I use to be an administrator on an Internet chess server a few moons back and the bloke that was administrating the computer cheating on the server was himself caught cheating at the World Open. That one made The New York Times/International Herald Tribune.

Steve Rosenberg: you will never be forgotten.

I guess if you was in the audience that could of been a bit of fun!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/08/world/americas/08iht-web.0808cheat.2418193.html

Last edited:

Covstu

Been to golf a few times, it's a good day. Generally follow some one around for a few holes and then settle somewhere usually close to a bar. Been to France three times for the tour, okay you see about 30 seconds and that's your lot but it's the event before it, the atmosphere and the fact that I love cycling. I totally understand why people wouldn't be interested but I think until you participate in a sport then you appreciate how the pros perform I.e. How accurate a golfer is or how damn fast a pro cyclist is up a big fecking hill that has just took you 30 mins to get up!

Not interested in motor sports so don't see the point of a bloke it a faster car that everyone else winning all the time kick in F1 but I am sure any proper enthusiast can explain why they watch it and probably pay a lot of money to do so.

Covstu

I think you'll find it's not quite that simple? :)
This is my point dutch! Don't know enough about it to have an informed view and equally don't care. For me it looks like it would always be Hamilton and his mate to win the whole thing every year due to the car, if Hamilton moved team he probably wouldn't win it, if you say its different to that then I would accept your answer as I am sure you are more informed on this topic.

Monners

Tennis - enjoy playing though
F1 - over rated hyperbole - all about money.Although I did see Mansel win a t Silverstone in 1987 which was good, but a fluke entertainment wise I suspect
Darts - I like to play but dull to watch
Basketball - what is the point, although the boy plays it an really enjoys it
Kabadi - a bit of niche sport one suspects
oh yeah - cycling - this beats the lot

CCFC88

I enjoy going to:
Darts- have been to Ally Pally the last 3 years and I will continue to go as long as I live, we had a table about 3 from the front last year and yes, you still have to watch it on the big screen but the atmosphere and suspense during the crunch period are as exciting as watching live sport comes, being highly liquidated helps also.
Tennis (Mens) - The sheer speed that they hit the ball, athletism and endurance is unbelievable.
Cricket - Test & ODI, you can dip in and out, go to the bar without worrying about missing a moment that could make or break a match, T20 been at home and in Australia, rules heavily in favour of the batters means big hits and more big hits. I saw Mr CH Gayle hit the fastest 50, from 12 balls.
Football - Never leave my seat during a game as any small incident can change a game.
Rugby League - Fast, exciting and great atmosphere usually

I didnt enjoy going to:
Any female sport I have had to watch, mainly tennis.
Baseball - Very dull, sat there for 4 hours and the score finished 1-0, you cant see the variations of balls being thrown
Ice Hockey - Sheffield v Cov in a playoff game a few years back in Sheff, couldnt see the puck, could grasp any sort of tactic or pattern of play, lots of grown up male spectators behaving like children.
Rugby - 1 Wasps game, very very slow, too many re-set scrums and they take so long over kicks and set plays.

Joy Division

For me, any sport where as a spectator you have to be quiet whilst the event it taking place. Snooker, Tennis, Golf etc. I don't think I could resist the urge to shout out some inane bollocks. Especially the tennis, surrounded by all those awful posh tory voters.

Gaz71

The thought of sitting next to someone shouting inane bollocks at a sporting event fills me with fear....... You don't sit anywhere near block 18 do you?

Otis

For me, any sport where as a spectator you have to be quiet whilst the event it taking place. Snooker, Tennis, Golf etc. I don't think I could resist the urge to shout out some inane bollocks. Especially the tennis, surrounded by all those awful posh tory voters.
Yeah, I do find it weird keeping quiet at a sports event. For me sport is about endeavour and effort and striving to be the best and therefore I always like to see action in my sports and as a supporter want to be a part of that action.

The only sports I have been a spectator at are football, ice hockey, American football, speedway and baseball.

Otis

Can't see how people can watch Golf :(
Yep, well that was what prompted the thread.

I saw all these people standing there at the Open and thought, do you just stand there all day?

And as I say, it is 18 holes and therefore if you stay at one hole you miss the other 17 and if you follow a single pairing round you miss seeing 99.9% of the competitors taking part.

Nick

Administrator
Yep, well that was what prompted the thread.

I saw all these people standing there at the Open and thought, do you just stand there all day?

And as I say, it is 18 holes and therefore if you stay at one hole you miss the other 17 and if you follow a single pairing round you miss seeing 99.9% of the competitors taking part.

It is like when people watch Rally driving, they just seen a car fly past.

Gazolba

Curling is pretty boring. Watching someone frantically brush ice is not my idea of excitement.

Otis

I liked it when I saw it for the first time. Akin to bowls on ice.

No idea who came up with the brush concept though.

Would have loved to have been at that meeting.

ajsccfc

Hockey's one I'd agree with, I like it but find it tough to follow properly even on TV, never mind live. The Winter Classic games the NHL put on outdoors though take the biscuit.

Bridgestone-NHL-Winter-Classic-Toronto-Maple-Leafs-v-Detroit-Red-Wings.jpg

Similarly the NBA put on an All Star game at the 100000+ seater Cowboys Stadium. It was made a little easier by the stadium having the biggest jumbo screens in the world, but if you're in the cheap seats you may as well be at home watching the telly

xdRrQJf.jpg

Otis

In some football stadiums though you can be up amongst the gods too can't you.

Anyone been to Nou Camp? That top tier looks miles away from the pitch.

ajsccfc

I think the relatively big pitch in a football stadium means you're never straining too much to see what's going compared to other sports, although I've never liked grounds with running tracks as it makes everything seem too far away

The Reverend Skyblue

In some football stadiums though you can be up amongst the gods too can't you.

Anyone been to Nou Camp? That top tier looks miles away from the pitch.
Been to the nou camp twice, most recently a couple of months ago. The view up in top tier is like watching ants and you most likely would need oxygen masks after a couple of hours up there.
They are also expanding it up to the near 100,000 mark in the near future.
The tour of the medal room and changing rooms etc is fantastic and worth every euro.

W

westcountry_skyblue

F1 for me,I went one year in the april when it rained all weekend at Silverstone(Freebie).
You sit there for a few minutes see the cars go through then wait again.
I think the drivers should draw straws at the start and that decides your car and grid position,Far more interesting!!!

Liquid Gold

Basketball is a good shout, again maybe its because I don't like the sport, but seeing score after score after score surely takes the excitement out of it.

ajsccfc

I've been to see NBA games and it does to a degree, but if the score stays competitive the last two minutes or so can be the most nerve-wracking tension possible as every millisecond is vital. If it wasn't financial suicide they should just make games last two minutes and it'd be the best spectator sport in history.

Otis

Basketball is a good shout, again maybe its because I don't like the sport, but seeing score after score after score surely takes the excitement out of it.
Totally agree.

A goal goes in (or a shot, hoop, putt or whatever it is) and you should be cheering like crazy.

With basketball that excitement and joy is watered down and diluted so much by the constant scoring every few seconds. Takes the excitement right out of it for me.

Scoring a goal should mean something. In football a goal can break many minutes of tension, which then makes it welcomed and cheered so much more vehemently.

How crazy is a score of 110-80?

chiefdave

Personally its any motor sport and rugby. I don't understand why anyone would go to F1, you just see the cars flash past every couple of minutes!

CCFC88

Totally agree.

A goal goes in (or a shot, hoop, putt or whatever it is) and you should be cheering like crazy.

With basketball that excitement and joy is watered down and diluted so much by the constant scoring every few seconds. Takes the excitement right out of it for me.

Scoring a goal should mean something. In football a goal can break many minutes of tension, which then makes it welcomed and cheered so much more vehemently.

How crazy is a score of 110-80?

Never been to watch a game in the US, used to go and watch the crusaders as a kid, so cant really comment on watching live, however in a sport such as basketball where the probability of scoring from an attack is probably as high as 85%, more emphasis is placed on the defensive side of the game.

Having played it to a relatively high level in my teenage years the beauty of the sport is on the defensive side, absolutely working your preverbials of to force the opposition into taking on a low percentage shot or stealing the ball, Id imagine that when at a game there is a bigger cheer for a steal and a breakaway score than there is a simple well worked move resulting in a basket.

Gazolba

The most stupid thing about basketball is that the original height of the basket was never designed with such tall players in mind. The game attracts anatomical freaks (as do a few other sports like Volleyball). The height of the basket needs to be raised about 2 feet so that 'dunking' is almost impossible. Unfortunately, this change would then penalize smaller players. I cannot think of any other sport that so favours one particular type of anatomical freak.

Nick

Administrator
The most stupid thing about basketball is that the original height of the basket was never designed with such tall players in mind. The game attracts anatomical freaks (as do a few other sports like Volleyball). The height of the basket needs to be raised about 2 feet so that 'dunking' is almost impossible. Unfortunately, this change would then penalize smaller players. I cannot think of any other sport that so favours one particular type of anatomical freak.
Sumo wrestling!

chiefdave

Could you not say the same about football? What was the average goalkeeper height 100 years ago compared to now?

FORMULA 1
What about "tinkling" with the basic rules of say F1 - no physical changes to the vehicles but by re-formatting the grid positions eg:
Normally there are 22 vehicles qualifying for final grid positions the day before resulting the fastest occupying pole and the rest cascading down to final vehical - now here's the clever bit:
Let's reverse grid occupancy by reversing the final order by having 22nd in pole and 1st at the end of the grid.
This will surely increase competition with more overtaking and risky maneuvers taking out the normal procession of vehicles we see every other Sunday

Users who are viewing this thread