Why can't we (1 Viewer)

asiaskyblues

Having read what Wasps are doing about intigrating into the community you can either hate them or admire them. I don't know much about The Higgs Centre so don't wish to comment because nothing has happened. But, the way the Wasps have come into Broadstreet Rugby Club and really upgraded their facilities is impressive. They now have a club they can work with when they finally build their training centre.
We have Ryton and it is our home, our only home, but if we need to keep the academy going, which has been our lifeblood over the last few years, why can't we upgrade one of the local clubs facilities to use it in the week?
Take Coventry Sphinx. I believe they are part-time and thus train in the evenings and on weekends, so if we upgrade their facilities and relay another pitch so it comes up to standard, we could use it during the day, couldn't we?

Otis

Never been to see Sphinx, but have driven past. Think there is land around, though maybe I am just imagining it.

Would be brilliant to sort out our own future and support another local football team in the process.

Would be a very positive move, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

armybike

There's no requirement for all the facilities to be on one site, so no reason why linking in with Coventry Sphinx couldn't be considered.

Nick

Administrator
There's no requirement for all the facilities to be on one site, so no reason why linking in with Coventry Sphinx couldn't be considered.

But then why wouldn't they just use the pitches at Ryton instead of adding one there?

Otis

Thought they had already said we can't do anything more at Ryton and therefore they would indeed need somewhere else too.

More the indoor though isn't it that is the problem?

Nick

Administrator
Thought they had already said we can't do anything more at Ryton and therefore they would indeed need somewhere else too.

More the indoor though isn't it that is the problem?

Yeah, I think that is one of the bigger issues. :(

armybike

But then why wouldn't they just use the pitches at Ryton instead of adding one there?

No specific reason why Ryton couldn't be used Nick.

The OP raises a fair point which I agree with and believe all options should be looked at - unfortunately it appears Anderson/CCFC aren't doing this.

asiaskyblues

Okay now my idea is going to get strange but I like innovation.

I used to know Ryton many moons ago and so can picture the area. The police still have a training centre there, is that correct? Well why can't CCFC collaborate with them and biuld a training centre there? The police would be able to use it whenever our academy isn't. Oggy used to be a policeman so would know people in the police force, and logistically it's over the road from the training ground. I'm sure the police have good training facitities and 'working with the community' is in both parties interest.

Nick

Administrator

The OP raises a fair point which I agree with and believe all options should be looked at - unfortunately it appears Anderson/CCFC aren't doing this.

I don't disagree with that.

Instead of a local team, I'd prefer some sort of community thing. Rent it out then when the academy aren't using it.

chiefdave

The problem is that the requirements for an academy, even if you accept there is a degree of flexibility, mean we have a lot less room to manoeuvre than Wasps who can do pretty much what they like.

What I don't understand with Broad Street is why they don't just make that their permanent home. There's load of room, it would benefit others and would mean that, as promised when they arrived, there would be an increase in facilities. The Higgs plan will actually result in less facilities for the public.

The best bet for the club is probably the Uni. I could see a joint project up there working well.

Otis

The problem is that the requirements for an academy, even if you accept there is a degree of flexibility, mean we have a lot less room to manoeuvre than Wasps who can do pretty much what they like.

What I don't understand with Broad Street is why they don't just make that their permanent home. There's load of room, it would benefit others and would mean that, as promised when they arrived, there would be an increase in facilities. The Higgs plan will actually result in less facilities for the public.

The best bet for the club is probably the Uni. I could see a joint project up there working well.

Okay now my idea is going to get strange but I like innovation.

I used to know Ryton many moons ago and so can picture the area. The police still have a training centre there, is that correct? Well why can't CCFC collaborate with them and biuld a training centre there? The police would be able to use it whenever our academy isn't. Oggy used to be a policeman so would know people in the police force, and logistically it's over the road from the training ground. I'm sure the police have good training facitities and 'working with the community' is in both parties interest.
I like both these ideas, even if the police one might be a little far fetched. Still needs at least looking at though, even if it proves to be just for a few fleeting minutes.

chiefdave

Where would they build? Even if the club bought back the Connexion they'd only get one more pitch in. They can't build out from the existing site so it would need another site in Ryton. Is there anything big enough that's not already taken or green belt?

We should explore all options of course but I can see it being a nightmare trying to get planning permission to build on green belt up there.

rupert_bear

Have you been to the Alan Higgs centre ? There is enough land there to build 2 or 3 training centres and a new stadium. There you go two birds with one stone, exactly what sisu have said they want all the time.

ccfcway

Have you been to the Alan Higgs centre ? There is enough land there to build 2 or 3 training centres and a new stadium. There you go two birds with one stone, exactly what sisu have said they want all the time.

if only they turned up to the meeting to get that across

Captain Dart

SISU won't build anything anywhere. That isn't their strategy, Wasps got capital from their bonds to build at Broad St & Allard Way, probably about £8M, SISU are desperately trying to make CCFC a break even operation & failing, mark my words the £600K Academy funding is being taken out of the budget.

PS SISU need to keep their grubby mits out of Sphinx and other local Football.

armybike

Where would they build? Even if the club bought back the Connexion they'd only get one more pitch in. They can't build out from the existing site so it would need another site in Ryton. Is there anything big enough that's not already taken or green belt?

We should explore all options of course but I can see it being a nightmare trying to get planning permission to build on green belt up there.

I've not said build there, I've agree the pitches there could be used.

Orca

What I don't understand with Broad Street is why they don't just make that their permanent home. There's load of room, it would benefit others and would mean that, as promised when they arrived, there would be an increase in facilities. .

Funnily enough, I wrote to the Rugby Council planning officer to ask about the conditions that might allow Broadstreet to be a permanent base, rather than temporary. He was kind enough to reply and the headline quote is: "I would say that if Wasps RFC wanted to consider using the site as a permanent location, we would actively work with them to get a workable scheme."

There are a couple of points of issue regarding the size of the facility required against the size of the existing structure (anything new should be no bigger than the existing building scheme - but this isn't a hard and fast rule). The land is green belt, but special permissions exist for developing on green belt for community sporting facilities. The planning officer also pointed out that the site is well screened from the public highway and as such and new facility shouldn't attract objections.

In short, there's no reason why a scheme by Wasps couldn't be developed here.

Hobo

Sphinx is a big site. As is Cov and North Warwickshire.
I am no Wasps fan, never been never will unless they play Coventry Rugby or Ulster, but they do get things done.
SISU announce plans, nothing happens, then blame everyone else.
I see no solutions, so am resigned to supporting the team I have all my life accepting they are piss poor and the manager needs luck and miracles.

Orca

Win win as far as I can see.

There was also talk of Wasps buying the ST land next to Higgs, that all went very quiet.
Re the ST land, I suspect the reason the Higgs is more appealing is down to the size of the buildings already there. A 'kicking barn' would require to have a very high roofline and the AHC already has existing buildings of a similar size. From memory (having played football there a couple of times) is that the ST site only contains a building about as tall as an ordinary house. There would also be access, traffic, parking and a host of other things to consider. These are already resolved at the Higgs, thus reducing the objections on purely planning grounds.

Users who are viewing this thread