Who could replace Westwood? (1 Viewer)

bamalamafizzfazz

Unfortunately for us, it is seeming less and less likely that Keiren will be signing a new contract before the end of the season which leaves a gaping hole in our team. Obviously he has been an outstanding performer ever since he first signed and should have been offered a new deal after his first season.

This has led me to start considering who we could get in to wear the No.1 shirt next season,

-The obvious choice would be Joe Murphy at Scunthorpe. Simply becuase like Westwood he is out of contract in the summer and will not sign if the Iron goes down. This would be the cheaper option that may be more tempting to the board. We have been linked to him in the past.

-Joe Lewis from Peterbrough would be another suitable replacement who is also out of contract. He has been player of the season at posh for a couple of seasons now and if they fail to get promoted would probably be keen to make a move to a higher level and although there may be other clubs interested playing for City could be a possibility.

-In the unlikely situation that money becomes available we could consider making a move for Huddersfiled's Alex Smithies. This move seems less likely as premierhip teams are following his progress but as he is still young could use a Championship team as a stepping stone to learn his trade before playing at the top level. This also is dependant on Huddersfield not gaining promotion.

I have suggested three keepers who are still learning and can use the sky blues to assist in their
progression to the top level but there is also the possibility of bringing in a mature head who can have a real influence upon the defense as a whole. I don't know if there is anyone suitable from the premiership who might be out of contract who could consider a drop in leagues to get regular games.

Who else does anyone think could come in and do a job between the sticks next season?? Or do you agree with any that I have suggested??

CovKingChris

Facebook User
Zeljko Brkic from Vojvodina. He is immense. Would be an amazing signing but I highly doubt Andy Thorn or anyone on the board have ever heard of, let alone attempt to sign him. I'd say either him or Smithies. They would be my first two choices but it's a matter of money. I also believe that Smithies will be unwilling to leave Huddersfield due to them being the club he supports.

CovKingChris

Facebook User
Just youtubed Zeljko Brkic because this thread reminded me of him. Forgot how much potential he actually has. He plays for an in debt Serbian club so they might be willing to take any money that would come their way. Around £750k should do it I think.

rob9872

Lots of good options but with cash needed elsewhere it will probably be someone on a free (like Andy Marshall back from the Villa as Westy is heading there) or most likely put their faith in Danny Ireland because like the budgie, he is cheap!

bamalamafizzfazz

Seems a lot of moolah CovKingChris, especially as it is impossible to know whether he would settle in England. Just a quick look on Wiki however says he is 24 years old, 6'5", he has played nearly 100 games, broken into the national team and is also club captain. Where on earth did you find out about him? How are you so knowledgable about serbian football? You are right about Smithies also, he is a bit of a die hard Terrier and would be hard to entice him to City.

CovKingChris

Facebook User
Seems a lot of moolah CovKingChris, especially as it is impossible to know whether he would settle in England. Just a quick look on Wiki however says he is 24 years old, 6'5", he has played nearly 100 games, broken into the national team and is also club captain. Where on earth did you find out about him? How are you so knowledgable about serbian football? You are right about Smithies also, he is a bit of a die hard Terrier and would be hard to entice him to City.

Honestly, I don't know. I just come across random players. Then I look them up. Some are absolutely quality (Zeljko Brkic) and some are terrible. Maybe I should take over from Andy Thorn as head scout ;)

rob9872

Football manager is his friend :)

bamalamafizzfazz

Sorry, who is out of contract Cameron Bell or Brkic? I have never heard of Bell before. Just had a look on Wki (reliable source) and this would not be too bad. Already broken into the national team, would he move from the SPL to the Championship? would we match/ beat his wages? Once again we would face competition from other clubs.
Rob 9872, You could do far worse than scouting on FM, I know Everton have an official contract with Sports Interactive to ownership of the database from the game. Due to how its compiled by fans around the world its a source that would be foolish to ignore.

rob9872

I agree bam, I said similar a while back.

Probably only a matter of time before they come knocking on the door for some managers too :)

bamalamafizzfazz

Well I feel better already, loads of suggestions all round. Just hope AT thinks about checking on these forums. Maybe if he gets the permanent manager's job I could get a job as scout and get paid for playing FM 11 :)

rob9872

Plagiarism alive and well in Coventry :)

rob9872

instead of Wood, Eastwood and Westwood, we could have Bell, Bell and Bellamy. He woudl be a great signing I think - always been a big fan of his :)

rob9872

Plenty of Bell-ends around them too :)

rob9872

Don't panic, I hate Bellamy with a passion and wouldn't want him either. In fact if we must keep it going I'd prefer David Bellamy than have Craig Bellend anywhere near this club again.

Actually I would rather have Lynda Bellingham - she's different gravy ;)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I'd like to see Joe Lewis but I do think other clubs will poach him!

Another is Andy Lonegan (I've mentioned this before) as he's out of favour. But again, he'll b highly sought after and we'd have to do a lot of proving to any player why they should join us. Not ad if we can use the 'this will b our season' line, after the last 10 years!!

sternslovchild

Sorry, who is out of contract Cameron Bell or Brkic? I have never heard of Bell before. Just had a look on Wki (reliable source) and this would not be too bad. Already broken into the national team, would he move from the SPL to the Championship? would we match/ beat his wages? Once again we would face competition from other clubs.
Rob 9872, You could do far worse than scouting on FM, I know Everton have an official contract with Sports Interactive to ownership of the database from the game. Due to how its compiled by fans around the world its a source that would be foolish to ignore.

Thats more to do with the top bods being eveton fans and mot wanting another Bakayoko incident.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Murphy would be ok but he's definately not as good as Westwood. I'd settle for Murphy considering some of the shit we'v had in goal in the past :L... Only other person I can think of is David Stockdale who i'v heard wants to move.

Users who are viewing this thread