Why are Man U crap now? (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

You say that Baz, but I do think the Premier is a bit lacking these days without United's scintillating attacking that they had in the Fergie era. Imagine the PL now as it is but with UTD playing even at the standard of 2013, by no means a vintage year for them back then.

As many have said, Fergie could walk the league with this United side although he'd make sure to buy some decent centre halves ASAP to shore up the back line.

It sounds like someone is a closet Man Utd fan ;) It goes to show just how great Ferguson was, both in terms of tactics but also his overall presence.

tisza

You can go on about the money spent but when the key signing that it is all supposed to be built around is a huge let down you're going to struggle.
All the other money has gone on players to play around Pogba. There is no Pogba backup that the side can be built around.
One of the big advantages SAF had was a large core of home grown players that grew up together. With them he was only having to add a player or 2 a season
Personally don't mind Utd. They were basically rubbish when I was forming my football preferences. For me it will always be Liverpool I hate. As a kid thought it was always unfair they seemed to win everything and had the hordes of plastic fans that went with that:)

oucho

It sounds like someone is a closet Man Utd fan ;) It goes to show just how great Ferguson was, both in terms of tactics but also his overall presence.

I prefer them over the other 'big 6' sides for sure, but it's a bit like cricket lacking something now the West Indies are not as good any more, means the whole spectacle is a bit lacking.

Sick Boy

I prefer them over the other 'big 6' sides for sure, but it's a bit like cricket lacking something now the West Indies are not as good any more, means the whole spectacle is a bit lacking.

It’s been a bit lacking since we got relegated for me, personally

oucho

It’s been a bit lacking since we got relegated for me, personally
More than anything else, I can't understand why, with all their resources, they've so suddenly turned from the big dogs into also-rans. Can't all be due to Fergie magic and David Gill retiring.

tisza

More than anything else, I can't understand why, with all their resources, they've so suddenly turned from the big dogs into also-rans. Can't all be due to Fergie magic and David Gill retiring.
Change in focus from a football club to a money-making business. At least Gill understood football Woodward seems clueless. Possible same argument as Arsenal since they moved to the Emirates.
Change in psychology - not pushing on (e.g. chasing CL) allowed hungrier clubs to catch up,
Man Utd (like other PL clubs) seem to pay well over the top in transfer fees - just because a player cost them 35m doesn't actually mean he's value at that price. Bought Fred for 40 odd million - was he a player they really needed and was he worth that money? Can any club justify paying 45m on a sub? Was Lukaku ever a 70m player to other clubs apart from Utd?

Nick

Administrator
Change in focus from a football club to a money-making business. At least Gill understood football Woodward seems clueless. Possible same argument as Arsenal since they moved to the Emirates.
Change in psychology - not pushing on (e.g. chasing CL) allowed hungrier clubs to catch up,
Man Utd (like other PL clubs) seem to pay well over the top in transfer fees - just because a player cost them 35m doesn't actually mean he's value at that price. Bought Fred for 40 odd million - was he a player they really needed and was he worth that money? Can any club justify paying 45m on a sub? Was Lukaku ever a 70m player to other clubs apart from Utd?

Part of that is the whole deadline day on sky mentality now. Fans want to see loads being spent and then have a silly unveiling event

oucho

It wouldn't surprise me if, in the future, we start to see a trend where buying clubs like Man U start to disguise themselves when trying to buy players. A good illustration of this is when they signed Martial - the selling company had previously agreed to sell him to Spurs not long before, for about £18m. When Utd came knocking, the selling club knew that United could afford a lot more than Spurs so in the same scenario charged double what they had been happy to receive from Spurs. Yes, in an open market where United weren't under pressure to sign, then that may not have happened but I guess that if Spurs had gone back in, rather than United, the fee would have been much closer to the original £18m.

Therefore you can see a scenario whereby clubs will work through agents to agree the fee without giving away their identity in the negotiation, thus masking their potential buying power and preventing the selling club from pumping up the buy-price accordingly. Whether agents could be trusted to keep the secrecy of their buying club clients is another matter entirely...

tisza

It wouldn't surprise me if, in the future, we start to see a trend where buying clubs like Man U start to disguise themselves when trying to buy players. A good illustration of this is when they signed Martial - the selling company had previously agreed to sell him to Spurs not long before, for about £18m. When Utd came knocking, the selling club knew that United could afford a lot more than Spurs so in the same scenario charged double what they had been happy to receive from Spurs. Yes, in an open market where United weren't under pressure to sign, then that may not have happened but I guess that if Spurs had gone back in, rather than United, the fee would have been much closer to the original £18m.

Therefore you can see a scenario whereby clubs will work through agents to agree the fee without giving away their identity in the negotiation, thus masking their potential buying power and preventing the selling club from pumping up the buy-price accordingly. Whether agents could be trusted to keep the secrecy of their buying club clients is another matter entirely...
Part of this is a loads a money attitude. PL clubs too lazy to go out and find bargains or recruit properly.
How often do you see overly-priced players arrive from Germany, France or Spain and the selling club replaces them with a player of similar quality for a fraction of the price? How bigger a % of overseas players in PL are of a pretty ordinary standard but clubs still keep loading up on them for silly money? Reckon nearly every PL club is carrying overseas players that don't regularly get into the matchday squad.
Same attitude in part to blame for lack of players progressing from youth to 1st teams at many PL clubs. Diaz at Man City "poached" by Man City as a kid but now likely to leave for free to Real Madrid as better chance of progression into 1st team than at City.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
According to my Man Utd friend who’s a frequent visitor to Old Trafford the finger points towards Ed Woodward...….

He should have stuck to acting! He obviously knows nowt about footy!
91SgL-ilETL._AC_UL320_SR228,320_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread