Why Are they Always Greek? (1 Viewer)

Can anyone tell me, Why are chipshop owners always Greek? What do they know that we don't. I could understand if chipshop was their national dish, Like you go to the chinese for chinese food. Go to the chippy and get a saveloy and Battered Sausage. As far as I'm aware, this is not authentic Greek cuisine.

Why I asks you? WHY?

dutchman

It was probably to do with the influx of Greek-Cypriot refugees after Cyprus was given home rule? The ones who had worked for the British government were no longer welcome there.

The Greek owners have all gone around here. They're mostly Turks or Turkish-Cypriots these days.

hotrod

It's something I have always wondered especially now as I live in Greece.

Have you ever seen a Fish & chip shop in Greece?

wingy

Great thinking but why chip and not corner shops. Or even Greek takeaway?
Does'nt quite involve the awful hours involved in a corner shop,no risk of smashed crockeryon the restuarant side ,
Going back to Smileycovs post ,BISHBOSH loadsa dosh innit peeps:D

dutchman

Great thinking but why chip and not corner shops. Or even Greek takeaway?

They mostly are glorified kebab shops these days. The fish and chips are just a sideline. We're lucky to have even those. The former Greek fish and chip shop in the Butts is now a pizza parlour, the one at the western end of Spon End (opposite the Black Horse) is a Balti House and the one in Craven Street is an Asian takeaway :(

Marty

My local fish and chip shop is now ran by someone from somewhere in the middle east. Best fish and chips i've ever had (apart from in sea side towns), they always taste better by the sea. ;)

Otis

How many Indian restaurants and takeaways are actually run by Indians? Loads of Pakistani run Indian restaurants and Bangladesh run Indian restaurants and Sri Lankan run indian restuarants.

Don't see many Pakistani restaurants about do you.

I also thought Gregg's was an English bakery. That was until I found out all the sales assistants are Polish.

Users who are viewing this thread