Will video technology help or hinder football? (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Oddly other than watching Coventry I am a casual football fan. However I am an obessive watcher of cricket. I think the hawkeye system as used has reduced the current test to a bit of a farce. What do other's think?

wingy

As I don't watch too much ,are there certain formats of the game where the umpire can call for his own review of any decision he's not sure of ,thought i'd seen that In certain formats/modes ? If that Is the case there shouldn't be an issue as Its "On Tap",seems the problem exists when Its limited to a restricted number of challenges from the players.

Grendel

They are allowed 2 each which they keep if they get right.
The third umpire got one decision hopelessly wrong, I couldn't believe the system gave one out lbw today one was out but Australia ran out of reviews. In football how would it work? Limit it decisions still are wrong make it infinite and players will abuse to delay the game. It's a joke. More lbws will occur now in 10 years than the last 100.

wingy

They are allowed 2 each which they keep if they get right.
The third umpire got one decision hopelessly wrong, I couldn't believe the system gave one out lbw today one was out but Australia ran out of reviews. In football how would it work? Limit it decisions still are wrong make it infinite and players will abuse to delay the game. It's a joke. More lbws will occur now in 10 years than the last 100.

Yes but by definition , if they were making Mistakes without It ,and now a challenge can reverse It ,the figures will rise surely,as I said before are there any Formats where the Umpire can request a review at any time he's unsure ,and not in the players hands?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Would it be better if we had technology but the players can't challenge decisions, it is up to the officials wether they want to use it. Like in rugby they only use it if the referee calls for it if he is unsure? The players can't ask for it to be used, is that how it works in rugby? Maybe that would be better.

Covstu

This needs to be controlled by the ref and the ref only. We cannot have players asking for a review like in Tennis, it works in that sport as there are natural breaks in the game. I am concerned that it will slow the game down so the 'calls' need to be very restricted to goal line incidents only.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Surely they can't make cricket any slower than it already is? Waiting for a review on the "Hawkeye" system? Let's all go in for tea!:sleep:

Nick

Administrator
Will it just be "has it crossed the line?" to start off with.

I think it will help personally but I hope it is just for the referee to use as it would get silly calling the captains over to dispute and use a challenge as how often per game is there a "did it cross the line?"

ccfcway

Will it just be "has it crossed the line?" to start off with.

I think it will help personally but I hope it is just for the referee to use as it would get silly calling the captains over to dispute and use a challenge as how often per game is there a "did it cross the line?"

it will start that, but will then go to "did he elbow so and so", "was the fowl inside the box" etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread