Wilson scores again (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date

Sick Boy

But we sold him for a large fee at the time and we also have a sell on clause? I don't get it.

It's better not to get involved.

I wonder if fans of other clubs constantly complain about any of their players who have increased in value in the future?

skybluetony176

Are you serious?

Although the OP goes to the extreme it wouldn't be the first time a player has gone the other way. Two if you take Andy Coles moving from Newcastle to Man U IIRC. Would that players(s) value be included in any sell on clause? Sadly I don't know the answer to that question as we only had home economics not football economics as an option at my school. Perhaps Grendull can tell us? They did at his school apparently.

Grendel

Although the OP goes to the extreme it wouldn't be the first time a player has gone the other way. Two if you take Andy Coles moving from Newcastle to Man U IIRC. Would that players(s) value be included in any sell on clause? Sadly I don't know the answer to that question as we only had home economics not football economics as an option at my school. Perhaps Grendull can tell us? They did at his school apparently.

It wasn't the OP and what he suggested would be criminal fraud and no club would ever consider it.

skybluetony176

Well I can't be bothered to check but I'm going to guess Sixfields as a home record was vastly superior to most at the Ricoh. I reckon third best in the last decade.

That includes seasons when we averaged 20,000 plus. Now I could be wrong but don't think I am. It's certainly better than the league one seasons.

And imagine how much better it could have been with an atmosphere like we had at the Ricoh last Tuesday?

Grendel

And imagine how much better it could have been with an atmosphere like we had at the Ricoh last Tuesday?

So we had a better atmosphere with average crowds of 11,000 that 21,000? Really? That's an extraordinary claim.

skybluetony176

So we had a better atmosphere with average crowds of 11,000 that 21,000? Really? That's an extraordinary claim.

That's not what I said so why you deliberately make yourself look stupid by suggesting I did is beyond me.

I was clearly making the comparison between the library atmosphere at Sixfields and the way a decent crowd creating a decent atmosphere like last Tuesday can lift a team and turn 1 point into 3 points.

Like I said. Let's not pretend that ever happened at Sixfields. Hence my imagine how much better it could have been comment in regards to that season.

Grendel

That's not what I said so why you deliberately make yourself look stupid by suggesting I did is beyond me.

I was clearly making the comparison between the library atmosphere at Sixfields and the way a decent crowd creating a decent atmosphere like last Tuesday can lift a team and turn 1 point into 3 points.

Like I said. Let's not pretend that ever happened at Sixfields. Hence my imagine how much better it could have been comment in regards to that season.

So does size of crowd at home have an impact in your view on results?

In other words would you say the season at Sixfields we would have had a far closer correlation between home and away results than at the Ricoh where a superior home attendance creates a positive impact?

How would you produce a statistical analysis to prove a large home following has an influence? To me that is the barometer,

skybluetony176

we won a few games there didn't we? The same as we lost against crewe with a full house?

I'm not saying we were amazing, but we did get results there didn't we?

Despite the atmosphere. Imagine what more we might have achieved with the twelfth man?

Nick

Administrator
Despite the atmosphere. Imagine what more we might have achieved with the twelfth man?

You are basing it on what ifs then? Sorry I was basing it on facts that we did actually get a few wins at sixfields.

If we had lost every game you would have had a point.

skybluetony176

In other words would you say the season at Sixfields we would have had a far closer correlation between home and away results than at the Ricoh where a superior home attendance creates a positive impact?

How would you produce a statistical analysis to prove a large home following has an influence? To me that is the barometer,

Please. Don't try and pretend that playing at Sixfields contributed to our performances that season.

skybluetony176

You are basing it on what ifs then? Sorry I was basing it on facts that we did actually get a few wins at sixfields.

If we had lost every game you would have had a point.

Do you think TM was wrong to say that the crowd was the twelfth man last Tuesday? Would SP ever have been able to say that at Sixfields?

Grendel

Please. Don't try and pretend that playing at Sixfields contributed to our performances that season.

I'm not I'm asking you what stastical correlation you would use - I await the answer.

Nick

Administrator
Do you think TM was wrong to say that the crowd was the twelfth man last Tuesday? Would SP ever have been able to say that at Sixfields?

Again, you are basing it on guesswork.

You made out as if we had bad results at Sixfields, quiet like a library or not I think we won more than we lost or drew.

I am all for big attendances and people getting behind the club as much as possible, there is still no proof our form would have been better at the Ricoh though. Like when we played Crewe in the JPT when we had a massive attendance.

(This is not me saying Sixfields was good, just basing it on results before and after sixfields form)

shmmeee

A long time ago (around about when we were playing Chelsea in the cup I think) I did some analysis of how we did in games with a larger than average crowd. If memory serves me the was quite a strong negative correlation. It's not for nothing we feel that we bottle it in big games.

The opposite analysis (on small crowds) would be interesting, especially with Sixfields taken into account.

skybluetony176

Again, you are basing it on guesswork.

You made out as if we had bad results at Sixfields, quiet like a library or not I think we won more than we lost or drew.

I am all for big attendances and people getting behind the club as much as possible, there is still no proof our form would have been better at the Ricoh though. Like when we played Crewe in the JPT when we had a massive attendance.

(This is not me saying Sixfields was good, just basing it on results before and after sixfields form)

I suggest you read back Nick, I never suggested that at all. What I did suggest is that we could have had a better season had we been home playing in front of crowds like last Tuesday.

I'll ask again. Was TM wrong to say that fans were the twelfth man last Tuesday? Was SP ever able to say that at Sixfields?

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
A long time ago (around about when we were playing Chelsea in the cup I think) I did some analysis of how we did in games with a larger than average crowd. If memory serves me the was quite a strong negative correlation. It's not for nothing we feel that we bottle it in big games.

The opposite analysis (on small crowds) would be interesting, especially with Sixfields taken into account.

I "think" in the full season we were there we won 10, lost 6 and drew 8 at Sixfields. Could be wrong though. Last season at the Ricoh it was won 5 lost 8 drew 8.

Not gospel, it was a quick count on my phone on Wikipedia so could well have counted wrong!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Probably because more often than not, the fans in the past have got on the back of the team. Fans getting behind, supporting and encouraging the team is invaluable and will be a massive asset this year if the first two matches are anything to go by. Will be interesting to see how the fans react when we don't play well at the Ricoh or go behind.

Nick

Administrator
I suggest you read back Nick, I never suggested that at all. What I did say is that we could have had a better season had we been home playing in front of crowds like last Tuesday.

I'll ask again. Was TM wrong to say that fans were the twelfth man last Tuesday? Was SP ever able to say that at Sixfields?

Yes, the key word there is "could" and not "would".

I thought the fans were great last Tuesday, I am going off facts though rather than should and could. We could well have done loads better, we could well have done worse.

We lost to Worcester at the Ricoh with 4 times as many people as when we beat Sheffield United, for example.

skybluetony176

It's not the size of the crowd it's what they bring to the game. Last Tuesday the crowd although smaller than some at the Ricoh brought something to the game and the team fed of it. That's TM's view too, as expressed after the game on CWR.

Now unfortunately for you I witnessed the atmosphere at Sixfields on the highlights show and also first hand from the hill and it was pretty obvious that the team were never lifted by the atmosphere.

skybluetony176

Yes, the key word there is "could" and not "would".

I thought the fans were great last Tuesday, I am going off facts though rather than should and could. We could well have done loads better, we could well have done worse.

We lost to Worcester at the Ricoh with 4 times as many people as when we beat Sheffield United, for example.

OK you go on believing that the Sixfields team wouldn't have done better over the season playing in front of crowds like Tuesday nights at the Ricoh. I'll go with TM and believe that the crowd can make a difference and we'll just agree to disagree. I can accept that.

Last edited:

Grendel

It's not the size of the crowd it's what they bring to the game. Last Tuesday the crowd although smaller than some at the Ricoh brought something to the game and the team fed of it. That's TM's view too, as expressed after the game on CWR.

Now unfortunately for you I witnessed the atmosphere at Sixfields on the highlights show and also first hand from the hill and it was pretty obvious that the team were never lifted by the atmosphere.

Yet the statistical correlation proves you wrong.

skybluetony176

Yet the statistical correlation proves you wrong.

So the fact that we had a far inferior team last season compared to the previous season had nothing to do with it? It was all down to the Sixfields atmosphere? I guess you no longer blame Andy Thorne for relegation from the championship and an awful start to the season previous to Sixfields? Presumably you think that if we'd been playing at Sixfields in front of that atmosphere SP would still be the best thing since sliced bread? Northampton are really missing a trick here. They should limit the crowd to under 2000 and ban any singing, cheering etc. to create an atmosphere. It's clearly counter productive. They'll be in Europe before you know it.

You're either talking complete shite or you're a genius. I'm going for the first one.

Astute

When we had the best strike force while playing at Northampton we were doing well. Once one was sold and the other one was injured our results nosedived. If what I am reading from a couple was true it wasn't the players we had that got the good results but the smaller crowds that got us the results. If so why did we have a poor second half of the season?

Nick

Administrator
When we had the best strike force while playing at Northampton we were doing well. Once one was sold and the other one was injured our results nosedived. If what I am reading from a couple was true it wasn't the players we had that got the good results but the smaller crowds that got us the results. If so why did we have a poor second half of the season?
Who has said the small crowds got results and where?

Nick

Administrator
What has been said then?
Have a read and see? That there's no guarantee the results would have been any better at the ricoh.

They could well have been, but there's nothing to say they would be which is the statement made.

Nobody is saying it is the small crowds doing anything.

letsallsingtogether

Have a read and see? That there's no guarantee the results would have been any better at the ricoh.

They could well have been, but there's nothing to say they would be which is the statement made.

So all that bullshit we read on here about the crowd getting behind the team no moaning/negativity etc was actually Bollocks then!!!

I knew I was right

letsallsingtogether

You couldn't stop agreeing with Grendel last week!
look if someone is right I will agree but honestly the shit they are coming out with tonight is just unbelievable wuming.
so SP was god while we were at sixfields they sold his best players and our form dipped then all of a sudden he is Crap.

Callus Wilson will never score in the championship one season wonder.
Allum Wilson will not score in the Premises not good enough has 4 goals to his name but hey who else would want him, after all he is shit.
PUSB
Oh and it has nothing to do with blaming Sisu, it is more about laughing at the so called know it all on here who believe all the shit they are fed....

Nick

Administrator
look if someone is right I will agree but honestly the shit they are coming out with tonight is just unbelievable wuming.
so SP was god while we were at sixfields they sold his best players and our form dipped then all of a sudden he is Crap.

Callus Wilson will never score in the championship one season wonder.
Allum Wilson will not score in the Premises not good enough has 4 goals to his name but hey who else would want him, after all he is shit.
PUSB
Oh and it has nothing to do with blaming Sisu, it is more about laughing at the so called know it all on here who believe all the shit they are fed....

No, nobody is saying anybody was god. Just that it is fact we won a fair few games at home. That's true isn't it?

It's funny How you don't mention when tony is going on about sell on fees and imagines words in paragraphs to make the club look bad.

Amazing how you and astute come steaming in without reading, just need dongo next but I guess he is only about court cases.

CCFC_Charlie

So if I'm reading this thread right what SISU should have done is invested in a time machine, gone into the future, seen how Wilson was going to do at Bournemouth and then sold him for £20m? We got the 9th highest fee (6th at the time) for a League One footballer for a player who'd only played one season above the Conference at the age of 21. Anyone who tries to claim it wasn't a good deal at the time honestly doesn't have a clue.

skybluetony176

I said crowds give the team a lift, Grendull say's that the "statistical correlation proves me wrong". He's pretty clear that he thinks I'm wrong and you've been doing a good job of backing him up. Anyone who has a read will see that.

Astute

No, nobody is saying anybody was god. Just that it is fact we won a fair few games at home. That's true isn't it?

It's funny How you don't mention when tony is going on about sell on fees and imagines words in paragraphs to make the club look bad.

Amazing how you and astute come steaming in without reading, just need dongo next but I guess he is only about court cases.

It is amazing how some people only read the parts that go with what they are saying and ignore the rest. Then they pull up the others for mentioning what they have not read.

Whilst on the Callum Wilson part.......some of us took a lot stick when we said he was sold too cheaply. They said he wouldn't make it in the Championship. He was a revelation. Certain people even said it was a good deal for CCFC. But not once has anyone come out with a proper reason why it was good for CCFC. Grendel says it while not saying why. Then he got promoted with his club. He got a big pay rise. The same posters were saying that he wouldn't make it in the Prem. 4 goals in 4 games? The lad is doing well. But no. Some on here carry on with shit about him and the situation instead of admitting they were wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread