Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

pipkin73

Upgraded last night, printers would not work (phoned all my customers to tell them i could not print orders). Really don't like it BUT i need to keep it as i guess it won't be long before Microsoft stop any updates/help for windows 7.
I did get my printers working (AND THIS IS MY REASON FOR POSTING), it appears windows 10 won't suport USB 3 for most printers (but will for gaming), so i had to change all my printers to USB 2 connections. Then they all worked fine. Windows 10 support seems to be for the masses, house printers but not business ones as less people use them.

I know alot of you have businesses like me, just be sure before you update to Windows 10 you make sure you have USB 2 drivers/connections to connect to or you could be in the crap. I lost half a days production (i worked till 8a.m. to make the orders up), but i am only a small company, i am sure some of you have bigger companys than me, so again make sure your business is windows 10 compatable before you do the upgrade.

Alkhen

Had a situation not too dissimilar myself. Shot a wedding last Friday after earlier in the week upgrading my PC to Windows 10. Got home after 11 hours on my feet thinking I'd quickly upload and backup the photos before bed. Could not get the new W10 photos 'app' recognize either of my cameras. Wouldn't work in Lightroom either.even my trusty old card reader failed... I started to panic! finally found a fix at 2:45 am. randomly some old Nikon software laboured to do the trick , but I'm pretty sure there are some major bugs that need ironing out.

pipkin73

Basically, if you only use your pc for minor tasks upgrade (it's nice and smooth). BUT if you rely on your PC for work etc, DO NOT UPGRADE.
In time all the bugs will be fixed or solutions available, but in the mean time don't touch it.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I upgraded to W10 onto the missus' laptop. After it had installed (after about a bloody hour of waiting!), she re-started the machine and up popped a box for her to enter her account name and password. Since she has never had to do this with W7, she was stuck. She didn't know it! After countless tries of entering all sorts of passwords that she could think of, we gave up. We now had a totally useless laptop! I spent all next day, re-installing Windows 7 and downloading all the updates from years ago, because the Windows 7 was from "factory restore" - all very basic!
F**k Windows 10!! :mad:

jimmyhillsfanclub

Having been fucked over by the great Vista debacle of yesteryear....and then my limited experience of the dogshite that is windows 8/8.1....My business will defo be running windows 7 until they drag me out kicking & screaming....

Last edited:

footyfrenzy

I upgraded to W10 onto the missus' laptop. After it had installed (after about a bloody hour of waiting!), she re-started the machine and up popped a box for her to enter her account name and password. Since she has never had to do this with W7, she was stuck. She didn't know it! After countless tries of entering all sorts of passwords that she could think of, we gave up. We now had a totally useless laptop! I spent all next day, re-installing Windows 7 and downloading all the updates from years ago, because the Windows 7 was from "factory restore" - all very basic!

The username and password is a windows live account (e.g. hotmail.) it gives you the option to create one if you don't already have one

Alkhen

The Photo upload problem aside I am actually enjoying using W10. I took the risk because I couldn't stand another moment of W8.1

ajsccfc

You should have got the option to skip the Microsoft/Live account stuff and just use a local one too, that's what I did as I can't be arsed with all the cloud hoohaa. They tucked it away in small font at the bottom I think.

Houchens Head

You should have got the option to skip the Microsoft/Live account stuff and just use a local one too, that's what I did as I can't be arsed with all the cloud hoohaa. They tucked it away in small font at the bottom I think.

Unfortunatley, my missus downloaded the bloody thing one morning while I was still in bed! I went into the front room and she told me it was downloading. We just let it carry on. It was okay for the first day, but then when we switched the laptop off and returned to it next morning that's when we had the "enter password" nonsense. I'll look out for what you said when mine decides to download itself. Cheers for that. ;)

jimmyhillsfanclub

BUMPED THREAD !!

So I need to buy a new business laptop before end of month & as you can imagine, the choice of new machines with Windows 7 pro pre-loaded are getting quite thin on the ground.......

Have the glitches, compatibility & speed issues with Win10 mentioned in this & another thread been resolved now....or am I wise to stick with Win 7 pro for another year or 2?

Cheers

ajsccfc

Windows 10 runs like a dream for me, and I've seen fewer and fewer issues with it as the updates have been pushed out. I'd lean towards making the switch personally.

Nick

Administrator
BUMPED THREAD !!

So I need to buy a new business laptop before end of month & as you can imagine, the choice of new machines with Windows 7 pro pre-loaded are getting quite thin on the ground.......

Have the glitches, compatibility & speed issues with Win10 mentioned in this & another thread been resolved now....or am I wise to stick with Win 7 pro for another year or 2?

Cheers

Seems fine for me now too, nice and quick if you get an SSD!

Houchens Head

After my earlier rants in this thread, I'm quite happy with W10. There are a few things I can no longer use though:
1. My webcam won't work
2. There are no games i.e. solitaire, spider solitaire etc.
3. My built in TV won't work as I no longer have Windows Media Centre, as Microsoft decided not to have it in W10!

As for Pipkin73's first post, I use a wireless printer so no need for USB cable. How are you getting on with it now?

eastwoodsdustman

I cant get Google Chrome to work on windows 10. Tried removing and reinstalling it but doesn't want to know. Having to use Firefox instead.

Pipehitterz

sticking with 7
i have a 4 year old machine thats only of average power, i fear 10 will rip the heart out of it

also the spying thing i hear of is shocking if true.
really want a new machine but finding it hard to find one i want with 7 or 8 installed#

Houchens Head

sticking with 7
i have a 4 year old machine thats only of average power, i fear 10 will rip the heart out of it

also the spying thing i hear of is shocking if true.
really want a new machine but finding it hard to find one i want with 7 or 8 installed#

Spying thing??? Really? :thinking about:

ajsccfc

Nobody's being spied on any more than you are when on the internet normally.

I'd consider it if 7 runs ok, 10 if anything runs better for me.

RegTheDonk

Had a new PC Xmas gone, first time I've had a 100% new computer in about eight years - my lad sorted it out and put Win10 on as a fresh install. Had no issues, virtually everything I've plugged in is recognised, only problem was a USB dongle for some video editing software - had to get a driver from the manufacturers' web site.

Users who are viewing this thread